Argh! Any tips of removing a rounded out triple square for the drive shafts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Argh! Any tips of removing a rounded out triple square for the drive shafts?

Everything has gone smoothly until I got to the driver's side half shaft and they all came out fine except the second last one.. which is now the last one. I'm going to get a new triple square bit tomorrow hoping that a nice sharp tool might provide enough bite as my old one is starting to look a little rounded.

I did try vice grips but with no luck. All I have left to remove to get the old tranny out is the diff lock cable, the centre drive shaft, and then the lower tranny to motor bolts... "...but that's another story" (where's G.P. when you need him? ;-)
Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try pounding the new bit in with a hammer

I've found that they get rounded out because the heads are filled with grease and dirt, then the bit spins when it gets a little off axis. If that doesn't work, I suppose that drilling it out is the remaining option.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yea.. I pounded the old one in.. and I sprayed the hole to clean it out beforehand.

Hopefully that trick will work with the new and sharper bit. Man I hope I don't have to drill it out. Cheers.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've used a dremel to flatten the sides, then the vice grips
Old 11-23-2008, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just cut the head off. You can just run a line down the middle of the bolt and it will split off w/

a screwdriver.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have a tool thats like a big reverse drill bit that backs them out nicely.

actually my buddy let me borrow it so i have no idea what its called or where he got it so my response is pretty much useless aye? lol
Old 11-24-2008, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well... I'll look for one of those as well as the new triple square... thanks.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Drilling out isn't so bad..

Once you get the hub off, there'll be lots of meat left to grab onto, and no tension on the bolt. I'll bet that if you go that route, you'd be able to undo the bolt by hand, once the hub off.

When you undo the front end of teh driveshaft, don't let it hang down very far. If you do, I'd bet that the hanger bearing will start making noises once you get it all together again..
Old 11-24-2008, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the Driveshaft tip!

I'm almost there on the drive shaft.. but again.. one last freakin' bolt!

I managed to get the other bolt out using a borrowed Snap-On triple square. I bought another from the NAPA store but you can surely see the difference in quality. Now I need to go back and beg the 8mm from him for this last drive shaft bolt.

I think I am going to sprin g for some Snap-On units ofr myself. They are so much better than the NAPA ones, and CDN Tire doesn't carry them any more either.. or Sears... >:-/
Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Had this same problem on my '86 4KCSQ while replacing a CV joint...

I hammered on a socket that was slightly smaller the head of the bolt, then attached my socket wrench and took it right off.

I was able to pop the bolt out of the socket with a hammer and a drift and repeated the process 3 times during that same job (previous owner stripped the sh*t out of the triple square bolts somehow)

Quick Reply: Argh! Any tips of removing a rounded out triple square for the drive shafts?