Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences
View Poll Results: Keep the German tourist plate?
Keep as is
50.00%
Keep, but add frame or something to improve looks
6.25%
Replace with something that fits correctly
6.25%
Lose it + buy the insert w/o the plate spot
37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

German tourist plates in USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMMTU
Has anyone kept their front German tourist plate on their car when back in the US? I was thinking of leaving it on as a souvenir since MI doesn’t require a front plate. An unexpected result of ED is that my car has a grille insert with the front plate spot instead of the other one that is on all of the other A4/S4s in MI.

Unfortunately, the German tourist plate is much smaller thatn a US plate so there is a lot gray plastic showing around the plate (see pic). Does anyone know where to get a frame that would fit this plate and make it look better or have any other ideas?

Also curious what people think about the way its looks in general.

Thx,
Russ
My wife wanted to do this--we also live in a no-front-plate state.
I think it's not a good idea. Even though it may not be illegal, I was afraid that an out of date, peculiar looking front plate would be a police magnet, increasing the likelihood of a stop.
It's one thing to have an obviously non-license plate thing displayed in front (e.g. "Frankie & Johnny 4ever"), but another to have something that really is a license plate, and an out of date one at that.
So we didn't do it, and hung one of the Europlates in our garage.

Last edited by kgall; 04-08-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked them to save my plates and they made that request. The plates were still on the car when I picked it up stateside. I hear they throw them away sometimes if you don't ask.
I wanted to leave them on but at the dealership several people have asked to have them/purchase them. Given this I decided to take them off as I'm sure they would be stolen in LA.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osicom
I asked them to save my plates and they made that request. The plates were still on the car when I picked it up stateside. I hear they throw them away sometimes if you don't ask.
I wanted to leave them on but at the dealership several people have asked to have them/purchase them. Given this I decided to take them off as I'm sure they would be stolen in LA.
My was!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kgall
I think it's not a good idea. Even though it may not be illegal, I was afraid that an out of date, peculiar looking front plate would be a police magnet, increasing the likelihood of a stop.
It's one thing to have an obviously non-license plate thing displayed in front (e.g. "Frankie & Johnny 4ever"), but another to have something that really is a license plate, and an out of date one at that.
We've had ours like this for a year and a half now and haven't had any issues (police or otherwise). But we also don't take the S4 into the sketchier areas to begin with.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We've had ours like this for a year and a half now and haven't had any issues (police or otherwise). But we also don't take the S4 into the sketchier areas to begin with.
glad to hear it.

Do you drive much in states that DO have front plates? That's where I would expect to see most police questions. If you don't get questions in those places, I may have to admit to my wife I was wrong.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

We did Saab Euro delivery back in 2006. Kept the plate on since as we live in a state that does not require a front plate. They had the long Euro plate so it looks much better though. We pick our A6 up in Ingolstadt on July 12. Not sure what I want to do this time as I am not a fan of the motorcycle plate look. The jury is out. Will see when the car makes it home.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

glad to hear it.

Do you drive much in states that DO have front plates? That's where I would expect to see most police questions. If you don't get questions in those places, I may have to admit to my wife I was wrong.
We drive from Detroit to north suburbs of Chicago every holiday season and haven't had any issues.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chilt34786
We did Saab Euro delivery back in 2006. Kept the plate on since as we live in a state that does not require a front plate. They had the long Euro plate so it looks much better though. We pick our A6 up in Ingolstadt on July 12. Not sure what I want to do this time as I am not a fan of the motorcycle plate look. The jury is out. Will see when the car makes it home.
Have a great trip...I hope to go back someday, as long as they don't move all their production to North America over the next few years.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have a great trip...I hope to go back someday, as long as they don't move all their production to North America over the next few years.
My Audi and 2 BMW at drop off in Zurich. Not quite sure why BMW has authentic European plates for export and we are stuck with the motorcycle plates. It is a shame as they (BMW) look MUCH better.
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2013, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure why you did get the motorcycle plates either. We got the long European one for the front and had to get the motorcycle version for the rear.

Quick Reply: German tourist plates in USA