A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Console Buttons Peeling

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Console Buttons Peeling

A lot of my console buttons have a black skin that is peeling away. It is mostly happening on the middle console, but also on steering wheel buttons and the headlight switch.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem that doesn't involve tracking down replacement parts, which will have to be replaced again?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assuming you have a 2002-2004, which has the rubberized buttons. There is no "fix" other than replacement. Common things are the climate control +/- buttons and the headlight switch. Poor design by Audi, they should have stuck with the glossy plastic bits.

Oh, and the +/- buttons are NOT available separately. You'd have to buy a whole headunit.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Boston Driver
I am assuming you have a 2002-2004, which has the rubberized buttons. There is no "fix" other than replacement. Common things are the climate control +/- buttons and the headlight switch. Poor design by Audi, they should have stuck with the glossy plastic bits.

Oh, and the +/- buttons are NOT available separately. You'd have to buy a whole headunit.
Do you recommend any websites to order these parts? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Google is your friend. Find the factory part number(s) and search. A BUNCH of websites will pop up that have audi parts.

Unless you're truly **** replacing these parts just because the rubberized surface has peeled or worn is an exercise in futility as well. One fingernail scratch will start the process all over.

I had a badly scratched headlight switch so I figured WTH....within a week My Dear Wife had scratched it again.
There simply is no solution to this that will work (well, maybe if you drove with rubber gloves all the time) and that is why Audi quit it.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Also consider eBay, although used parts will often have the same damage. I've been looking every now and then for a replacment for mine because of two issues, including some peeling on two of the buttons (very minor, but it pisses me off), and that the unit keeps reverting back to celcius, despite everything being coded for the US (although it only takes two buttons to switch it back).

When you posted this question, I found one on eBay from an allroad that was in pristine condition for $89 and free shipping. I bought it, sorry. Keep looking, and make sure the auction says that the photo is of the actual item being sold.

Another option is to look at online places like ECS Tuning. They have the 2002+ climate control in their store for $250, but that is for the model without the heated seats. You could always buy that just to use the buttons, but that is a big price to pay for simple buttons.

There was also a writeup a while back in the AW B6 A4 forum on a repair using paint that looked (at least in the photos) like it matched the factory finish. No idea the long-term wear on that repair job.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Hmmm...
http://www.alsacorp.com/products/sof...tm#productinfo

Kind of a lot of material and expensive too...
Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Here is the writeup I found on the climate control repair, on AZ:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...eeling-buttons

Again, I have not tried this myself, but looked pretty good.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Graphics for Audi Buttons

Not sure if this has already been posted, but I found an online store that sells the graphics to many of the Audi interior buttons. Check out this link:

http://www.classicdyeproducts.com/pr...di&search=+Go+

It would be good if we could keep this store in business. Hope you all find this link it is not already widely known. I'm a little late to the party, I know. Good luck.