Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 SQ5 Power Steering Software Update

Old 11-09-2013, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 SQ5 Power Steering Software Update

I just got my SQ5 back from the dealer after the 5K service. In addition to the standard service they performed a 48K8 powering steering update that took all of the "feel" out of the dynamic-sport mode. I thought it was in my head but confirmed with the dealer that the update does remove the resistance from the sport mode due to a lock up problem. It feels like I'm driving in comfort mode 100% of the time and that's not my speed. I'm told there is no reversing the update process. Has anybody had this experience and figured a way around it? My wife's 2013 S4 with 17K miles still has the dynamic feel and she won't swap with me, so I need a fix.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:44 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by J Reacher
I just got my SQ5 back from the dealer after the 5K service. In addition to the standard service they performed a 48K8 powering steering update that took all of the "feel" out of the dynamic-sport mode. I thought it was in my head but confirmed with the dealer that the update does remove the resistance from the sport mode due to a lock up problem. It feels like I'm driving in comfort mode 100% of the time and that's not my speed. I'm told there is no reversing the update process. Has anybody had this experience and figured a way around it? My wife's 2013 S4 with 17K miles still has the dynamic feel and she won't swap with me, so I need a fix.
Interesting. You are the second post I've seen regarding this same thing. I have noticed the SQ5 steering is less stiff in all modes than my S4 but I attributed it to electromechanical vs. hydraulic. Makes me wonder if some already have the software update done prior to sale. Do you have any access to a VCDS to get the steering module software rev?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Existing thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2856290
Old 11-09-2013, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by J Reacher
I just took mine in for a hitch install and they mentioned this upgrade was suggested by Audi for my SQ5 as well. I have read others that had your experience as well.... so I was scared. The Audi tech said that of the 100s of installs they have done (not necessarily on SQ5s obviously) that he has only had 3 complaints.

I am debating whether to get the upgrade or not; like you I don't know if it can be rolled back. To date I have not had any steering issues at all and like how it drives. I think I am going to pass.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The complaints with many who have electric steering have been around since the C7s arrived in 2011. When the outside temperature is colder, reports have stated issues with a notchiness in the steering, sudden pulling and off center wandering. These reports are what precipitated the electric steering update which changes the mapping algorithms.
It is not reversible nor can it be changed in Vag-Com. Those who are not experiencing issues can tell the dealer not to apply the update but if you live in colder climes, you may experience some the aforementioned problems as the temp drops.
My issue was the off center wandering which was mostly corrected with the update.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would love to hear from more SQ5 TFSI owners
Old 11-10-2013, 05:29 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I have not encountered any notchiness in my steering but southern Arizona hasn't had any cold spells yet. Unless I do experience the issue, based on what I'm hearing here, I will not allow the s/w update (if it ain't broke, don't ....).

Does anyone know if the steering mapping is the same for all the Q5 models?

Steve
Old 11-10-2013, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scrmorling

Does anyone know if the steering mapping is the same for all the Q5 models?

Steve
Good question Steve. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I wish I had joined this forum before the service was performed. I live in a moderate climate and would have been willing to take my chances with not doing the steering update. I will definitely pay more attention at the next service.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Those who are not experiencing issues can tell the dealer not to apply the update but if you live in colder climes, you may experience some the aforementioned problems as the temp drops.
For the record, I live where it gets down to -35°C (-31°F) and colder, and I had no issues last winter. I'm not impressed with this software update. At the moment, my dealer is still looking into whether there's anything they can do for me about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 SQ5 Power Steering Software Update