Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Need help, A3'ers...Did my Audi dealer screw us?.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "A couple of hundred" seems about right for what they did... consider what they charge for labor./ B

But, seems to be a huge misunderstanding.. As you could have added those cheap BS bulbs yourself and for far less them 200. check your paperwork and head straight for the GMs office. - They said, Xenon, knock off bulbs are not Xenon no matter what the package says..There is no comparison.

Call AOA if you have too, and make them take the car back and get you one with Factory HID..

Sucks.... Xenons were a dealbreaker for me.. Ive had 3 Audis and all have had HID
Old 04-15-2006, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

On our order sheet, it says, "HID"
Old 04-15-2006, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What exactly is stated on the Due Bill that the dealer gave you at the time of sale?

Pretty much everything hinges on the Due Bill if things escalate to a legal level. It also helps if you have witnesses to that part of the deal and specifics were mentioned. Especially housings, ballast, wiring, etc. If they just said "we'lll install some xenons." as someone else in this thread mentions, bulbs can often be termed as such and many people consider them in the same league even though they aren't.

If the Due Bill says something about converting to HID, you've got them fair and square. Pay a lawyer a nominal fee to draw up a letter showing breach of contract. Make an appointment with the General manager and possibly the dealer principle if they are involved in the day to day running of the dealership. Give them the letter and also have one mailed certified to both those people so there is proof they got it. Bypass the sales manager. Also send the letter certified to AoA.

qfrog has listed parts and prices before, and it's not cheap to convert, so I was a little surprised when in previous posts you said it was part of the deal, but didn't want to enquire too much into the details since that is your business unless you wish to make them public.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that's not exactly true. . . many halogen bulbs are filled with xenon gas
Old 04-15-2006, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

True- But really only for "effect" not really the same
Old 04-15-2006, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

On the buyer's order it says, "HID"
Old 04-15-2006, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many +50% bulbs are filled with xenon gas but don't have any blue tint to them
Old 04-15-2006, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time to collect some definitions of what HIDs consist of, from some major automotive lighting

websites. Sylvania, Hella, Bosch, etc. Make sure it's bulbs only in the car now and have an independent tech inspect and sign off on that fact.

HID stands for High Intensity Discharge lighting, and and regular light bulbs are not usually considered part of that definition.

Then go see the lawyer about that letter.

Usually I would give both sides the benefit of the doubt, but this is pretty blatant. Rather than work my way up through the chain of command and give the low-lifes down at the bottom time to get their stories straight, I would head straight for the top.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:56 AM

Default Sounds pretty clear from your post that you wanted the xenon headlight option...

...and not aftermarket xenon-effect bulbs. Hopefully you got it in writing that the dealer was to install OEM HID headlamps on your car. If so, I'd demand that they make good on their promise to install OEM HID headlamps or buy the car back. Obviously, I would file a complaint with AoA and would avoid that dealership like the plague in the future.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:03 PM

Default All Xenons are not alike

They could have given you real Xenon bulbs, but not the tailored reflectors that have to come with it to actually beam the light onto the road without creating glare (and lost light).
Such an installation would probably run a bit more than a hundred bucks.

Then, of course, there are the OEM, projector lens type Xenons, The Real Deal. But those would probably run $2-3K to install.

It bouils down to the question, what did you order, and did they give you what you asked for.

Quick Reply: Need help, A3'ers...Did my Audi dealer screw us?.......