Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Too much noise from the road enters cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Actually, aside from my sarcasm, I am. Made the mistake and bought a set of Pirellis for my wife's allroad and had to dump them after 10K miles. The OEM P6's on my B8 A4 were horrible - could never get them properly balanced, were extremely noisy and I finally dumped them as well after 4 months. My '13 A6 came with P-Zero's and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. If you search the forums, there's not a lot of love for the brand.
I know they can be loud and wear out quickly but they don't engineer them that way. I'm not a fan either for the price and performance they offer but they don't design them to suck.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
I know they can be loud and wear out quickly but they don't engineer them that way. I'm not a fan either for the price and performance they offer but they don't design them to suck.
Gator, As I wrote, I was being sarcastic. Of course no sane company would deliberately deliver products that suck but, at least in my experience, they managed to accomplish that anyway.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Gator, As I wrote, I was being sarcastic. Of course no sane company would deliberately deliver products that suck but, at least in my experience, they managed to accomplish that anyway.
Fair enough. I guess your sarcasm flew over my head. We are in agreement about the quality of pirelli's product.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Pirelli designs their tires. Pirelli tires suck.

Therefore, their tires are designed to suck.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Gator, As I wrote, I was being sarcastic. Of course no sane company would deliberately deliver products that suck but, at least in my experience, they managed to accomplish that anyway."

A few years ago, I think it was Kawasaki motorcycles, who built vibration-free quiet bike was building a Harley Look alike; they actually designed-in a vibration so the bike would feel like a Harley and they tried to tune their exhaust to make a "Potato-Potato-Potato" sound to sound like a Harley. Kawasaki had to cease and desist on the Exhaust because Harley Patented that sound.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Pirelli designs their tires. Pirelli tires suck.

Therefore, their tires are designed to suck.
Well, that's certainly a logical way to arrive at that conclusion.
But is it deliberate or just a result of incompetent engineering? That's another question altogether. I suspect the latter but who knows.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, that's certainly a logical way to arrive at that conclusion.
But is it deliberate or just a result of incompetent engineering? That's another question altogether. I suspect the latter but who knows.
My last car came with P-Zeros that were plenty sticky for a summer street tire, but a terrible ride quality (especially after a few K miles). My own personal (and completely unproven) theory is that Pirelli is targeting a cheap sticky tire that allows auto manufacturers to post good skid pad and braking numbers for their vehicles. Manufacturers like them because of the good initial performance numbers, and also how they don't inflate prices like a Michelin P/S2 would.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As posted previously on this thread, I highly recommend you download "dB Meter Pro" (99-cents) onto your Smart Phone. That way, while you drive, you can have someone move the phone around the car and near the windows to see where the sound is coming from. Perhaps you can locate it and then correct it.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

At the risk of being accused of hijacking a thread, here are my comments on the A6 vs. a car I recently rented.
I was in Florida for the 12 hour Sebring race as an Audi guest. I rented an Infiniti FX37 in Miami and drove 900+ miles to Fort Lauderdale, Sebring and finally Tampa. The steering was so heavy I could not park in some spots and every night had aches in my arms. With this super effort there was no feel and the thing weaved all over the road and was upset by any ridge, tar seam, etc. The drivetrain made a constant howling and vibration. Using the brakes gave a vibration through the whole car. This car had fewer than 3,000 miles on it. Overall, it seemed like a 40+ year old truck with manual steering. What a POS!!
The sole feature I wish my C7 A6 had is the TPMS display that shows actual PSI for each of the four tires. This helped me a lot, since the first thing I do when I pick up a rental is pump up the tires a few PSI over the recommended on the door post. I figure I want the best mpg and don’t care if I pound the dammed thing apart – lol.
This car was so primitive I could not believe it.
The steering was very heavy but offered nothing in terms or response or feedback. Now that I am home, my A6 seems like a $150,00 plus luxocar even after the dreaded steering update. I really appreciate the A6 and the Q5 loaners my dealer offers – vastly superior to this FX37. I posted this because my reaction to the FX37 relates to this thread as well as the thread re: steering update.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

This is definitely one area that Audi needs to step it up. Comparing the overall road/wind noise on the A6 to the BMW 5 series showed some deficiency in the A6 - the 5 Series was much quieter in road and wind noise, even with the run flat performance tires vs all seasons (A6).

My previous B8 S4 had horrible wind noise in the cowl/windshield area at any speed over 60, while the A6 is better, I still think Audi needs to work a little harder in that area.

Had a rental Nissan Altima recently while my car had some minor body work done, that car was quieter than the A6 sadly. It was somewhat of an apples to apples comparison since both cars have the conti pro contact tires. Of course it doesn't drive as well, but sad that it was quieter at 75-80 on the same interstate.

Quick Reply: Too much noise from the road enters cabin?