Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Torque Converter question??

Old 08-15-2009, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, if you clear a code it remains in the computer (readiness) until you go through enough cycles without the fault, then the computer clears it. Otherwise everybody would clear the codes then roll up for their inspection. I can't tell you how to correct this problem without a new TC.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually if you clear a code it gone forever until the offending part triggers a new code.

The readiness translates to the engine has been running for xx time/miles with no codes.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Update on my 32k TC replacement. Even though I immediately had the TC fixed when the light came on (though I do not know if the dealer or previous owner just reset this repeatedly...) and about 8k miles after the TC was repaired the tranny failed. No codes on the tranny, just a clunk when putting into reverse. Warranty company paid $6,200 for tranny and I paid $800.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've driven one year so far with the TC failure code. I recently cleared it, drove it like a little old lady for 3 days until all readiness codes were happy and got the inspection done. The next day, with very normal accelleration onto the highway the code came back. I do intend on replacing it, but it's a complicated repair in a number of ways. I can feel it slip and the transmission shifts hard when downshifting at low speeds. God. It just occured to me that maybe that the shifting problem is the transmission and NOT related to the TC problem. Thoughts?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They usually go hand in hand. First TC fails, then the tranny starts slipping. Mine has been slipping for about 6 months now, but only in reverse still. I have 115k miles now. Replaced the TC at 85k.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I thought the slipping was the TC, not the transmission. My understanding of the 17125 code is that the seal leak was preventing the tc from locking and thus it would slip. Therefore, I presume that when I replace the tc, it will no longer slip.

The question in my mind is will the transmission then be back to perfect?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

From what I recall reading here, most of the time it is both that go bad. As the TC goes it puts more and more stress on the transmission specifically the smaller gears (reverse), so that usually fails first. Another opinion on here would be good to get though.

Logically I wouldn't think that the TC wouldn't care one way or another if you are in first or reverse, so I'm not sure why it would only slip when in reverse if it is a TC issue.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Recommended mechanic ?

Anybody has a good recommendation for an allroad torque converter replacement in Colorado (Fort Collins, Boulder) ?
If you also have some prices from your own experience...
Last thing: is it better to replace the whole transmission with a remanufactured one with 5 years warranty? (I have seen a few out there for $2600)
Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Once the TC has been updated are these transmissions still likely to break down? I would hope the updated parts would make the transmission more reliable. I've always stayed away from VAG slush boxes. I'm in the market for an A6 Avant variant, leaning towards Allroad 6spd. Wife wants an automatic.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I cringe at the thought of purchasing a used audi. I'll never own another out of warranty audi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque Converter question??