S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

new to the s4 world (whys my eng vibrating)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the s4 world (whys my eng vibrating)

Hi everyone. I picked up an 2005.5 s4 4 months ago . Great car. Has 110k on it. But lately when i get off the highway it starts vibrating bad. I changed the plugs. Still doing it. Mostly when i get off the highway (Then goes away).smooth idle, no cel. Not sure if its the coils? Ive heard about bad flywheels. But on B6 models mostly. Need help.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Genduso - congrats on your purchase. What exactly do you mean when you say "vibrating"? What exactly vibrates? If it was a coil their would be a check engine light.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

u can fell the vibration in the seat , floor. Fells like its coming from the eng. Did it this morning coming off the highway. I parked the car for 4hours. start it up u can fell the eng shake a little then goes away. still no cel. I just scaned it today again.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The vibration gets more noticable higher the rpms go. Fells like a misfire. Dont really fell it letting off the gas that much. Everytime its happened its been getting off the highway. Shifting from 1st to 2nd then it starts. U can fell it at the clutch pedal then the eng starts. Doesnt seem to lose much power. hope this helps. thanks
Old 03-17-2014, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure what all has been done to your car but, I would start with checking engine mounts(x2)and snub mount. Does your shifter vibrate as well? I assume, they could all be shot - qucik easy way to check is; put car on ramps, take off skid plate and check for pink-black fluid at engine mount points. While you are underneath check your snub mount. The oem snub mount is POS rubber and with excessive engine movement can easily come apart.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I will check that thanks. If its the mounts would the vibration come & go?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

No, it would not be an on/off symptom. You would notice it through out rev range during shifting, especially in 1st-2nd (high torque gears). How is your clutch (solid or not so solid)?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

clutch seems ok. Im hoping its a bad mount like u said. The car runs great. Doesn't make sense that it only does it after im on the highway!? & not everytime. I drove it home today...perfect. wtf
Old 03-17-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just went through this with my '04. While I can't say for sure because you don't describe from where the vibration appears to be coming, but mine happened to get the pilot bearing in the flywheel. In my case, the vibration was intermittent, but reminiscent of bad motor mount. The vibration also made me think it was a bad coil, but that wasn't the case as the idle was smooth and the car ran smoothly. Involved a rather expensive repair, but that appears to be the norm for repairs to this platform. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Genduso
Hi everyone. I picked up an 2005.5 s4 4 months ago . Great car. Has 110k on it. But lately when i get off the highway it starts vibrating bad. I changed the plugs. Still doing it. Mostly when i get off the highway (Then goes away).smooth idle, no cel. Not sure if its the coils? Ive heard about bad flywheels. But on B6 models mostly. Need help.
I have owned My S4 for 8 years now and I have had my share of problems... Does the Car Vibrate when you are idling or do you have to be moving to experience this?

If it is vibrating when you are at idle you can just look at the engoine and see if you have excessive movement? If you have to be moving then it might could be Wheels, tires suspension???
Also Is it Speed related.

Quick Reply: new to the s4 world (whys my eng vibrating)