S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Serious Misfire, Shaking at idle, not coilpacks 2005 B6 S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after about 4 months i finally figured out what happened to my car. I have another vehicle so i took my time.haha

1) i changed my spark plugs and coil packs. spark plugs definitely needed changed. ~$60
2) i went ahead and changed all the coil packs even though there was nothing wrong with them. just maintanence insurance i guess.$240
3) i removed the MAF and used an entire can of MAF cleaner on it. $4
4) checked for any vacuum line problems. found none. $0
5) tried starting it and the car ran like sh@# still. acted like it wasnt getting fuel.
6) removed fuel line to see if fuel was in the fuel line. there was fuel and fuel pressure but after reattaching line. vehicle didnt run. no fuel was getting to the engine. definitely fuel pump.
7) towed the car to the dealer to have them change fuel pump. $450 fuel pump, $300 labor, $150 diagnostic, $30 filter
8)ran fine for 24 hours, then started having ths ame issue. the engine wasnt getting fuel. had the car towed to the dealer.
9) dealer put fuel in the vehicle and it ran but had a weird roughness to it. $0
10)told them to diagnose it again and clear the codes. the car ran fine then.
11) dealer said my fuel level sensor may be bad and the car is running out of gas but says it still has a 1/4 tank left on the gauge.
12) car runs like new for the last 3 days. i am going to watch my mileage and fuel usage. they said it would cost ~$750 to change sensors.

Originally Posted by Audi Baron
I had the same issue begin happening to me 2 days ago at the end of a tank of gasoline just after i added Chevron Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner (for 12gal treatment). i think it is the fuel system messing up. I work for chevron corp and will be reporting this to them to see if this is a common issue. i will be changing my fuel filter first then following this list of checks:

1) check and clean MAF sensor (new one is $30)
2) check fuel pump (i doubt anything is wrong with it.)
3) replace cam shaft position sensors ($30)
4) replace spark plugs, coil packs, and injectors ($1,000 it needs it anyway)
5) check the chain tensioner.
6) if I find that it is the fuel system components i am going to my complain to my company for screwing up my car
7) post my results and hopefully help you and others out.

2004 Audi S4 $111k miles
Old 03-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Replace your spark plugs

Replace your spark plugs. DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE, BUT NGK plugs.

I replaced mine and the problem went away.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Attached is my link that I had posted in the 4.2 thread about the same problem I was having with my car. I ended up with a major overhaul. Hope this can be some help to you.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2812830
Old 09-07-2013, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default ITS CARBON BUILDUP!!!

So after about 4 months i finally figured out what happened to my car. I have another vehicle so i took my time.haha

1) i changed my spark plugs and coil packs. spark plugs definitely needed changed. ~$60
2) i went ahead and changed all the coil packs even though there was nothing wrong with them. just maintanence insurance i guess.$240
5) tried starting it and the car ran like sh@# still. acted like it wasnt getting fuel.
6) removed fuel line to see if fuel was in the fuel line. there was fuel and fuel pressure but after reattaching line. vehicle didnt run. no fuel was getting to the engine. definitely fuel pump.
7) towed the car to the dealer to have them change fuel pump. $450 fuel pump, $300 labor, $150 diagnostic, $30 filter
8)ran fine for 24 hours, then started having ths ame issue. the engine wasnt getting fuel. had the car towed to the dealer.
9) dealer put fuel in the vehicle and it ran but had a weird roughness to it. $0
11) dealer said my fuel level sensor may be bad and the car is running out of gas but says it still has a 1/4 tank left on the gauge.
12) car runs like new for the last 3 days. i am going to watch my mileage and fuel usage. they said it would cost ~$750 to change sensors.

SEAFOAM THAT ENGINE!!!
I HAVE OWNED 3 OF THESE CARS ALL HAD EXACTLY SAME PROBLEM!
it is carbon buildup on valves,valve body thats all!
Old 02-03-2014, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an'06 S4 that developed the same symptoms after a fill up and went from running fine to dropping 1,2 then 3 cylinders until it would't pull at all. Coasted into a gas station, added dry gas and started it but still ran so rough, had to have it towed. Codes on 5 different cylinders misfiring. My mechanic is saying catalytic converter, I haven't seen that mentioned here, is he leading me astray?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just throwing it out there but has anyone checked the engine oil filler cap?
My 05 S4 was behaving erratically and bogging down off the line. Misfire codes were intermittent. Also I thought my power steering pump was going out due to odd humming at idle which changed as I turned the wheel. Flushed the fluid and no change but as I'm trying to find the source of the noise I pressed down on the oil filler cap and the noise went away! Loosened the cap and the car began to stall and misfire - too much post MAF air entering intake. Lots of suction on the cap so will be checking PCV valve which is only about a year old - just in case.
I had just changed the seal a few weeks before as it was cracking and seeping oil a little. The new seal was apparently now flexible enough to resonate under mild vacuum. As a quick fix I put both seals on the cap to make it extra tight and the noise has gone. So has the misfire and the boggin down from take-off. New cap on order. Steering is still quiet!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default SELL NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

Originally Posted by BOsA6
Attached is my link that I had posted in the 4.2 thread about the same problem I was having with my car. I ended up with a major overhaul. Hope this can be some help to you.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2812830
Any of you out there that own an Audi with a 4.2 engine should SELL IT AND RUN AWAY AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN. BTW, I am not kidding.

These are DISPOSABLE engines that are lucky to make it to the 100K mark. If you don't believe me, do a search on Auto Trader for the highest mileage AUDI S4 with a 4.2 in the entire United States. You will not find one with more than ~110K.

The timing chain repair that is INEVITABLY REQUIRED on ALL these engines is $7300.00 at your local Audi dealer. Yeah, $7,300.00. Recommended "Maintenance" by Audi. 26 hours of labor at $150/hr, plus a few thousand dollars of overpriced plastic Audi parts.

In many cases, this is more than the vehicle is worth. I know. Been there, done that.

Error codes, misfires, rattling chains... These vehicles are overpriced, overrated, and unreliable. Audi should seriously be ashamed of putting such a poor product on the market. Get rid of this garbage Euro crap and buy a reliable C6 'Vette. Costs less to repair, and will eat any S4 for lunch.

Those who chose to ignore do so at the peril of their own bank account. You have been warned...
Old 05-05-2014, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default NEVER USE TECHRON IN YOUR AUDI!!

i have owned several all 3.2 i tried techron 1 time it made the engine run horrible. no offense chevron-- but it makes an immediate impact that is very undesirable.... you could eat off my valve bodies and intakes in any of those cars techron makes them sluggish and builds up on the entire system.
the best is dollar store carb cleaner..period...seafoam gums up to...

Old 05-05-2014, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

do not use techron
Old 10-13-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any more news guys?

I just bought a 2004 S4, 4.2... Having misfires on one bank at idle but as soon as I am over 1500 rpm, it goes away, car seems to run well. Check engine light will flash at idle and once rpms are up, that even stops flashing and car seems to run fine. Only at idle... Cold or warm, does not matter... What fixed your cars, or has anyone had this happen to them?

Quick Reply: Serious Misfire, Shaking at idle, not coilpacks 2005 B6 S4