A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worn upper control arm? Just replace it,

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Iv never had to really spread the knuckle to get the arms out. If he wasnt using a freaking toy hammer it might come out without spreading it haha. And not preloading, sheesh, instantly destroyed bushings as soon as the car hits the floor...
Old 04-18-2014, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback, I'm no master mechanics but this guy gave the hammer a little too much cow bell, even from my untrained eyes. I have ordered some of that PB stuff.

Ok look like Bentley is a little easer on her!

I am now a control arm expert and helping out my poor buddy with this 05 Outback, wow that car is missing a few control arms, why do we have so bloody many? I explained it to by buddy that if Subaru had a similar sized, weighted car and just the one control arm it wouldn't drive as nicely as my A8?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
You can install XP mode on Windows 7 and 8 which works quite well with the Bentley eBahn reader (its basically a complete version of XP installed concurrently)
The XP emulator on Vista works with varying degrees of success as I understand it.

Why Bentley doesn't offer a Win Vista/7/8 compatible eBahn reader to existing owners of its manuals is a bit silly in 2014...
Bentley did indeed rewrite an updated version of the eBahn Reader to work with Vista years ago.

When I 1st switched to Vista 32bit years back, Bentley wouldn't work, so they gave me free access to their online subscription (when they still did that). A little over a year later, they worked it out and I've used it with Vista ever since. All it requires is to open it as administrator or grant permission each time. I've also had to specifically list eBahn as "safe" in some antivirus protection programs, on the "exclusions" page.

No other problems.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaboTheWuff

I also have a upper right rear control arm this is so worn you can see through it but even so, the car drive surprisingly well. The problem with the rear control arm is you gotta remove the spring and I could never figure out what everyone was talking about here on the forums on how to remove it. Audi says you need their special million dollar spring compressor.
I'd MUCH rather have the proper clam-shell spring compressor, but I've R/R'er rear springs twice without it. Really easy to get spring out safely, but a little tougher to get back in. Last time, I used a set of front compressors (dirt cheap everywhere) that I modified (one shaft short to fit limited space behind spring) to partially compress the coil before re-installing.

With the car up (jack or stands), place another jack under the trapezoidal arm (spring rests on it) with a little pressure, then remove just the 2 inner bolts though the inboard bushings of the arm...it will NOT fly open like you may think, because the spring does not have that much load left on it when suspension is hanging. Slowly lower the trap arm and the spring will practically fall out.

I've seen clam shell compressors on eBay for well under $150 that should do the job. Even if you only partially compress the spring, re-installation with the arm drop method would be very simple.

Years back, when I made a plea to my local Audi dealer to rent their spring compressor, they admitted they had stripped it years ago and now only do rear springs by the trap arm drop method that I used.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=silverd2;24561302]
I've seen clam shell compressors on eBay for well under $150 that should do the job. Even if you only partially compress the spring, re-installation with the arm drop method would be very simple./QUOTE]

This looks like promising:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clam-Spring-Shock-Compressor-Strut-Suspension-Remover-Installer-single-action-/281054401995?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417025d5cb&vxp=mtr
As far as the Bentley Manual goes I have to run it on my Mac and don't really want to install Parallels just for the ready program - not sure if Wine will work. I do have an old netbook lying around with Window 7 on it though.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll find the Subaru uses a McPherson Strut - A cheap and lightweight solution to front suspension. I would like to say it's compromised, but BMW use it, so does the A3/Golf, so does the Focus - and a lot of other great handling cars.

The Quadlink used on all Audi's bigger than the A4 is also light weight (being largely aluminium), but is largely designed to produce a zero camber change lock to lock, which keeps maximum tyre tread on the road at all times regardless of steering angle and keeps the tyre in the optimum position under the suspension. Nothing else (not even double wishbone as used by Mercedes) can achieve that level of control. It's complicated, but it produces great handling and aids in a very composed ride.

Ride quality though was solved by Jaguar in the 1970's. Series 1 XJ6's have an enviable smoothness, and very good handling (even by modern standards). The A8 will ride just about as well (the preference these days is for a slightly firmer more controlled ride), but will have supreme handling (and undoubtedly better brakes!).

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 05-10-2014 at 09:14 PM.