Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Has my car been abused?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgonzalez
therein lies the question....can the dealership's ECU/computer/scan rewind the history to see how that car's been driven? In hind sight...I should have refused delivery and insist on a car w/ 6 miles....just to be sure. I too will test a car by pushing it hard....I always ask the sales associate if driving the "test car" near it's limits is allowed...I wouldn't want to damage some other future owner's car... the 2 different dealerships both encouraged me to drive their new car as hard as I felt comfortable. Neither seemed to be concerned w/ damaging the brakes, engines, or any other components nor hinted at any type of "break in" behavior. Is there any damage that can occur by driving these hard during this period? There seems to be 2 schools: Drive it like you stole it and baby it the 1st 1k miles.
As you've been told previously, there's no way for the computer to tell how "hard" a car was driven. I think with only 200 miles on the odometer, you're over-thinking this. Unless the car was in an accident or was vandalized, there's little that can be done to harm the car with such a short amount of miles. These engines are very robust, spec underrated and are hard-tested at the factory at max rpm before they pass. The rest of the car really can't be abused other than the bedding of the brake pads and that is easily resolved. Your 4 year/50K warranty would cover just about any problem that might come up.

I bought my 2001 twin-turbo A6 2.7T as a dealer demonstrator with 1800 miles on the odometer. I had it for 9 years and 98K miles with no major problems other than the expected normal wear and tear/maintenance items and a couple of minor warranty covered issues (which almost every Audi is bound to have).

Your car is probably just fine. Take deep breath, stop worrying and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife is suggesting I should write a book on how to stress out over a new car. After 19 years, she should know that when it comes to my cars....I'm both **** and obsessive. You should have seen me agonize between a decked out A6 or a MERC CLS550 3 weeks ago.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Your engine was abused on the production line...

<<<@!1!@>>>

watch this video and if you can't wait just go to the 4:25 point.
Every Audi built is abused like this initially.

I doubt that anyone else driving your car after production did more damage than this.
Do you know how they drive them and laod the ships, from the docks to the trucks? No mercy at all!

A have owned a few Audi/VW vehicles and I always drive them initially like I stole them right to red line as my dealer is just off of I81 and it's a 25 mile ride home, so a a lot of traffic merging was at red line through the gears. Only uses a minimum amount (maybe half a cup) of oil between 10K oil changes and never any engine problems.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 04-23-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My "new" Audi - has IT been abused?

I have been reading this post with interest since I purchased my new Audi A6TDI 10 days ago with 227 miles showing the odometer. Initially, I was not as concerned as the OP about the mileage but, as I posted in another thread, a friend just discovered that my drivers seat back has 2 separate 1/4"knife like" cuts that go all the way through the leather. I am certain the cuts happened pre purchase when the car was being used as a demonstrator. So, now I ask, has MY car been abused?
Old 04-23-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by guitars&cars
... a friend just discovered that my drivers seat back has 2 separate 1/4"knife like" cuts that go all the way through the leather. I am certain the cuts happened pre purchase when the car was being used as a demonstrator. So, now I ask, has MY car been abused?
I ordered a new Oldsmobile years back and my rear seat was sliced by the people performing the "dealer prep" service. They used a razor to cut the protective plastic covering and sliced the side, not the leather seating surface.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Since the engine is designed to rev to its max rpms and the limiter is designed to prevent exceeding it, there would be no fault code unless something else was the cause.
While anything is possible, it seems doubtful 200 miles of hard driving would warp new factory rotors that quickly.

I'm aware of the rev limiter when in park. Can you redline the engine while driving or will the limiter always protect the engine from an over rev?
Old 04-24-2014, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

no it will not protect you from over rv. While you are in a higher gear and you decide to down shift one gear but oops you down shifted 3 gears. that's when you call it over rev'ed. your engine will blow. Rev limiter will only help if you are going up in gears, all it does it bounces the RPM needle back and cutting the power.

for an example. Civic Si. tuners uses Hondata to remove the rev limiter. from 8k to 10k rev limit while driving. once the rev limiter is removed. the RPM will stay at redline constantly it will bounce back and forward at a shorter distance. but if you decide to down shift into the wrong gear your engine will blow. you can always youtube. there are many idiots out there recording doing this to their cars.

Last edited by AudiQ5sleeper; 04-24-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
no it will not protect you from over rv. While you are in a higher gear and you decide to down shift one gear but oops you down shifted 3 gears. that's when you call it over rev'ed. your engine will blow. Rev limiter will only help if you are going up in gears, all it does it bounces the RPM needle back and cutting the power.
I don't believe that can happen in the A6. The auto transmission electronics won't process a manual downshift to a lower gear until the revs would be under the "red line". Also, when upshifting in auto or manual tip modes, the transmission will auto shift up to the next gear at max revs - there is no cutting of the power. Even at max speed (130 mpg in the US), the power stays on but is limited, not cut off. There's really no way to over-rev the engine as it comes from the factory.

Last edited by snagitseven; 04-24-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I don't believe that's correct in the A6. The auto transmission electronics won't process a manual downshift to a lower gear until the revs would be under the "red line". Also, when upshifting in auto or manual tip modes, the transmission will auto shift up to the next gear at max revs - there is no cutting of the power. Even at max speed (130 mpg in the US), the power stays on but is limited, not cut off. There's really no way to over-rev the engine as it comes from the factory.
some lucky drivers are able to blow the engine from over reving lol not sure how but there is always that lucky one lol
Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

During break in why would Audi manual state engine RPMs should be kept at or below 3000 for the 1st 1000 miles? If you can't blow an A6 engine, why bother printing this in the manual?

Quick Reply: Has my car been abused?