A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parked Next To A D4 Tonight - It's GRANT.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Not sure and never heard of "Grant" used as slang for something good either???? You sure you don't mean "grand", in which case that's a very old fashioned (Victorian) use of the word.

Anyway, D4 is nice but is not what you would call good looking. The D3 is a very nice design and still looks fresh. Compare it to same era 7 series and S class. D4 will date quick with all it's exterior design trinkets and odd angles everywhere.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Please, to me D4 is very Grant and D3 is so Stewart

Hello all,
I'm staying up late, reading about how to paint the bathtub, what paint to use on the cast iron, and my "GRANT" still seems to be something to talk about.
I think everyone has his/her own way of saying thing. When I see something nice, reliable, dependable, classy, sophisticated, humble... I think of Cary Grant, and I say you're Grant and if you don't know Grant, I'm sorry.

So please, no slang, nothing, just plain GRANT. I like Stewart too, but D4 is more like Grant and D3 is actually Stewart, and if you don't know Stewart, I can say "you're a Stooge", but that's not appropriate because everyone has his/her own movie stars and the way I used the word is NOT conventional, it's a wonderful life.

Cheers,

Louis
PS: Now what paint should I use for painting my cast iron bathtub, I just finished the primer tonight, I bought the marine oil based glossy GRAY color (I and my wife both like the color), but it's not recommended, epoxy latex, epoxy acrylic, they don't sell at Lowes or home depot, I want to get it done tomorrow. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 12-08-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
PS: Now what paint should I use for painting my cast iron bathtub, I just finished the primer tonight, I bought the marine oil based glossy GRAY color (I and my wife both like the color), but it's not recommended, epoxy latex, epoxy acrylic, they don't sell at Lowes or home depot, I want to get it done tomorrow. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I was just at Lowes buying paint for a project yesterday.

I think I would use a Rust-Oleum appliance epoxy or their tub and tile kit.
The color choices are better in the appliance epoxy but there wasn't a lot of selection at the local store.

Amazon has 7860519 available on Prime, but you'd have to wait.
Try the smaller stores too - like Ace and if you have any mom & pop hardware stores left.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Jake, but they only sell white and we want gray color. Do you think it's OK to use custom paint from Lowes, I saw those guys mixing paint for people.
Actually Lowes bought whole bunch of smaller stores in the area and I think the just left one. I'll try that also.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 12-08-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Ok, so it's a made up meaning. In that case I would say that the D4 is really more Smith.....after Will Smith. A bit pimp but still has some class.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Will Smith it is

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Ok, so it's a made up meaning. In that case I would say that the D4 is really more Smith.....after Will Smith. A bit pimp but still has some class.
Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Perfect for fun and drama. It will also get better and better with age.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Thanks Jake, but they only sell white and we want gray color. Do you think it's OK to use custom paint from Lowes, I saw those guys mixing paint for people.
Actually Lowes bought whole bunch of smaller stores in the area and I think the just left one. I'll try that also.

Cheers,

Louis
For the outside I don't think it matters that much.
Inside I'd want to use something fairly heavy duty, slightly flexible, and non-porous if possible.
Flexible because slight deformation due to weight of person standing and contraction/expansion of metal with temperature change.

You could always top coat it with a clear finish and/or NeverWet on the inside.
Another thought is the Ceramic Engine paint - which I was looking for but they didn't have.

Crazy, but might just work - Plasti Dip ??
Ultra crazy - powder coat it ??

Not sure what the "safety" factor of any of these paints is but it's not like you will be in there for 8 hours a day

ps - It's hard to find a good gray anymore. If I had my druthers everything would be battleship gray.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jakematic
ps - It's hard to find a good gray anymore. If I had my druthers everything would be battleship gray.
The can I have right now is Battleship gray gloss marine top deck paint. Anyhow, just got back from the Ace, found the kit you mentioned, we both decided to get the white since gray is non-existent. We need to finish the bathroom this year sometimes. We started tearing it down a few months ago.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 12-08-2013, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FFS, what is this, extreme house make over?

New tangent... 'druthers' ? Using Louis's urban dictionary, I can only assume that means 'I'd rather like to have my own way' or 'why am I spending so much time with the peasants on the D3 threads?'

Besides, I would have expected an 'Oolong grey' bath, with four rings of course.... ... and crystal taps....

Meanwhile, back at Audi World...

K9

Quick Reply: Parked Next To A D4 Tonight - It's GRANT.