Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Stab at an ED FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdwk
Why would a bank care where you picked the car up? The VAT obviously will need to be cash, but I assume you pay the dealer not Audi for the car, and they would certainly take a bank check.
They took a bank check from us and cashed it 4 or 5 days after .
As soon the car was returned at the port ,I stop by the dealer and they write me a check .
Old 12-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by patinsd
They took a bank check from us and cashed it 4 or 5 days after .
As soon the car was returned at the port ,I stop by the dealer and they write me a check .
The initial FAQ says you can't get a car loan for ED. Just saying that doesn't seem right.

Q: Can I do this with a car loan?

A: Not that we know of. If a local bank or credit union is willing to give you a loan knowing it's for ED, then
maybe you can.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The initial FAQ says you can't get a car loan for ED. Just saying that doesn't seem right.
I'm not sure why, I think it has something to do with name on the title and who the car is registered to while you're there. Having a lien probably complicates things. Dealers will take any type of money you have. I got two bill of Sales, one before I went for Germany with the price of car including 19% VAT, then a new bill of sale when I picked up the car here in USA with the price of the car plus sales tax and the new actual odometer mileage documented.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was allowed Audi Financing or outside financing from whatever bank I wanted (including my Credit Union) or pay cash in full, since those were all options on the table.

I ended up picking a Lease through Audi Finance...

Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
Right - bimmer get their tire from Edwin tires. My only suggestion - contact Edwin and see what they can offer. It' against the law in Germany drive on summer tires when snow outside.
I got lucky. Audi Ingolstadt, upon telling me how "illegal" it would be to drive with Summer Tires, tried to send me to the tire shop next door and spend €1,400 for a set of tires that no one knew if I could have shipped home. Instead, I asked Audi why my SA and AoA ignored several emails I sent requesting to provide assistance in preparation before arriving in Germany. I told them it was quite irresponsible for them to drop this on me now that I was sitting in the Delivery Hall with everything all planned out. What if I chose to drive off with the Summer Tires? And the insurance being meaningless? Audi Ingolstadt made special accommodations for me and replaced the tires with Winter Tires which they said I'd have to keep as substitute once the car gets shipped to the U.S. -- fine by me as long as they didn't have any export/import compliance or customs issues now that a piece of equipment has changed. I'm glad Audi worked this out! We'll see when I get the car in several weeks...
Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autobahn Speed Limit Map

Saw this on another forum - original link

I've been using the attached Autobahn Speed Limit Map to help plan my driving routes. It's pretty detailed, so one must zoom in quite a bit to see the limits on any particular motorway.

Hope others find this as useful as I have.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...6&d=1364690814
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Autobahn Legend.pdf (783.0 KB, 155 views)
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

(Posted 2013-05-09)

Here’s some information about dropping your car off in Europe and transport times...

All Audis are shipped to America from the port of Emden, Germany. Depending upon where you drop your car off, it can take up to 3 weeks for Audi’s transport partners to truck your Audi to Emden. For instance, after dropping my Audi in Paris, it took 17 days to reach the port of Emden.

To shave weeks off your car’s voyage to America, you might consider dropping your Audi off in Germany: at either the Bremerhaven or Hamburg locations (which are the closest to Emden).

After your Audi reaches Emden, it could languish on the dock for a week or two waiting for an outbound ship. It appears that there are more ships bound for the east coast of North America than for the west coast (Port of Houston, TX). My car is bound for the Pacific Northwest, and so waited in Emden for 13 days.

Once the ship leaves Emden, it could take a month to reach America, depending upon the final destination. In my case, it took 18 days for the ship to travel from Emden to Brunswick, GA. Then another 7 days for it to reach Houston, TX.

As of this writing (May 2013), my car is still aboard ship. I am told that it could take 3 to 7 days for it to clear customs, then 3 to 7 days for it to travel by car carrier from Texas to the Pacific Northwest.

By the way, Audi recently changed freight forwarders. As of April 2013, Audi no longer uses the EH Harms company to coordinate shipments. They now use BLG Logistics (http://www.blg.de), whose USA contact is IFF (International Freight Forwarders http://www.iffusa.com).
Old 05-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lifjoy
I am told that it could take 3 to 7 days for it to clear customs
2013-05-20. Update: my car cleared customs in less than 24 hours at the Port of Brunswick, GA. Four days later, my Audi arrived in Houston, TX. At this point, I don't know exactly where my car is.

Once it reached Houston, I was told that it could take anywhere from one to four weeks to reach my dealer-- depending upon how many cars are at the dock waiting to go through the Audi Vehicle Preparation Center (VPC) in Houston, and if there was any damage to my car during its voyage to America (which would require Audi repair work at the VPC. Port-installed options (such as roof rack bars) are also added at the VPC, which could delay delivery if the parts are not in stock.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default German Alpine road Map

German Alpine road map
Attached Files
Old 06-13-2014, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update on the FAQ

I'm picking up my car this month and just wanted to update a few items.

Q: Can I do this with a car loan?

A: Not that we know of. If a local bank or credit union is willing to give you a loan knowing it's for ED, then
maybe you can.

I told my credit union I was picking up the car I Europe. They had no problem, the dealer will have the VIN after the car is assembled and be able to complete the purchase agreement long before the car is in the U.S.
However, financing through Audi is even easier as you only have to speak with the dealer.
Q: So, what's the big deal with VAT?

A: The only big deal is that you have to have the 19% extra dough temporarily available to do ED.
My dealer had no problem holding a check for the VAT. He placed it in a separate envelope and labeled it so it would only be cashed if the car wasn’t returned.
Q: So, I have to use maps?..like made from paper?

A: General advice is to buy/borrow a portable nav unit with European data loaded. If you have to buy, you can resell
later or use in the US in another car, or save for traveling, etc. I always recommend them to people traveling/driving in
unfamiliar lands. In the past 2 years they have transformed from useless distracting toys, to very useful tools.
If your car has navigation system, Audi will loan you a unit for use in Europe. Make sure they provide it to you at pick-up because the paperwork will tell the drop off location that they have to collect it from you.

Also, get a nav app on your smart phone that can download the maps you need in advance of your trip, so you don’t need data to use your phone for navigation in Europe.

Quick Reply: Stab at an ED FAQ