Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Adblue question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adblue question

I picked up a brochure today from Audi and it says that adding adblue on your own will not fully refill the two adblue tanks. Is this just to scare you into going to the dealer? Why can't we just fill the system until it will not take any more?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That cautionary remark in the brochure may be technically correct in a given circumstance. Also, adding AdBlue "... until it will not take any more" can be a bit iffy due to the corrosive effect of an unintended overfill and spill. I believe there was a post somewhere how you can use VCDS to determine the required quantity.
That said, the Q5 TDI manual gives the owner detailed instructions on when and how to replenish the diesel exhaust fluid tank. Note that, besides AdBlue, there is also BlueDef and other DEF brands which meet the same ISO standard and can be sourced more economically and in larger quantities.

Last edited by Bürgermeister; 04-19-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014Q5TDI
Why can't we just fill the system until it will not take any more?
Read all about it starting on page 82 of this document -

http://vwts.ru/engine/cata/pps_94180...system_eng.pdf
Old 04-20-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Diesel Exhaust Fluid crystalizes very easily. Therefore, many times, the vehicles have an active and passive tank to heat the fluid so it can be useful.

I know this is the case on my 335d which has two fill spouts.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2014Q5TDI
I picked up a brochure today from Audi and it says that adding adblue on your own will not fully refill the two adblue tanks. Is this just to scare you into going to the dealer? Why can't we just fill the system until it will not take any more?
Thread below talks about filling the two Adblue tanks. Dealers use a tool to burp the system and get fluid into the lower tank. Something I'll try is Dutch van Atlanta's trick in post #11 from the thread. Park on a (guessing fairly steep?) uphill grade to fill. He got more fluid in the lower tank doing that. Don't know if this trick applies to our Q5 TDIs, but it's worth a shot...

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads...areg-tdi.2662/

Last edited by brutus23079; 04-21-2014 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm curious if the Q5 3.0 TDI has the two-tank system for AdBlue. The ETKA entry for the Q7 does, in fact, show the "passive" (next to the diesel tank) and "active" (sort of wrapped around up by the filler ports) tanks, but the ETKA entry for the Q5 shows only one tank, located down by the diesel fuel tank. See the attached pictures. Anyone have any first-hand experience with this on a Q5?
Attached Images   
Old 05-16-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by btlalum
I'm curious if the Q5 3.0 TDI has the two-tank system for AdBlue. The ETKA entry for the Q7 does, in fact, show the "passive" (next to the diesel tank) and "active" (sort of wrapped around up by the filler ports) tanks, but the ETKA entry for the Q5 shows only one tank, located down by the diesel fuel tank. See the attached pictures. Anyone have any first-hand experience with this on a Q5?
For your information following models have one AdBlue tank capacity: approx 24 liters
Q5 3.0L TDI, A6 3.0L TDI and A7 3.0 TDI, and A8 3.0L TDI

Last edited by spijun; 05-16-2014 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don Keener (05-11-2023)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a fair question. Like Spijun said, the 3.0 TDIs are all approx. 24 liters, but they could go about achieving that capacity in different ways. I'll be refilling after I get down around the 600-mile warning. (And yes, I have a VCDS to reset the sensor.) Will report back at that time how much fluid it took. Hoping I don't have to go through any special gyrations to fill up the pisser. If the official Audi procedure doesn't include using the burp tool, that would be a (welcome) tell-tale sign...

Last edited by brutus23079; 05-16-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by brutus23079
It's a fair question. Like Spijun said, the 3.0 TDIs are all approx. 24 liters, but they could go about achieving that capacity in different ways. I'll be refilling after I get down around the 600-mile warning. (And yes, I have a VCDS to reset the sensor.) Will report back at that time how much fluid it took. Hoping I don't have to go through any special gyrations to fill up the pisser. If the official Audi procedure doesn't include using the burp tool, that would be a (welcome) tell-tale sign...
I'll be interested to hear what you find out. I've attached two pages from the Erwin documents about refilling, using the VAS 6542 tool, which is the "recommended" way at the dealership so far as I can tell, and the verbiage for the Q5 doesn't say much about making sure of the "burp". It basically says to fill the "tank" (not "tanks") so I'm supposing the Q5 has only the one, based on the ETKA extract and the service text. Have a look and see what you think!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AdBlue.pdf (83.2 KB, 1795 views)
Old 05-16-2014, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I'll be interested to hear what you find out. I've attached two pages from the Erwin documents about refilling, using the VAS 6542 tool, which is the "recommended" way at the dealership so far as I can tell, and the verbiage for the Q5 doesn't say much about making sure of the "burp". It basically says to fill the "tank" (not "tanks") so I'm supposing the Q5 has only the one, based on the ETKA extract and the service text. Have a look and see what you think!
You do not need VAS6542 (fancy funnel with an adapter ). It is only for service
https://erwin.volkswagen.de/workshop...2501500000.htm

If you want, you can buy:
https://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDe...temid=15860026

You can easily pour AdBlue

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/13...e-Brochure.pdf
http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...-Year-2014.pdf

DPF filter and Adblue:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/v...pf-audi-q7.htm

or owner's manual

Name:  Clipboard_zps7ecef529.jpg
Views: 10189
Size:  145.5 KB

PS: I wonder why it is important that you have one or two tank ?
Why is it important ??

At the end: Q5 has only one tank for AdBlue

Last edited by spijun; 05-16-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Adblue question