A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems to look for when buying

Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Your list of potential problems is good but you exaggerated here and there. Strut is $1500 new and $700 rebuilt. Compressor $400 new.

Easy and cheap to fix.

This part is not true at all. You can change and combine tires as much as you like. They just should be same nominal size.

New module is $500. Replacing takes 15 minutes if you do it first time.

Wrong again. It is easy fixable by just simple ATF change. 5-6 liters at $16 and no hoot at all. No need for a pan drop or filter at all. No deposits of any kind.

Part about 100K+ is just plain wrong.

You are quite right here, but you forgot growing market of used parts. Nobody would use them on a $100K car, but on a $15K car why not.

At the end I can add electric/electronic gremlins, 2004/05 special. Most of them caused by a week contacts. Easy to fix if you can find it.
Agreed. Also, your "horror stories" of ATF flushes at higher mileage are just an old wive's tale. If you change the ATF and then your gearbox blows up, it was on its way out in the first place. If I bought one that was at 100k, and it hand't been changed, that'd be one of the first things I did, along with the diffs.

As Mishar pointed out, you don't need to bend over and give $2500 to the dealer for fresh ATF. Few hours of your time if you know what you're doing, and a few hundred bucks for fluid and filter.

Certainly be aware that upper control arm bushings are a major wear point on these cars, as they are grossly undersized. Many opt for urethane bushings, which last forever and feel great when driving, but will require frequent greasing to keep them quiet.

Mishar, did you ever get anywhere with the spherical bushing idea?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I stand corrected

Still would like a link to that $400 new compressor though.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nick Conlon
Well I stand corrected

Still would like a link to that $400 new compressor though.
I've spotted rebuild kits for far less than that. It seems like most failures are worn piston ring, unglued motor magnet, or an overheat tripping something. I think I would get awfully creative before forking over that much cash.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I appreciate all of the information. I'm leaning more and more towards the audi, as the common faults on my bimmer seem to include every component on the car, even with extensive dealer records. Every single suspension component seems to wear out every 75k, every single one (bushings, ball joints, struts, strut mounts, control arms, etc). Plus cooling system, timing chain nonsense, and transmission. At least the audi seems more reasonable. I'm figuring I'll have a vag-com for my mom's touareg before hunting for an Audi
Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sure is refreshing to see someone doing so much research before hand instead of thinking they 'got a deal' and crying later.

Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon
I think I would get awfully creative before forking over that much cash.
That perspective combined with DIY skills, VCDS and the hive mind here will make you a happy owner

Last edited by jakematic; 01-21-2014 at 09:48 AM. Reason: typographical error - stupid keybaord
Old 01-21-2014, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
It sure is refreshing to see someone doing so much research before hand instead of thinking they 'got a deal' and crying later.

That perspective combined with DIY skills, VCDS and the hive mind here will make you a happy owner
Very true.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default If you pick the right one... Don't have to do much... just enjoy

I got mine 06 A8L in March 2013, besides all the mods, the car hasn't given me any problems, yet... I haven't even changed the oil yet 14k miles already. Will do in the next few weeks. Doesn't even burn oil. Solid car.
Got all the parts, but the car still performs so well, hate to fix something that work... :-) Spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, oil extractor, rear brake pads...

Cheers,

Louis
Old 01-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's another question. On my bimmer several things have gone bad that would leave me stranded like alternator, cooling system, transmission. I'm fine with fixing things as needed, as long as the car isn't constantly leaving me on the side of the road. Are the Audi issues usually the type that I can get myself back home to fix myself?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon
Here's another question. On my bimmer several things have gone bad that would leave me stranded like alternator, cooling system, transmission. I'm fine with fixing things as needed, as long as the car isn't constantly leaving me on the side of the road. Are the Audi issues usually the type that I can get myself back home to fix myself?
Let me guess 7 series? I'm an ex 745Li owner... I haven't read about anyone getting stuck, but I could have missed it.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by krazzz
I'm just guessing but I think he meant don't do a power flush. In my opinion it should never be done on any car, at any mileage, ever! A simple pull the plug and drain can never hurt your car. Last month I pulled the pan and did the filter too at 123k. Everything looked fine and knowing what I know now I would have just done the fluid only. There was almost no build up on the pan or magnets. I do feel better knowing it isn't full of metal shavings so I guess it was relatively cheap peace of mind. I do plan on draining the fluid again after 5,000 miles just to get more of it out. I think I had about 50% drain.
Only way to do a power flush would be to make custom connection that would be hooked instead of ATF cooler.

I agree with you on that simple ATF change. Twice even better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems to look for when buying