S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

2005.5 Audi S4 Tire Rub.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005.5 Audi S4 Tire Rub.

Hello Guys and Gals,

I have been a member for sometime, but this is my first post.

I have a completely stock 2005.5 (B7) Audi S4 Quattro. The problem that I am having is tire rub on both the front tires. The front end almost seems to move back and forth, then forcing the tires to rub on the control arms. I have big gouges taken out of the inside of both of the front tires.

I have a mechanic looking at it now, but he tells me that all the bushings in the control arms look good and are getting no significant play. The mechanic has suggested to replace one tie rod and do an alignment.

Does anyone out there have any other ideas, this seems like having a front end with 2-3 inches of movement can be a serious problem.

I also had Audi do a standard safety inspection after they did some work no more than a month ago and they did not say anything about frame damage, etc. Also, the car has never been in an accident to my knowledge.

I'd love to hear from you all. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am, by no means, an expert. But you didn't list what size tires and wheels are on the car.. I don't assume anything. Are they stock for that car..? List the sizes. I own a 2005.5 S4 and have both the stock wheels and aftermarket wheels. Both are 18" and have had no problem like you are describing. Also, how many miles are on the vehicle..?

Originally Posted by nicholaskbruno@gmail.com
Hello Guys and Gals,

I have been a member for sometime, but this is my first post.

I have a completely stock 2005.5 (B7) Audi S4 Quattro. The problem that I am having is tire rub on both the front tires. The front end almost seems to move back and forth, then forcing the tires to rub on the control arms. I have big gouges taken out of the inside of both of the front tires.

I have a mechanic looking at it now, but he tells me that all the bushings in the control arms look good and are getting no significant play. The mechanic has suggested to replace one tie rod and do an alignment.

Does anyone out there have any other ideas, this seems like having a front end with 2-3 inches of movement can be a serious problem.

I also had Audi do a standard safety inspection after they did some work no more than a month ago and they did not say anything about frame damage, etc. Also, the car has never been in an accident to my knowledge.

I'd love to hear from you all. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Tire Size

The car is completely stock, it has never been lowered and the rims are the stock S4 rims, link below. As for the tires, again they are the stock size but i have since found out that a 235 can range from 8.0 to 8.9 inches wide in Pirelli alone (according to Tire Rack). I would like to hear any suggestions as i continue to have the tire rub on the steering knuckle.

Tires: Dunlop Signature 235-40-18 XL

Rims: http://www.google.com/imgres?start=2...6&tx=129&ty=85

Originally Posted by Custom53
I am, by no means, an expert. But you didn't list what size tires and wheels are on the car.. I don't assume anything. Are they stock for that car..? List the sizes. I own a 2005.5 S4 and have both the stock wheels and aftermarket wheels. Both are 18" and have had no problem like you are describing. Also, how many miles are on the vehicle..?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did not mention but when i originally posted i though that the front end almost "moved back and forth" which is why there were marks on both tires but only one tire would touch at a time.

This was not true, i had to put the spare tire on the car (also a 235) but if fit, which led me to believe there was movement in the front end. It seems that an 8" tire will fix the situation but Tire Rack said a normal sized 235 (around 8.5 inches) should fit with no problems.

Also, Tire Rack says that any 8" tire that they carry is not an "XL" load rating therefore will not be a strong enough tire for the heavy S4.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would take it to a reputable alignment shop or mechanic and have them check it out...
Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pictures would help.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have the tires checked to see if the belts broke on the them.. Happened to me on an '01 S4.. Both front tires.. You are describing exactly the same thing.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Pictures and Update

I took the car to another mechanic, he believes that the the steering knuckle may be bent, and did not indicate any problems with the tire walls (i did ask, but i am not 100% sure he checked).

I have attached 3 photos of the same steering knuckle and tire rub. The picture is taken from the front passenger wheel well; it is the same on both sides...the tire is actually making contact with the steering knuckle.

Again, thank you for your help. If it is the steering knuckle I would love to hear any recommendations for where i can buy two new ones online at a decent price.
Attached Images    
Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholaskbruno@gmail.com
I took the car to another mechanic, he believes that the the steering knuckle may be bent, and did not indicate any problems with the tire walls (i did ask, but i am not 100% sure he checked).

I have attached 3 photos of the same steering knuckle and tire rub. The picture is taken from the front passenger wheel well; it is the same on both sides...the tire is actually making contact with the steering knuckle.

Again, thank you for your help. If it is the steering knuckle I would love to hear any recommendations for where i can buy two new ones online at a decent price.
looks like your alignment is way out of line. Negative camber.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The front end was aligned no more than a month ago. The tire rub was happening before and after the alignment. I do not fully trust the mechanic but i am pretty sire they brought my car to another shop to have it aligned. Could it be a bent steering knuckle on both sides?