Myriad 100Q running issues - so much oil in the intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Myriad 100Q running issues - so much oil in the intake

Well let me just say my throttle butterflies are never going to seize up! After searching the forum, I cleaned all the breather pipes out, did an oil change, running 15w-40 rotella and I just cannot get it to stop dumping oil into the intake at a copious rate. Like a qt every 150 miles. If I pinch off the breather pipe it raises the idle quite a bit (likely normal). I seafoamed the intake this weekend too cause it was ugly in there, and now having crazy long starts . Verified no intake/vacuum leaks (I found a small one that didnt affect running before, now fixed)

On top of this, I cleaned the ICV, verified operation of the valve via output tests, but I cannot get it to kick in on idle, so it dies at stoplights if I have anything else running.

Hmm lets see what else. PO broke the part that goes into the ignition switch from the tumbler, so it has the cold start valve and starter rigged up on pushbuttons (have new tumbler on the way), what does turning the key do with the ECU besides for fire the cold start, does it retard the timing at all or activate any other systems?

also set distributor to TDC and have played with it a few degrees adv/ret to see if it helped starting. Knock sensor has been replaced with the one with gold contacts. New air filter. Car is gorgeous, just want to knock all of the issues out. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK so here is the diagnosis. And I am very confused by it to say the least. Appears that the timing belt was done by eyeball, maybe a dowel in the #1 piston to set TDC, and twisting the dizzy so it ran ok. When I got it and started putting it back to stock was when the issues started. The 0 on the flywheel is around 120 degrees off from the cam marks, and the dizzy is set to a few cylinders off too. It runs, but is doggy. I know about the golf cam sprocket being off, but this appears to be the original. Anyone else ever seen this issue? On a 6 cylinder I have seen it 180 degrees off and running fine. So are my injectors firing out of sync because the TDC pin on the flywheel and hall sender are off a few cylinders? Oil consumption could be from excessive vacuum from being off?
Old 04-08-2014, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update 2

Well, although there hasnt been much thread activity on this one, I figured I would reconcile the post for people who come in from a search engine. Timing was in fact off, so after sneaking the belt off and into the right place, resetting the distributor and wires, and a plug change from Autolite (ugh) to Bosch Super Plus, car fires like a champ and is around 2 times quicker off the line. Also notice the oil intake is to a minimum. Cleaned the injectors and air shroud system after I remedied this and it is much better.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the update, even if no one else posted. Was just about to suggest throwing a catch can on there, but it sounds like you got root cause remedied.