RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4: Is it any competition for the M3? (X-Post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No kidding!...

Although I did see a few level headed posts mixed in there. The M3 is a very nice car, but it's clearly at a disadvantage...its age and the numbers don't match up well. But, when that's all you've got for now(until next M3), then you have to make the best of it I suppose. The poor BMW ego suffering terribly right now, LOL.

I'm still waiting for reports of real world incidents between the RS4 and M3.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:17 PM

Default The old B.S. Audi-VW comparison...

It's just a knock by the ignorant. Audi dates back to 1930's, at which time the 4 companies merged. VW dates to early 40's.

I think it's obvious that VW's benefit technologically from a trickle down effect(from Audi), and not that Audi's are just glorified VW's. That's just nonsense.

You know, there are even stronger historical ties between Porsche and VW...but you don't hear anybody calling a Porsche a glorified VW.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default IMO ... they both are great cars. If I hadnt got an S4 ...

M3 wouldve been my next choice
Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 PM

Default That's understandible, but why...

the need to try and tear down the RS4? Insecurity maybe?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:18 PM

Default You want real world incidents of the M3 and the RS4? I've got two to share

1) An M3 owner gets in his car as he walks by me in the RS4 (parked). He drives across the street to Starbucks. Parks. Get's out of his car to walk in, then stops, and walks back across the street (busy with traffic) and comes all the way back to me to start gushing over the RS4.

2) An M3 behind me pulls up at a red light and gives me a frenzied thumbs up (I see him in the rear view). He then follows me for roughly 3 miles to hear and see the car, all the while phoning someone.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Re: You want real world incidents of the M3 and the RS4? I've got two to share

Glad to hear it...that there are decent BMW owners out there who are not above admiring an Audi.

Where I'm at it's just snob city. Until I whip their *** on the open road...which is more attributable to the goofs not knowing how to drive their M3 than anything else.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:38 PM

Default Let me clarify the below...

I live(currently) in Silicon Valley, which has one HIGH concentration of BMW's, let me tell you. I can see a half dozen on a trip to the grocery store...and that many more again in the parking lot.

While there a few knowledgeable BMW owners/drivers mixed in with the hords, and perhaps a few more that drive the "M" models, for the most part the typical BMW driver here is clueless and ranges in age from 17(the proverbial HS graduation gift) to 80(the senior citizen crowd). Add to that a large number who are now negotiating the roads of San Francisco bay area instead of Hong Kong, Taiwan and Calcutta.

So, when I say I whip their asses out there, you get the picture. Up against the few real discerning BMW drivers, it's a much better match.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default No disrespect to RS4 here ....

Don't get it wrong ...
I just don't have that much dough ...
S4's and E46 M3's were pretty much in my range at the time.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Why not just get one of each?

No more anguish! Forget that fancy sport-ute or overpriced luxo-truck as a second (or third) vehicle, and just get an old beater pick-up for when you have to tote something bulky (other than your mother-in-law). Just joking (sort of).

M3 owners sure seem to be a defensive lot at the moment. But then so are some RS4 guys. The upcoming M3 is sure to be a fast car, but I'm sure it wont be as "pure" as the Bangle-free E46 M3 or as cool as the RS4.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Blah blah blah.

Drive what you want and don't care about what the others think.

FYI, when a BMW topic comes up on here, some of you guys sound just as stupid and ignorant as what's posted over there.

Quick Reply: RS4: Is it any competition for the M3? (X-Post)