Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

FREE SQ5 Invisible Hitch (or S-line Q5) for someone who loves in the Atlanta Area!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impact on radar sensor features from Invisihitch install

Great news. I'm concerned however that the Side Assist and Parking Assist functions will be impacted by this. Any feedback on that??
Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rudymon
Great news. I'm concerned however that the Side Assist and Parking Assist functions will be impacted by this. Any feedback on that??
From what Daryl told me last Friday, based on his research, it will NOT be impacted. My SQ5 also has side assist and I was also interested how it would be impacted. So we should be good to go.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:14 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

This is something interesting I hadn't thought of (as people mentioned it earlier) until now. I doubt the hitch truly has any impact, but is it the actual towing of a trailer that does? When I hooked the trailer up to my wife's Q7 this weekend, as soon as I got back in the dash said "side assist disabled'. I wonder if plugging in the wiring harness is what activates the 'disabling'? If Daryl's done his research, then I trust it won't be an issue....not sure I'd be able to take the side assist detecting the trailer as an obstruction every time we tow (flashing, flashing, flashing). My guess is that it gets disables so that the side assist doesn't detect the trailer at every turn/corner? Just a thought.

-tgt

Originally Posted by BayAreaQ7
From what Daryl told me last Friday, based on his research, it will NOT be impacted. My SQ5 also has side assist and I was also interested how it would be impacted. So we should be good to go.

Last edited by tgt; 04-24-2014 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tgt
This is something interesting I hadn't thought of (as people mentioned it earlier) until now. I doubt the hitch truly has any impact, but is it the actual towing of a trailer that does? When I hooked the trailer up to my wife's Q7 this weekend, as soon as I got back in the dash said "side assist disabled'. I wonder if plugging in the wiring harness is what activates the 'disabling'? If Daryl's done his research, then I trust it won't be an issue....not sure I'd be able to take the side assist detecting the trailer as an obstruction every time we tow (flashing, flashing, flashing). My guess is that it gets disables so that the side assist doesn't detect the trailer at every turn/corner? Just a thought.

-tgt
Your question is valid and I'm fairly certain that the module they're installing is independent of Side Assist, meaning it won't disable it nor change the behavior of detection distances, etc. So if the trailer does in fact interfere with Side Assist, it's easily remedied by manually switching it off.

Also since their electronics are only meant to operate the trailer brake light, there is no integration with the car's ECU to modify the behavior of the brakes (anti-sway), rear camera, etc. It will be interesting to see which of the published VAG codes for the trailer update will work without the trailer ECU. I plan to play around with this when I get some time.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

It will be interesting to see what you find (I may dabble with that as well). Don't be shy with the pics after your fitment today Rob!

Thanks,
tgt

Originally Posted by RobC
Your question is valid and I'm fairly certain that the module they're installing is independent of Side Assist, meaning it won't disable it nor change the behavior of detection distances, etc. So if the trailer does in fact interfere with Side Assist, it's easily remedied by manually switching it off.

Also since their electronics are only meant to operate the trailer brake light, there is no integration with the car's ECU to modify the behavior of the brakes (anti-sway), rear camera, etc. It will be interesting to see which of the published VAG codes for the trailer update will work without the trailer ECU. I plan to play around with this when I get some time.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default And the invisihitch is done!

My initial impressions are that this is a very stout design. They rate the towing capacity at 5000 lbs which mimics the capacity of the Euro hitch since their design uses all 3 mounting bolt positions instead of the 2 that the US version uses. Additionally you don't get the front-to-back play of a traditional receiver with pin.

The 2" receiver and ball pieces appear to be very heavy duty and up to the task.

And finally it all fits neatly behind the fascia so it's totally invisible when not installed.

Standard 2" square receiver and ball. This one puts the top of the ball at 19" above the ground. They have different heights in 2" increments:
Name:  MPH6hcRl.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  7W46gD4l.jpg
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  HhLpxzWl.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  49.3 KB

Bracket is standard, so they used some nuts to space the connector to the right so the 7-pin connector is accessible:
Name:  QQPqPf8l.jpg
Size:  41.0 KB

But they couldn't push too far to the right to allow room to insert key for the lock:
Name:  8Sd5K5Sl.jpg
Size:  50.8 KB

This is where the receiver and ball is inserted. Note the spring loaded flap -- this is the reason it took 2 tries since the door hit the trim piece behind it previously which didn't allow the flap to open far enough to insert the hitch:
Name:  lLTHdDol.jpg
Size:  49.2 KB

This shows the receiver inserted into the main hitch:
Name:  52SSs3hl.jpg
Size:  49.0 KB

The **** to release the hitch:
Name:  YfGjMAal.jpg
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  W2AVwxhl.jpg
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  SOJYvfIl.jpg
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  trI6arCl.jpg
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  dCP3uUml.jpg
Size:  49.1 KB
Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks great! Thanks for the pics RobC.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Placed my order this morning. I inquired from Daryl on a copy of the instruction manual, which they are in the process of finalizing (should be ready next wk). He did however, forward a few other pictures from RobC's install.

RobC - Thanks again for your effort and congrats on the new hitch. Very, very clean looking with the cover on, I'm very pleased the way it turned out.

-tgt

Old 04-25-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

A few questions...

Does it work on the SQ5? Does price included shipping?
Old 04-25-2014, 04:32 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
A few questions...

Does it work on the SQ5? Does price included shipping?
I posted that info above, here it is again:

Two different invisihitch packages for the Q5/SQ5, priced as follows:

***All prices INCLUDE shipping to the lower 48 states

Q5 Rack-Only Invisihitch -- $490
• invisihitch with hidden vertical latching mechanism
• removable 2" square-tube receiver

Q5 Tow+Rack Invisihitch -- $619
• invisihitch with hidden vertical latching mechanism
• removable 2" square-tube receiver
• safety-chain attachment points
• removable 1-piece ballmount with ball (ball is user replaceable)
• passive wiring harness with 7-way round "RV style" trailer connector
• 7-way-round to 4-way-flat adapter

Quick Reply: FREE SQ5 Invisible Hitch (or S-line Q5) for someone who loves in the Atlanta Area!!!