Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Getting started with the new A6!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I must admit that I didn't try online destinations recently (since I switched back to t-mobilbe) but I don't think MyAudi online destinations are dependent on the mobile provider. Destinations are stored on the Audi servers and the MMI will get them from there using any data connection available. It's not like the destinations are actually stored on the MMI when you save them on your computer. As far as I know, the MMI 3G+ doesn't allow any incoming traffic, only outgoing.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I must admit that I didn't try online destinations recently (since I switched back to t-mobilbe) but I don't think MyAudi online destinations are dependent on the mobile provider. Destinations are stored on the Audi servers and the MMI will get them from there using any data connection available. It's not like the destinations are actually stored on the MMI when you save them on your computer. As far as I know, the MMI 3G+ doesn't allow any incoming traffic, only outgoing.
You're correct, myAudi and the Send to Car feature is not dependent on a provider (although the T-Mobile network is required to get 3G speeds). It is mostly incoming only; the outgoing is only used to ping the myAudi servers to send the data. Obviously, the 3G MMI Nav Plus is capable of 2-way data on other Audi Connect services, i.e. sending search data, etc. What I was pointing out is if the OP is using the prev owner's AC subscription, it's not clear to me is if raising the myAudi account ownership issue might result in someone questioning the new owner's use of the AC subscription. His challenge is getting the current myAudi account deleted and registering a new account under his own email address and pw as there can only be one VIN per account and you can't delete the account online without the prev owner's log in info.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcamber
So I've been shopping for an Audi dealer so I can take it to get the MMI updated and the service reminder reset but they seem to want to squeeze every penny they can from me. I like your idea however of waiting until the next service and have them do all of that then. Hopefully they agree to do the MMI update as part of the service required.
My advice - review this forum for posts about MMI updates, and some of the issues that trigger them. Then when you go in for service, make sure you let them know you "have" that issue
Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You're correct, myAudi and the Send to Car feature is not dependent on a provider (although the T-Mobile network is required to get 3G speeds). It is mostly incoming only; the outgoing is only used to ping the myAudi servers to send the data. Obviously, the 3G MMI Nav Plus is capable of 2-way data on other Audi Connect services, i.e. sending search data, etc. What I was pointing out is if the OP is using the prev owner's AC subscription, it's not clear to me is if raising the myAudi account ownership issue might result in someone questioning the new owner's use of the AC subscription. His challenge is getting the current myAudi account deleted and registering a new account under his own email address and pw as there can only be one VIN per account and you can't delete the account online without the prev owner's log in info.
yeah I already tried that and didn't get far. The representative asked me for the registered email and when I said I didn't know it (because I had just bought the car pre-owned) he asked me for the VIN so he could deactivate the service. I then faked a bad connection "hello? hello?"... classic

The thing works for now and as per your suggestion I'm just going to let it run its course until I no longer have it. Then I'll go the pay as you go route. I do use the google search functionality quite a bit and think it's worth it.

I'll take a picture of the traffic overlays I see on the map and have you take a look. I was the prior owner of the Sirius service and can tell you I did not have a traffic option so I'd be surprised if the traffic overlays are in fact coming from Sirius (but I'll let you take a look at the map and get your opinion )
Old 12-19-2013, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
My advice - review this forum for posts about MMI updates, and some of the issues that trigger them. Then when you go in for service, make sure you let them know you "have" that issue
great advice! thanks. I read that the newest version actually improves the bluetooth significantly. I already experienced what is like to only hear audio come from what I think is the front center speaker? barely able to hear the person on the other side. Not sure if this would fly if I brought it up to their attention but I'll try.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I'll take a picture of the traffic overlays I see on the map and have you take a look. I was the prior owner of the Sirius service and can tell you I did not have a traffic option so I'd be surprised if the traffic overlays are in fact coming from Sirius (but I'll let you take a look at the map and get your opinion )
In the U.S., Sirius is the only way you can get Traffic on the MMI map.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
In the U.S., Sirius is the only way you can get Traffic on the MMI map.
Here's a picture of what I see in my Navi. Are the overlays you see the ones you say come from Sirius?

thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

There is no traffic shown in this picture, otherwise there should be a white TMC logo in the lower left corner. The colored overlays are form the map data highlighting highways, major and minor roads.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

ah! and I just saw a picture with the TMC so I know what you're talking about. I'll call sirius and give it a go... thanks!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a picture of what I see in my Navi. Are the overlays you see the ones you say come from Sirius?

thanks!
Ah. Another Fort Worth person. Welcome!

Quick Reply: Getting started with the new A6!