S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Dynamic Steering option for 2013: get or don't get?

Old 05-13-2012, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dynamic Steering option for 2013: Get or don't get?

For those of you who have experienced or tested the dynamic steering on the S4, wondering if this is something worth considering? I understand technically what's at work, but would like to know more about the experience of it, road feel with it vs. without, etc.,...

Thanks!

Last edited by Smith837; 05-13-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have full ADS and love the adjustable suspension but I'm not a fan of the dynamic steering. I saw the 2013's in the US have the ADS components available separately which to me is ideal. If I have the option on my next car I'll keep the suspension but drop the dynamic steering, or if they're still packaged together in Canada I'll likely completely drop ADS all together. It's hard to describe the steering but something about it just doesn't feel natural. I drove an S4 without it and greatly preferred it.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sworksone
I have full ADS and love the adjustable suspension but I'm not a fan of the dynamic steering. I saw the 2013's in the US have the ADS components available separately which to me is ideal. If I have the option on my next car I'll keep the suspension but drop the dynamic steering, or if they're still packaged together in Canada I'll likely completely drop ADS all together. It's hard to describe the steering but something about it just doesn't feel natural. I drove an S4 without it and greatly preferred it.
Thanks sworksone. This is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I was looking for. I've ordered a 2013 with the sports diff and adaptable suspension but NOT the dynamic steering, and just wanted to confirm that it's the right move...certainly seems so.

Separately, I'm curious how you like your black/magma combo. I currently have all black Nappa, with a black/lunar silver on order. Realize it's very subjective, but appreciate your thoughts...
Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Smith837
Thanks sworksone. This is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I was looking for. I've ordered a 2013 with the sports diff and adaptable suspension but NOT the dynamic steering, and just wanted to confirm that it's the right move...certainly seems so.

Separately, I'm curious how you like your black/magma combo. I currently have all black Nappa, with a black/lunar silver on order. Realize it's very subjective, but appreciate your thoughts...
This is how I ordered my 2013...with the sports diff and active suspension. I skipped on the dynamic steering. I test drove a 2012 that had it and it felt strange/unnatural to me. I would take my comment with a gain of salt because a single test drive isn't by any means conclusive enough to form a strong opinion, but I personally didn't see a need for it so I didn't order it.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by handruin
This is how I ordered my 2013...with the sports diff and active suspension. I skipped on the dynamic steering. I test drove a 2012 that had it and it felt strange/unnatural to me. I would take my comment with a gain of salt because a single test drive isn't by any means conclusive enough to form a strong opinion, but I personally didn't see a need for it so I didn't order it.
Not to mention you have to get a Prestige with the Driver Assist Package in order to get dynamic steering. You can get the Sport Diff and Adaptive Damping Suspension on a Premium Plus for what should be a sizable cost savings.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Smith837

I haven't seen the black/silver in person but I've received a lot of positive comments on the black/magma. As you said its very subjective but IMHO it looks amazing with ibis in particular.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Personally I enjoy the dynamic steering but I like to control it instead of it automatically adjusting. Auto mode makes the car feel unpredictable to me. I drive my car typically in Individual mode with the steering set to dynamic because I enjoy feeling the road and I prefer the steering ratio. If I'm not in Individual I'm in full dynamic mode which always makes me smile =)

However for long journeys with the family in traffic comfort mode is preferred for its relaxed feel. On the rare occasion that my wife drives the car she doesn't complain that the car feels like power steering is disabled LOL.