Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

VCDS Software on Mac

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VCDS Software on Mac

Anybody out there get the VAG software to work using Parallels on a Mac? I have a Macbook Air which I don't really have room to run Bootcamp on the SSD, but do have parallels installed (Lion and latest parallels version).. I called Ross-Tech but they just say it's possible but not supported.. curious if anyone has any feedback running it on Macs..
Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

in my old MBP I have an extra Windows partition just for VCDS. Sometimes when I need to perform quick scan, I use VCDS via Parallels to avoid rebooting. And that works great. One thing I should mention - Parallels are using bootcamp partition as OS source. But I am 98% sure, this would work with "virtual" windows install.

R.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rimas.
Hi,

in my old MBP I have an extra Windows partition just for VCDS. Sometimes when I need to perform quick scan, I use VCDS via Parallels to avoid rebooting. And that works great. One thing I should mention - Parallels are using bootcamp partition as OS source. But I am 98% sure, this would work with "virtual" windows install.

R.
Thanks for the info.. They said if there were problems it would be the USB connection in virtual mode.. can return it if it doesn't work but they charge 20% restock..
Old 05-07-2012, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fr8tdog
Anybody out there get the VAG software to work using Parallels on a Mac? I have a Macbook Air which I don't really have room to run Bootcamp on the SSD, but do have parallels installed (Lion and latest parallels version).. I called Ross-Tech but they just say it's possible but not supported.. curious if anyone has any feedback running it on Macs..
Fusion is the way to go, here is my 4 year old uni-body 15" mac book pro running VM Fusion 4 running inside of OSX lion with a windows 7 boot camp partition ,don't quote me on that version, i have to check when i get home.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HjlXzM5EJ2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-07-2012, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parallels, Fusion or Bootcamp will all work.

Just make sure that you have USB routed to the Windows session in question. With Parallels and Fusion, usually it's either in a settings for USB or preferences where you can change how the USB ports behave and which OS has ownership.

-ThinkMac-
Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ithinkmac
Parallels, Fusion or Bootcamp will all work.

Just make sure that you have USB routed to the Windows session in question. With Parallels and Fusion, usually it's either in a settings for USB or preferences where you can change how the USB ports behave and which OS has ownership.

-ThinkMac-
Yeah that's what i figured.. each new release of parallels gets better and i have yet to find something that wouldn't run. I figured they were just CYA..