S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

5th Mod - Black Filler Plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5th Mod - Black Filler Plate

Well gents, UPS dropped off my black filler plate today. Ordered from ECS late last week during the sale...came pretty quick! Install took 5 minutes and I love it. Hated having that big grey filler plate there before on my all black car, and didn't want to spend the $700+ for the all black grill (couldn't justify spending that much on a grill).

Now that its on the car I really like the black plate with the chrome surround versus just the all black. It makes it look classy, IMO. Anyway...here's a few pics! Oh yea, and I got real lazy and didn't even pull the car out of the garage when I did the install so I certainly wasn't gonna pull it out to take pics, so sorry for the extreme close ups on my dirty car.
Attached Images    
Old 08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VERY nice! For those of us that haven't kept up, what were the first 4 mods?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by carguyrob
I see rims! 3 more to account for.

The filler plate looks great... subtle.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carguyrob
1. Debadged V6T and put on Supercharged badge
2. 5% tint on all windows (no windshield, obviously)
3. Matte Black VMR V710s (as DrVolkl pointed out)
4. Hardwired my Passport 9500ix radar detector

Not huge mods, I'll admit...but mods nonetheless = )

Hopefully mod 6 will be an APR ECU updgrade!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks great. Could you swap the chrome strips from the original filler for the black ones? I think that would work best.

I actually had the dealer order this one for me but after comparing both on the car the DSB looked (marginally) better with the platinum. I just wish either filler matched SOMETHING on the front of the car. The platinum is a different grey than the rest of the grill and the black is a different black than the fog light section. I think the only way this doesn't look misplaced is on a black or quartz car. All the other colors enhance the fact that it doesn't match anything.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattPec
Looks great. Could you swap the chrome strips from the original filler for the black ones? I think that would work best.

I actually had the dealer order this one for me but after comparing both on the car the DSB looked (marginally) better with the platinum. I just wish either filler matched SOMETHING on the front of the car. The platinum is a different grey than the rest of the grill and the black is a different black than the fog light section. I think the only way this doesn't look misplaced is on a black or quartz car. All the other colors enhance the fact that it doesn't match anything.
I was told by my GM friend who used to head up the paint and body shop that its not easy to change the strips because the retaining fasteners usually break and can't be reused. I guess you could use some type of adhesive to hold it in place if the clips can't be reused.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks great! I like a little chrome to break up all the black. That's just me, I'm not into the completely "murdered" look.

P.S. For a dirty black car, looks pretty clean!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Looks great! I like a little chrome to break up all the black. That's just me, I'm not into the completely "murdered" look.

P.S. For a dirty black car, looks pretty clean!
Thanks! Yea the pics make the car look clearner. Up close there's a fine layer of pollen and some yellow bird poo specs here and there.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I was told by my GM friend who used to head up the paint and body shop that its not easy to change the strips because the retaining fasteners usually break and can't be reused. I guess you could use some type of adhesive to hold it in place if the clips can't be reused.
Yes I was thinking the same about the chrome strips, but upon careful inspection it looked like removing those things is a one-way trip and wouldn't want to have a big horizontal hole on top and bottom.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks really good

Quick Reply: 5th Mod - Black Filler Plate