A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Vibration Issues Revisitied, Updated and Confirmed by AOA

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this was a while ago, but my dealer intially refused to even check for the TSB and told me that I was mistaken. I took all the info that Mark in Cincy posted back to the dealer and after checking it out they sheepishly admitted I was correct.

My problem now is that I now live an 8 minute walk from work so the car doesn't get driven that much.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Buckeye96
this was a while ago, but my dealer intially refused to even check for the TSB and told me that I was mistaken. I took all the info that Mark in Cincy posted back to the dealer and after checking it out they sheepishly admitted I was correct.

My problem now is that I now live an 8 minute walk from work so the car doesn't get driven that much.
And now they are denying that it is even for the A4. Only for the A5. The dealer also told me that the car must have hit several massive pot holes because the tire were way off weight 40grams on one tire and there was some dame to some of the plastic shroud underneath.

Seriously? WTF. Call AoA?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I come back and visit often, post seldom since resolving the vibration issue -- like Piombino, I got the same run-around. If you have ANY documentation at all from an early service visit you were having this problem, you HAVE a leg to stand on. As Snagit said (and he offered me same advice), call AoA.

My dealer tried to pull the same bs on me -- "oh look, your wheel is bent, it will cost $179 to straighten." Not so fast, jokers, I told them. I complained about this from the beginning (from my 5K service) and you didn't do anything about it. Now you're telling me my wheel is bent -- my car was in PERFECT condition. Not so much as a scratch or mark on the wheels or car.

They ended up straightening the worst wheel (marked as goodwill gesture on my service order) -- then took an act of Congress to get the controls arms, and only after calling AoA.

This is a KNOWN problem. My personal belief is, their OEM supplier for wheels is crap -- supplying them many wheels that are out-of-spec, out-of-round. And they know this -- they won't do a recall (WAYYYYY too expensive). Better to ask your customers to cough up more coin instead of Audi footing the bill (because obviously, their quality folks don't know how to adequately test parts coming in just-in-time for production). Supplier has probably resisted, telling Audi you never informed us of any issue when parts (wheels) supplied -- now it's your problem, they "passed" your inspection at delivery. That is my opinion only, don't know for a fact but the things we are seeing result with our cars and people being told time and again, "your wheels are bent" or "out of spec" CANNOT be happening as often as it is.

So, push on them to repair your wheels gratis (or better yet, demand new, in-spec wheels -- I'll just bet you get your wheels repaired for free). That, plus the control arms will likely solve 98% of your problem.

Good luck.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

So here we are about 2 months after my last post indicating resolution of the problem and I am happy to report that the problem never re-occurred. All is well as of now, at least for me. I have some other issues with the vehicle, but overall it's the best car I have had in a number of years (including Lexus and Infiniti's).

At the end of the day, however, AOA needs to re-examine how they handle situations like this. The more people hear about issues like this being mishandled by the dealers or AOA itself, the more it will eventually dissuade people from buying Audis (at least educated car people). That is a risk which I believe needs to be addressed and mitigated.

On should NOT have to go through all the steps and aggravation which some of us went through to have the problem fixed. My time is too valuable to have spent the amount of time I spent arguing with them about it. I was about a week away from giving them the car back to make a point--fortunately that was not necessary, and despite earlier reservations about the dealership service department, I can say that the service manager DID step up on my behalf with AOA and was instrumental in getting the final resolution.

So my advice to those of you with the problem is to stick to your guns..
Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Art234
My time is too valuable to have spent the amount of time I spent arguing with them about it.

+1

debacle!