A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Glacier with KW v3 and HRE content

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glacier with KW v3 and HRE content

Hi guys,

I've enjoyed all the winter pics that have been posted, nice to see the allroad in it's natural habitat.

Decided to make my own 2013 A4 avant as winters tend to be mild around these parts.

So here's the post from the other site:

I aimed for oem or better ride quality/comfort and reduced body roll/increased turn-in crispness.

Big thanks to Jose and the whole team at Euro Tech Motors on Washington in West LA for taking care of the kw v3 install. When it comes to customer service, they take exceeding expectations to new levels. It's always refreshing to experience someone striving for their personal best in every job they take on, and just by talking to Jose it's immediately clear he takes the utmost pride no matter how minor the issue. [up]

Wheels - Mercedes S550 fitment HRE M45 monoblocks Front 20x9 et 39 + 12mm H&R Spacers Rear 20x10 et 39

--Someone actually chrome plated these instead of just polishing [facepalm] but the price w/tires was too good to pass up so I just dipped them [o_o] sorry HRE finish department, although maybe we could work out a shoot in exchange for refinishing with tinted clear and engraving the HRE logo [>_<] Oh hello Lon [hail]

--I actually like the texture on the flat 5 spokes and in most light its pretty close to the grey cladding, it was planned as temporary but its growing on me.

--Given the option of staggered or square, I would have chosen 20x11 et 35 all around instead of adding to understeer but now I can run reverse staggered in the name of science and see the difference in skidpad #'s [>_>]

Tires - Pirelli Pzeros Front: 255/35r20 Rear: 275/35/275

--These would be close to S body Merc factory size tires on these rim widths and don't impact ride quality noticeably, well at least they have less impact then 255/30 on 10.5's [evilsmile] I'm not used to having 2 1/2" sidewalls on 20's and although I'm not the biggest fan of how they look, a big grin shows up when they start rolling.

All in all I'm extremely satisfied with the results although lowroad's pics/commercial always gets me, it's a rolling sculpture but I also enjoy spirited driving and comfortable touring too much to give it up for now. If/when I do, I have a set of 25mm dra spacers for the fronts + move the 12mm to the rear + 245/35 front 255/35 rear tires and spin the coils down 3/4". The fender liner screw was removed so the only minor rubbing was at full lock going through switchbacks but the tire friction just melts the inner plastic so if you run your finger where the screw used to be there's a 1mm curve missing.

Since the pictures I had 3M 30% installed on all 7 windows, pics to follow.

These are just some point n shoot pics, the car wasn't washed and I lack skills:

Old 03-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

That's an Allroad ....not an Avant
Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
That's an Allroad ....not an Avant
He said he decided to make his own 2013 avant (since it's not offered anymore in the US), he wasn't saying that he had an avant. That's probably why he posted this in the B8 allroad section and not in the B8 A4 section.

@Malk
Thanks for the review. I've been waiting for some good pics someone who has dropped it and are running 20s. I'm hoping that they come out with something that's adjustable so that I don't lose my ground clearance completely. But I think yours looks great!

Last edited by nemteanu; 03-04-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@ Malk_: your 'AR-Avant' is looking marvelous! — well done!
I too, thought of installing a set of KWs or H&R coil overs; i definitely will dip my OEM 19" wheels, just as I already did with most of the other shiny bits...
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by nemteanu
He said he decided to make his own 2013 avant (since it's not offered anymore in the US), he wasn't saying that he had an avant. That's probably why he posted this in the B8 allroad section and not in the B8 A4 section.
Coilovers and wheels doesn't make an Avant but I guess a little more sense now.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

@nemteanu

Appreciate the warm welcome and kind words.

As far as adjustable, Accuair just released pricing on their B8 kit but now I can't find it. IIRC it was around $3300 for non-digital and $4000 for digi-iphone app air ride. Bag Riders autopilot kit is $2600. Holes do have to be cut which may be frowned upon by some/all dealers, but they may change their minds after seeing this:

I couldn't figure out how to embed the video so here's a static shot of it:
[img]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8082/8424654535_7c6b4ed784_c.jpg[/img

@bikaa-m

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm fan of the oem 19s, looking forward to seeing the results.
The grill looks much more subtle without all the chromed out plastic, good choice against the daytona grey. I've been toying with the idea of dipping mine but not sure about how it will look against the cladding.
Also thanks for posting that little write-up about plate-holder remover and the after pics. Someone said it left some holes, now I see what they mean.

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
Coilovers and wheels doesn't make an Avant but I guess a little more sense now.
To clear things up, the title on the other forum read:
"B8.5 Glacier allroad w/ KW v3 and some HRE content" but removed the B8 and allroad in the "A4 allroad (B8 Platform)" as it seemed redundant.

As nemteanu pointed out, avants aren't available in the US. That is unless you take the cladding off one of our allroads, you may be surprised to find how similar the two are and that a properly executed allroad could be considered by its owner to be an oem widebody avant. One from Norway has been around since 01/12:

Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So the video did embed, wasn't showing up in the preview. I can't edit the post but here's the missing ] lowroad shot:
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Damn, that is the perfect ride height!

I definitely would've bought an A4 avant if it was available, but I'm glad I got the AR for the OEM widebody nature. Let's be honest, I'd swap out the suspension on an A4 avant, anyways.