A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2001 Audi A6 2.7L Biturbo Quattro.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the end I'm expecting to spend about $8k in performance upgrades. A chip an exhaust and I better air filter. And then possibly a transmission overhaul.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pyrobionic
In the end I'm expecting to spend about $8k in performance upgrades....
All these guys telling you to chip and upgrade exhaust; not required!
I'll make you an offer. Give me $6k and I'll get you a home-made but, well built jet engine! We'll mount it in the trunk. You won't really need the engine so, we'll just remove it and put in a bigger gas tank. You can use extra space for luggage or some high powered stereo system. Imagine the bass coming from the front.. all these people got it wrong, they put it in trunk..

All you need to do is upgrade the wheel bearings and that shouldn't cost more than a $1k at a reputable shop. You are saving $1k!

After you fire this thing up, there isn't a cop car in United States that can catch you! I guarantee it*!

*shipping/handling not included. Warranty will be void if found that you are not capable of evading cops. And/or, if your wheel bearings fail. Aerial assault not covered.

Last edited by tester123; 01-11-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In the end I'm expecting to spend about $8k in performance upgrades. A chip an exhaust and I better air filter. And then possibly a transmission overhaul.
Save a few grand for the unexpected stuff. It sucks blowing your wad on a stage upgrade only to be grounded by some silly mystery of a problem that you end up bringing in the heavies (dealership) on.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For serious power, consider swapping in a manual transmission as the first mod. Bryan from audis4parts.com sells a kit. He does installation as well but you'll have to ship the car over to him. That will run you about $4-$5K.

You can then upgrade turbos to K04 or Frankenturbos, larger intercoolers, and do a stage 3 build with about 500-550 horsepower at the crank.

This will take you close to $10K in total.

You can also sell your car and buy another A6 2.7T that already comes with a manual transmission.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nialist
Pyro, don't listen to these "experts" giving you "advice" here. 4Driver4 is actually a Chechnyian chemist that lives in my basement and SLOOPB is my neighbors kid. I have several parts to recommend: My old oil pan lower portion $50 w/ gasket chunks, and the elusive 3rd T30 Bolt (previously lost) for the headlight mount that i stepped on last night whilst barefoot and now must die - $3 plus s/h, My old diverter valves (if you don't know what these are, YOU NEED THEM NOW - $450 (the others may say you don't need them, but they are just losing their cut of the pie when they do), and several hose clamps that I got from the russian mob for owing them a favor later - $FREE!!!!!!…. if you do me one favor.

To make sure Turbos are operable just have one more drink after your post here and go out on the nearest well lit road with a Walmart on it and drive with your lights off. A 4am police pursuit is how i grasped the handling characteristics of a stolen milk truck, so it should work for an Audi. But i have been wrong before.

Ok, enough. GIAC or APR offer software for your vehicles computer to raise your HP. When you blow her up, gimme a heads up on what appears intact as far as parts (human or car). You could search your local area on craigslist for VAG-COM or ROSS-TECH and see if any slack jawed-mouth-breathers near you could hook up their computer and go for a spin for data collection. I bet if you drop him off before the Walmart thing, he wouldn't charge you much, if anything.

I'll be awaiting your response on the parts for sale.
Nialist!
Please follow this forum rules: All posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So does the triptronic make it easier or more difficult to swap the tranny to a manual?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So does the triptronic make it easier or more difficult to swap the tranny to a manual?
Audis come either in manual or automatic (tiptronic) version. If it's not a manual, and you want some serious power, you want to swap a manual into it. There is a lot of labour involved, so it's not that simple, but still doable.

Would likely be cheaper to sell your tiptronic car and buy a manual A6.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forgive me; Every now and then, the inner child gets out... I was just joking about the jet engine (think about it though) .

Can you please let us know why you have picked this 2.7T to do all these changes? Was it handed to you? You found it? Why not look into a muscle car or something that can be tuned rather easily i.e. Camaro, mustang... that sort of thing? I know, work is work on any car but this car is more complex, has more moving parts and, they are expen$$$ive. If you are looking to have lot of power, trust me, there are other cars that can put the 2.7T in its place (no offense to any current owner(s)). Heck, I even beat a modded 2.7T once with my stock 4.2 running 94 octane. Don't know all the details; trying to talk to that driver @ 65mph is not so easy... in traffic (oh, those crazy days)... Anyway, I ask you again, why this car?

How many miles are on your car and out of curiosity, what's your age? I asked your age only because if you are going to work on it, you'll be spending quite a bit of time, and more, under your beloved car. So, with your priorities and all into consideration, are your ready for that sort of commitment?

Last edited by tester123; 01-12-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tester123
Forgive me; Every now and then, the inner child gets out... I was just joking about the jet engine (think about it though) .

Can you please let us know why you have picked this 2.7T to do all these changes? Was it handed to you? You found it? Why not look into a muscle car or something that can be tuned rather easily i.e. Camaro, mustang... that sort of thing? I know, work is work on any car but this car is more complex, has more moving parts and, they are expen$$$ive. If you are looking to have lot of power, trust me, there are other cars that can put the 2.7T in its place (no offense to any current owner(s)). Heck, I even beat a modded 2.7T once with my stock 4.2 running 94 octane. Don't know all the details; trying to talk to that driver @ 65mph is not so easy... in traffic (oh, those crazy days)... Anyway, I ask you again, why this car?

How many miles are on your car and out of curiosity, what's your age? I asked your age only because if you are going to work on it, you'll be spending quite a bit of time, and more, under your beloved car. So, with your priorities and all into consideration, are your ready for that sort of commitment?
No offence, I used to own a 4.2 A6 before, but the 2.7T with a manual is already faster than the 4.2 in stock form, no modding required. 2.7T auto is a hair slower, but with a stage 1 tune (which costs about $500-$600), will push the car to 320 HP and 340 TQ. Guys with stage 1 tune run high 13s in the 1/4 mi.

My Allroad is a heavy pig, but with stage 1 tune it traps 96 mph. The best trap speed I got out of my A6 was 94 mph. Clearly the Allroad has a better power to weight ratio, albeit minuscule.

Where the 4.2 really shines is the beautiful instantaneous torque of the V8, and at much lower RPM. It also pulls nicely on the highway as it revs.

In any case, neither mustang nor Camaro provide the utility of the A6. And to get it to deliver some serious power is not that bad, provided you start with the manual transmission.

The stock engine comes with 250 HP. It is a strong enough block to handle 550 HP on stock internals. Much more if you build it, though.

At the end, I would say it has high mod potential, fairly easy too. And it will trap 115-120 mph with stock internals. It is a pretty good platform for modding.

I had a Z28 Camaro, so I know those cars can be monsters with some minor work (swapping in cams, long tube headers, etc,) but at the end, it's not a family car.

I still think the OP is starting with the wrong car.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got this car for a great price I've always wanted an Audi. And the cars is worth a lot more then I paid. I so when I found it I took it. Has 100k miles on it a full service record and no accidents on carfax. And the turbo is dinner to play with in my opinion. I had a 2.8 jetta manual. But the car just didn't have the physique this Audi does. And the jetta would not pick up like this ether no matter what I did to it. So basically I traded in my VW for its bigger brother.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Audi A6 2.7L Biturbo Quattro.