Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

New A3

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New A3

Just drove new A3 1.8 FrontTrack & 2.0 Quattro. Awesome, especially 2.0. Definitely a leap forward, more technology in new A3 than in A8. Big steps forward for the brand!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So, they are out. What did your dealer tell you about availability?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
So, they are out. What did your dealer tell you about availability?
Many dealers got their demos last weekend. I think sales start in a week or two.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Many dealers got their demos last weekend. I think sales start in a week or two.
I'm not usually on the A3 forum, but my aunt is considering the new A3. My local dealership told us a few pre-ordered ones are trickling in, but much more of them will start hitting their dealership around April 1st.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just get my invitation to local Audi for A3 presentation

Thank you for confirming your attendance to the all new 2015 Audi A3 launch event. The car is said to be one of Audi's finest ever. So be sure to arrive early and reserve a time for your test drive.

For driving directions, our address is below. Or, we can be easily found on Ventura Boulevard between De Soto Avenue and Canoga Avenue in Woodland Hills.

We look forward to seeing you on Thursday, April 3rd at 6:30 PM!

WHAT
A3 Launch Party

WHERE
Audi Auto Gallery
21301 Ventura Blvd. Woodland Hills, CA 91364

WHEN
April 3, 2014 6:30pm - 9.30pm
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TIME89
I just get my invitation to local Audi for A3 presentation
I just registered for Auto Gallery. But now seeing Keyes is having the same party the same time. Not sure which to choose. Keyes is a bit closer to me and I'm not thrilled with how Auto Gallery bombarded me with sales pitches once I registered for the party.
So it seems L.A. is having their A3 welcoming next week, with sales to start right after. Those who want to pay full price with sign papers now.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Got my email invitation this morning via email
Old 03-26-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SFV A4
I just registered for Auto Gallery. But now seeing Keyes is having the same party the same time. Not sure which to choose. Keyes is a bit closer to me and I'm not thrilled with how Auto Gallery bombarded me with sales pitches once I registered for the party.
So it seems L.A. is having their A3 welcoming next week, with sales to start right after. Those who want to pay full price with sign papers now.
I work almost walking distance from Gallery. and you right - I got more then few e-mails from Lisa.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I just get back from A3 lunch presentation at Auto Gallery and would like to share my experience.
Dealer provide valet parking - but I park outside and walk to the event. During registration they ask for cell phone number and inform me that I can eat - but not drink and they will text me. Food was good and in about 10 min I get page and went to test drive. There were 2 option 1.8T engine and 2.0T engine - i choose first 2.0T. My sales guy pool out car from dealership and turn to the first small street where I exchange seat with him.
Car feel the same size inside as my E90 but some how from outside it's look bigger.
Exterior look very nice.
Interior - it's a different story. Driver display looks amazing and information screen (smaller than on A6) look good too. But center console with 2 AC outlet look cheep for $30K+ car. None of the car has navigation working - if you select navy screen - you get error message - navigation is not setup on this car. Beck room has plenty space for 2 adults. Not sure if 3 can feet there. Trunk is OK.
Drive - there a significant difference between this two engine. Where 2.0T is quick and excited - 1.8T has slow response and way too much noisy. Acceleration in 1.8T is worse than my 145 HP Accord. We have BMW 320i in our garage and I have to admit that 320i with 185HP engine run so much better - you can even compare this two. I will much 320i engine to 2.0T - it feel more close.
Breaks good in both cars - very sensitive.
Also seat in 1.8T feel harder then in 2.0T - or it maybe my fat *** - but I told this to sales person and he sad that seat are the same. My *** feel differently.

If I has to made decisions to get A3 - the one with 2.0T engine will be my choice. $2500 price difference make big difference how car drive.

P.S. 2009 Presentation of Q5 in Baldwin Park, CA was the best car presentation event I ever attend. This evening event was OK -> B+

And now pics:

this is my sales guy - during the test he made some sales pitch and AUDI propaganda - but in good way. Very nice guy with very good knowledge of AUDI product. Get his card in saved on my address list.

yep - you can get shot of vodka.

or glass of vine

Last edited by TIME89; 04-05-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Very nice review TIME89. Here's mine from the same venue...

First, I was impressed with the extent Auto Gallery (or Audi) went through. The entire dealership and parking area was transformed. I also noticed the local city councilman was there, along with some other entertainers. Valet parking, a raffle, and bar were a nice touch. Anyway, it was quite crowded so my wait to drive took about 40 minutes. No problem, with good food to be had.

My test car had the 1.8T motor (FWD). I did not find it to be underpowered at all. In fact, it felt downright peppy, with more than enough power for everyday driving. It did make some buzzy four cylinder noises, but nothing offensive or excessive. From a stop, I detected a medium amount of lag or hesitation, which just seems to be a longtime Audi/VW trait. Once the turbo got going, it moved quickly. I did feel the steering wheel tug a bit, something I don't miss at all with my former FWD A4. And to my surprise, it was easy to chirp the front tires with moderate throttle from a stop. I guess I just don't remember all the follies of having a front-wheel drive car.

The ride itself was Germanic solid, but stiff- worse than my sport package IS250. S-Tronic shift quality was mixed. Shifts were pretty much instant, but not as smooth as with my IS or with other Toyota/Honda products. But at least it defaults back to first gear at a stop. Speaking of shifts, the gear lever was unusually stiff to flick up and down. I don't recall my older A4 being that way nor does my IS protest with such friction. For those like myself who like to do the shifting, this would become tiresome. Overall, I felt it to be a sporty experience on the road, with adequate power, a stiff ride, and sharp handling. The sporting intentions are readily apparent.

Inside, it's easy getting comfy. Seat comfort was top-notch, with nicely shaped bolsters and firm support. The steering wheel had just the right amount of rake, unlike many competitors. Sightlines were good to the side, but the rear view is compromised due to the high trunk. Also, the rearview mirror is shaped like an oval, which seems odd (I guess you get used to that). Trim pieces inside appeared to be of high quality and the doors shut with a very secure and solid thunk.

Unfortunately, I have not warmed up to the retro and stark center stack design. The center air vents take up precious real estate, and the pop-up info/nav screen would be better positioned in that spot. Not just for looks, but the screen blocks the horizon over the dash and about 5-10% of the view through the windshield. This may be because I like my seat low, but Audi should take into account some people are short or like their seating position lower. I call this design a safety hazard and major annoyance (also noticed it in the Lexus CT). One other nitpick- my left foot could not find a comfortable place to rest. The dead pedal is positioned too far right and is not reset deep enough. This left my foot hanging on the edge of the resting area.

What the interior serves in overall comfort, it lacks in luxury. For $39k, there needs to be some wood trim and more contrast with colors. The center console leading to the cupholder area lacks eye candy. I can foresee people and the media beating up the interior as not high-end enough. (Interestingly, the salesguy spent a lot of time bashing the CLA's dash.) Another negative with the oversized air vents taking up all the central space is there are few lights to be seen in spots we are used to seeing lights. While this is purely psychological, it looks strange seeing nothing lit up where there has been lights for decades on dashboards. At night, that area looks like a dead spot, or like a car lacking features.

Exterior design would best be described as tidy, modern, conservative, classy, and progressive- typical Audi traits. This would be the best part of the new A3 in my opinion. Some people do not want to make a huge visual statement when driving a luxury automobile, and I think Audi has the perfect recipe for fulfilling that desire. Where it does fall short with aesthetics is the silly wheel gap, that hopefully the sport package option will rectify. As of now, the Audi website does not list a lowered suspension with the sport package, and no one there was able to answer if it would.

A car with a decent sized trunk is important to me, as I like to take my bike with me at times. After folding both seats down, the trunk's length really swells to a nice size. However, the cut-out to lift things in is low and I think it would be very tight squeezing a bike through the opening w/o having to take it apart. Bummer. At least for rear passengers, there was good legroom.

The new A3 was very likable, but I was not in love with it as I hoped I would be. I found the base motor and FWD to be competent, but the ride a bit stiff and the torquesteer/tire chirp a turn-off. If there was any big disappointment or surprise, it would be the lower fuel mileage numbers with the smaller engine and FWD. Usually, it's the more powerful motor and AWD that has the lower numbers, but it's opposite here. For that alone, I'd go with the 2.0T. I didn't get a chance to drive that model. But from what everyone else has written, it sounds like a rocket. The AWD would also cure the hyper active front wheels.

Overall, I predict this car will sell very well for Audi, and bring in a new layer of customers who will naturally graduate to higher models. Mission accomplished.
Attached Images