Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Has my car been abused?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has my car been abused?

So I just took delivery of a new 2014 a6 with a couple of hundred miles on the clock already. Does Audi have a way to check the car computer to see if this car was redlined during these few critical break-in miles?
Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unusual, mine was delivered with 6 miles on odometer. to answer your question, this is not possible unless a fault is detected, which is then logged in.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by goethe6889
unusual, mine was delivered with 6 miles on odometer. to answer your question, this is not possible unless a fault is detected, which is then logged in.
Several possibilities for the 200 miles; it might have been used for a short period of time as a demonstrator, a loaner or used by a manager. It could also have been driven from another dealer and the customer changed his mind.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by goethe6889
so it is technically possible to red line the engine and NOT have it picked up by a computer scan...(unless a fault is triggered). In this case...there is no fault....but the rotors appear warped (indication of hard driving). dealership is willing to check/scan...but it sounds like this may be a false negative.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgonzalez
so it is technically possible to red line the engine and NOT have it picked up by a computer scan...(unless a fault is triggered). In this case...there is no fault....but the rotors appear warped (indication of hard driving). dealership is willing to check/scan...but it sounds like this may be a false negative.
Since the engine is designed to rev to its max rpms and the limiter is designed to prevent exceeding it, there would be no fault code unless something else was the cause.
While anything is possible, it seems doubtful 200 miles of hard driving would warp new factory rotors that quickly.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgonzalez
In this case...there is no fault....but the rotors appear warped (indication of hard driving).
Originally Posted by snagitseven
While anything is possible, it seems doubtful 200 miles of hard driving would warp new factory rotors that quickly.
There are few warped rotors. Most often the pulsation felt when braking is the result of friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc. New brake pads should be "bedded in" by five moderate to aggressive stops from 40 mph to 5 mph without letting the brakes cool and do not come to a complete stop. Then do five moderate stops from 25 mph and let the rotors cool after each brake application. The bedding in evenly spreads the friction material on the rotors and it heats up the pads to cure the resins.

If your brakes are pulsating, have the shop clean up the rotors with a wire wheel. Turning them down in a lathe will do it too but it makes the rotor thinner which means you will be replacing them sooner. Better yet is to have them replace rotors and pads with new parts.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

When I go to buy a car, I find one in the color I do not want and then test it for performance, braking, handling etc. I then drive the one I want to buy and drive it carefully knowing that it needs to be cared for during its break in period so it is possible that with 200 miles it has been hammered by people with my buying technique.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ECU will log the event of speeding and redlining. this logging is only to be seen by dealers/insurance when there is an event of so called blowing the motor when the owner claims "the engine just blew up"
Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DB22
When I go to buy a car, I find one in the color I do not want and then test it for performance, braking, handling etc. I then drive the one I want to buy and drive it carefully knowing that it needs to be cared for during its break in period so it is possible that with 200 miles it has been hammered by people with my buying technique.
therein lies the question....can the dealership's ECU/computer/scan rewind the history to see how that car's been driven? In hind sight...I should have refused delivery and insist on a car w/ 6 miles....just to be sure. I too will test a car by pushing it hard....I always ask the sales associate if driving the "test car" near it's limits is allowed...I wouldn't want to damage some other future owner's car... the 2 different dealerships both encouraged me to drive their new car as hard as I felt comfortable. Neither seemed to be concerned w/ damaging the brakes, engines, or any other components nor hinted at any type of "break in" behavior. Is there any damage that can occur by driving these hard during this period? There seems to be 2 schools: Drive it like you stole it and baby it the 1st 1k miles.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I did not drive mine really hard until I had the first oil change out of the way at 5000 miles. That first oil degreases, allows for seating and suspends the particulates that are most apparent in a newly assembled motor. After the first change I felt good to go for it!

Quick Reply: Has my car been abused?