Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences
View Poll Results: Keep the German tourist plate?
Keep as is
50.00%
Keep, but add frame or something to improve looks
6.25%
Replace with something that fits correctly
6.25%
Lose it + buy the insert w/o the plate spot
37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

German tourist plates in USA

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German tourist plates in USA

Has anyone kept their front German tourist plate on their car when back in the US? I was thinking of leaving it on as a souvenir since MI doesn’t require a front plate. An unexpected result of ED is that my car has a grille insert with the front plate spot instead of the other one that is on all of the other A4/S4s in MI.

Unfortunately, the German tourist plate is much smaller thatn a US plate so there is a lot gray plastic showing around the plate (see pic). Does anyone know where to get a frame that would fit this plate and make it look better or have any other ideas?

Also curious what people think about the way its looks in general.

Thx,
Russ
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't seen any frames for that smaller plate here in Germany. I'm pretty sure its the same size plate they give the Americans that have US spec cars over here and I never see frames around those either.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stuttgartrob
I haven't seen any frames for that smaller plate here in Germany. I'm pretty sure its the same size plate they give the Americans that have US spec cars over here and I never see frames around those either.
+1!
BMW plate looks different and I put my California LP over my ED plate.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tourist Plate

If you want to keep your tourist plate for display in the US, be sure to note it when you drop off the car in Europe. We have a collection of 12, from six EDs from BMW. In 2006, I was a little careless with curbs in France, and managed to mangle two of the 18" wheels and the front apron. When it arrived at the dealer it had two new wheels and a repainted apron. Deductible is only if the car is stolen.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fithian
If you want to keep your tourist plate for display in the US, be sure to note it when you drop off the car in Europe. We have a collection of 12, from six EDs from BMW. In 2006, I was a little careless with curbs in France, and managed to mangle two of the 18" wheels and the front apron. When it arrived at the dealer it had two new wheels and a repainted apron. Deductible is only if the car is stolen.
Actually the trick was making sure the dealer didn't throw them out. When they prepped the car they also removed all the stickers from the windshield (Munich city, Austria highway, Swiss highway). I may not have left them on, but thought they might be neat souvenirs.

One plate is still on the car and the rear is in the trunk until I figure out something better to do with it.
https://forums.audiworld.com/showpost...&postcount=137
Old 04-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RAMMTU
Actually the trick was making sure the dealer didn't throw them out. When they prepped the car they also removed all the stickers from the windshield (Munich city, Austria highway, Swiss highway). I may not have left them on, but thought they might be neat souvenirs.

One plate is still on the car and the rear is in the trunk until I figure out something better to do with it.
https://forums.audiworld.com/showpost...&postcount=137
Do the plates actually stay on the car all the way until it gets to the dealer?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5WERTY
Do the plates actually stay on the car all the way until it gets to the dealer?
Yes. You can put a note, asking to do not remove plates.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
Yes. You can put a note, asking to do not remove plates.
I already dropped off the car and didn't think about a note. So if they stay on all the way to the dealer, then I can just ask the dealer to hold onto them for me?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5WERTY
I already dropped off the car and didn't think about a note. So if they stay on all the way to the dealer, then I can just ask the dealer to hold onto them for me?
Call your SA and ask to put your LP in the trunk.

Last edited by TIME89; 04-06-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
Call your SA and ask to put your LP in the trunk.
That's probably good advice if you want to keep any of the windshield stickers as souvenirs too. Our plates were on the car when it arrived at the dealer and since MI doesn't require a front plate they had only swapped the rear. I did have to ask them for it or they would have thrown it out like they did the windshield stickers.

Quick Reply: German tourist plates in USA