Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Being taken advantage of by Audi Dealerships.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being taken advantage of by Audi Dealerships.....

I took my SQ5 to my normal Audi dealerships about a week ago to get my brakes changed. They informed me that I need rotors and brakes done. I did not allow them to work on my car because I never heard that every time tou chamge brakes you have to change rotors. I took my car to a third party shop and they informed me that I needed rotors and brakes on all 4 wheels. Both shops indicated that my rotors thickness was below Minimum requirements, but nobody could tell me the thickness of rotors when they are first put on. Being in a position where the service agent and the mechanics could not answer my question I started questioning their information.

I scheduled another appointment with another Audi dealership and decided to only get my back brakes down. After calling Audi USA, other Audi dealerships and trying to contact the manufacture of my rotors, I was stuck to take my own advice. I took my car to the shop at 8am, they called me at 1pm to indicate that my rotors were within standard limitations (the previous dealership and mechanic shops indicated my rotors were too low). The service agent indicated that I could replace my brakes, which are covered under my Term Care Protection Plan. The service agent then indicated that I needed to pay for labor. I called Audi USA to speak to the warranty department about my plan. I was told that Audi USA approved parts and labor cost for the dealership. I called the dealership back to tell them the information that I received from the warranty department. The service agent indicated to me that it was going to take 2 hours to repair brakes and the warranty department only approved 1 hour for service. I called the Warranty department back and they indicated that 2 hours is not standard time frame to repair ONLY brake pads. The warranty department said it should only take 1 hour to complete the job. Remind at this point I'm waiting on the service agent to call me back. An hour passed before he called back to let me know that I will not be required to pay for labor.

My problem is I have been told a lot of different things from the Audi dealerships that I have taken my car to over the last week. And to me it seems as though Audi service agents were trying to get over on me with making me pay for service that I didn'tneed or my warranty covered. I have heard that women get mistreated at mechanic shops. I do not like dealing with dishonest agent's that I put my trust into. I should be able to trust whatever service agent I take my car to that is connected woth Audi.

I want to know if anybody has an recommendations for making a compliant successfully. I love my car but I'm having BAD experiences with Audi dealerships and it's an unpleasant feeling.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:01 AM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very typical. They are most likely trying to rip you and the warranty company off.

You need to be aware of the games they play an call them up.

However, I usually do my own brakes and will change the rotors while I am doing the brakes bec it is pretty easy to do.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Rotor thickness

Front should be 380mm by 38mm and rears 330mm by 22mm. If that is in fact your rotor size then the 38/22mm is the new rotor thickness. 36/20mm is the wear limit set by Audi.