Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 pano roof driving me crazy!!

Old 11-01-2013, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=hopkinss;24504684]
Originally Posted by Audi1177777

I took it in for the 5,000 mile oil change and told them about the noise. The noise was a muffled clunk, or if going over a lot of bumps, I guess I could see where someone might describe it as ticking or creaking. Two technicians got in the car with me and drove around, one drove, one sat in the back. They both heard the noise and agreed that the roof was the source. They requested I schedule another time to take it back in because they would need to keep it for a while. It just happened that the horn stopped working so I scheduled for both services. It took them about 3 business days to order in the sun roof frame and install it. No noises from the roof since.
Thanks that helps, I think i am experiencing the same problem too and the best way to solve this is to take the tech out for a test drive.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same problem. and some

I've been back and forth to the dealers an upwards of 5 times already regarding the sunroof. First time they applied lubricant and that did not work at all. Second time, they said they readjusted the frame and that did not work either. Third time they replaced the sunroof and it went away for a few hundred miles and came back. Fourth time I brought it in they said that they removed the sunroof and checked and then reinstalled it saying that nothing was wrong. I take it back and have been driving it for about 500 miles and recently the noise has returned. But it is the same issue that you have because the ticking noise goes away when the sunroof is open. I am going for my 5k service soon and will bring it up to them again.

**note: out of all these trips to the dealership, I went on a test drive with the tech 2 times. Also went in for the clunking noise in the trunk area. They fixed it with felt lining. Also had a zipping/squeaking noise that fed into the steering wheel and they replaced the steering column but did not solve the issue. Went back to the dealers and they issued a TSB saying that it's due to some rubbing mechanism that was occurring and that it would go away as the car is driven more. Very disappointed with these problems on my first Audi to say the least. I hope all of you have had better experiences with Audi and its reliability. I drive a 2013 Audi Q5 3.0 btw.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by vint2008
I've been back and forth to the dealers an upwards of 5 times already regarding the sunroof. First time they applied lubricant and that did not work at all. Second time, they said they readjusted the frame and that did not work either. Third time they replaced the sunroof and it went away for a few hundred miles and came back. Fourth time I brought it in they said that they removed the sunroof and checked and then reinstalled it saying that nothing was wrong. I take it back and have been driving it for about 500 miles and recently the noise has returned. But it is the same issue that you have because the ticking noise goes away when the sunroof is open. I am going for my 5k service soon and will bring it up to them again.

**note: out of all these trips to the dealership, I went on a test drive with the tech 2 times. Also went in for the clunking noise in the trunk area. They fixed it with felt lining. Also had a zipping/squeaking noise that fed into the steering wheel and they replaced the steering column but did not solve the issue. Went back to the dealers and they issued a TSB saying that it's due to some rubbing mechanism that was occurring and that it would go away as the car is driven more. Very disappointed with these problems on my first Audi to say the least. I hope all of you have had better experiences with Audi and its reliability. I drive a 2013 Audi Q5 3.0 btw.
Hi sorry to hear that u have the same problem,I have my Q5 for a year now and it only had about 3500 miles on it because I don't drive it often and this is my first Audi too. I just hope that they can fix this roof without having me bring it in so many times like u did. This noise totally ruins the ride quilts of this vehicle, I am little disappointed in Audi's built quality now, it's a 50K car and all should be normal at least. I just schedule my service next Tuesday and I will let u know how they do. By the way are u in New Jersey area?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panoramic sunroofs are known to be bad if you hate rattles. You'll see the same complaints on forums of other cars, even more expensive ones like the Tesla S.

It's best to order the car without it unless you really want it for some reason.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vblick
Pictures please?
here are the pictures
Attached Images    
Old 11-04-2013, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
here are the pictures
What does the last picture represent?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've had my new Q5 3.0 less than a week.

I do hear some noises in the back going over bumps, so I don't know if that's the rear sunshade or some other issues with the seats rattling a bit.

What's the "rear seat" fix?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
What does the last picture represent?
Last picture is the Velcro pads that was used. You will need to cut to fit perfectly
Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
Last picture is the Velcro pads that was used. You will need to cut to fit perfectly
Thanks, my trunk also rattles little bit too but not as bad as my pano roof. I think I will buy some of those and put it on. Does the pads have sticky side to it or do u need some kind of glue?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Audi1177777
Thanks, my trunk also rattles little bit too but not as bad as my pano roof. I think I will buy some of those and put it on. Does the pads have sticky side to it or do u need some kind of glue?
they come with sticky side. I was like THANKGOD the cabin has been quiet ever since. as for your pano roof, use quick wax to wipe down the rubber around the trim of the pano.

Last edited by AudiQ5sleeper; 11-04-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Q5 pano roof driving me crazy!!