Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Oil analysis TDI @ 625km

Old 01-15-2014, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

These engine break-in/"when to change oil" threads come up regularly on all of the AudiWorld forums and elsewhere. I've always felt that Audi has spent huge amounts of money for research and years of experience, consequently, they really ought to know how best to break in and maintain their engines for best performance and longevity. So, for me, over 13 years and 4 Audis, the manf. manuals trump any other "recommendations". It's worked out well so far.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
These engine break-in/"when to change oil" threads come up regularly on all of the AudiWorld forums and elsewhere. I've always felt that Audi has spent huge amounts of money for research and years of experience, consequently, they really ought to know how best to break in and maintain their engines for best performance and longevity. So, for me, over 13 years and 4 Audis, the manf. manuals trump any other "recommendations". It's worked out well so far.
This is mostly true...but tell that to all the 1.8T and 2.0T owners who followed their maintenance and were rewarded with low oil pressure sludge and junk engines before 100k miles. Although plenty of rebuilt engines go on in life fine without any special break in oil. I would think the OP is fine just drive it.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
This is mostly true...but tell that to all the 1.8T and 2.0T owners who followed their maintenance and were rewarded with low oil pressure sludge and junk engines before 100k miles.
For those affected, was that due to following Audi's break-in recommendations or a defect in design that would have occurred regardless? I've not seen empirical data evidence either way. In any case, I'm not saying Audi is infallible, just that following Audi's recommendations vs. that of all the conflicting internet advice is more likely to provide the best overall results for the majority of owners.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd be hearing it by now on the Q7 since 2009. It's not an issue.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default VW 507.00 oils for TDI thus a 5W30 oil!

Originally Posted by Superfly_A6

Oil analysis point out that the oil looks closer to 0w30 properties.
Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks.
VW specifies 507.00 spec oils for the TDI. This is a 5W30 oil. Google VW 507.000 and you will get lots of these 5W 30 approved oils.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Perl, that's a good point. FWIW, all 507.00 oils are 5W30 but tend to be a "thicker".
Old 01-16-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is 507.00 synthetic? I take my pickup to a commercial truck shop, and they only use a diesel-only oil which is dinosaur oil.

I've seen synthetic diesel-only oil at Pep Boys, but never use it. I wonder if it's similar to 507.00. Same viscosity rating.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Street
Is 507.00 synthetic? I take my pickup to a commercial truck shop, and they only use a diesel-only oil which is dinosaur oil.

I've seen synthetic diesel-only oil at Pep Boys, but never use it. I wonder if it's similar to 507.00. Same viscosity rating.
All 507.00 oils are going to be some form of "synthetic". This VAG spec could never be met with dino-oil base stock.

Yes, Pep Boys sells a compliant 504/507 oil from Mobil. It's approaching $13/L.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
There's a ton of great info here on Audiworld, make you own decision on the correlation. My experience is posted just to say that as one who followed the breakin and first oil change and is not having excessive consumption. What I remember of these decade-old discussions is that of the people complaining of excessive consumption, many/most had changed early. That doesn't mean that everyone who changed early had problems, just that it appeared that there was a strong correlation between having problems and having changed early.

One theory is that modern machining tolerances are so tight that rings *NEED* those suspended metal particles to seat properly. I'm an electrical engineer, not a mechanical engineer, so I'm staying mostly out of that. Search the forums, read the postings, make your own decision - just make it informed, not based on 20-30yo conventional wisdom. YMMV, professional driver on closed course, etc, etc, etc.
I also did an early oil change at 1000 miles and my logic was to remove the suspended particles so that they would not imbed themselves or scar bearing surfaces. I do not see how shavings will help the rings seat properly. My thinking on this subject would be that rings seating properly would be a directly related to cylinder pressures and proper progressive loading of the engine during initial run in. Do not idle your engine or hold constant speed/rpm for xxxx amount of miles/hours. This is easier to control with a manual transmission but is still fairly easy to do with the automatic. I further question the correlation between early oil change and oil consumption due to other factors such as "babying" the engine that may not have been taken into account.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Oil type as per manual

So I've been to the dealer one more time. They have confirmed that they used 5w40 Castrol Synthec (sp) oil in my oil change. When talking to the service manager he also confirmed that he has heard of higher consumption for people that have changed the oil early. Now, when he says higher consumption, he means more than usual. He said that the DI engines burn oil, and this is normal.

When asking him where are these assumptions (of higher consumption if changing oil early) come from he said its not as much with ring seating as with the non-detergent oil taking away the laser etched piston skirt something blah blah blah .... I didn't fully get what he was saying and he said the broken English of the engineer who explained this to him didn't help either. I'm not sure that leaving the oil with metal particles from initial break in is beneficial to break in. Only long term results will tell.

In any case, the oil change is done and I am not worried about it. My intention is to still do another oil change at 2,000-2,500, perform the oil analysis and then stick to Audi intervals of ~ 8,000km or so.

FYI, The picture is straight from the manual and it shows acceptable oil viscosity for diesels.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil analysis TDI @ 625km