A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2004 A6 w/ 17" rims - tires keep shredding

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

SP9K are still manufactured...just not imported to US. I use them on my 2K4.2A6 and still have 45 tires with over 7/32 left and one brand new one I'm rotating into use ths spring. I got 4 new ones two years ago close out from GA in USA. No checking, but unless Dunlop imports them ill probably have to get a modern tire. I run conti DW on the S6.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run the DWS tires...
Old 01-20-2014, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jseklund
The knuckle is the ONLY thing it could be rubbing and there is a nub that looks like it would fit perfectly into the groove.
Paint the nub and see if the paint wears off. If it does, grind it down.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Why the heck didn't I think of that?!! I'm doing that...also still looking for any other theories...
Old 01-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

My A6 does that too. Oddly the only tires that actually last on my car are snow tires. Anything harder than that seems to become devoured on the inner edge, even with a perfect alignment.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

There is no way there is that much flex in the knuckle. You would only have that contact if the bearing was completed wasted.

Is the alleged contact point all shiny and polished? Is there shredded rubber in the wheel well.

I think you need to try a new alignment shop.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
There is no way there is that much flex in the knuckle. You would only have that contact if the bearing was completed wasted.

Is the alleged contact point all shiny and polished? Is there shredded rubber in the wheel well.

I think you need to try a new alignment shop.
Again, this is actually my exact thinking on this. No polish, there are some black marks on the contact point.

So, assuming it IS an alignment issue - I don't see how the wheel would fall apart like this. This is as close to catastrophic failure as I can imagine without blowing out a tire. Plus, the wheel would have to be so badly aligned that it was resting on the corner of the tire, and that just isn't the case and there are no other signs of this issue anywhere else on the tire....I'm just trying to figure out how to stop this so that I don't go through tires every 20-30K. The spacers were my first thought, but if it isn't rubbing the knuckle they won't help...
Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Why the heck didn't I think of that?!! I'm doing that...also still looking for any other theories...
Take the wheel of and spray paint everything that looks like it could rub. The tire has to be hitting somewhere. You could also have your alignment mechanic swing the tires both ways on the alignment rack and inspect it from below.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't deny that it seems unpossible. The issue for me is, the tire is worn out in such a way that it doesn't look like solely an alignment issue. There is about a 1/8-1/4" square gouge out of the tire. The tread is fine right up to the corner, then it drops to the belt suddenly, with no sign of wear beyond the destruction. The inner sidewall exhibits the same characteristics, no wear and then drops to belt. The damage is also not consistent around the tire - it is damaged all the way around, but not as deep in a few spots.

The knuckle is the ONLY thing it could be rubbing and there is a nub that looks like it would fit perfectly into the groove.

It seems impossible to me - but I don't know what else could be wrong...I don't think it is just that the tire is tracking at an angle and rubbing the ground and wearing out...
Bent wheel?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Take the wheel of and spray paint everything that looks like it could rub. The tire has to be hitting somewhere. You could also have your alignment mechanic swing the tires both ways on the alignment rack and inspect it from below.
The tires need to be loaded and turn the steering corner to corner to check for hits. You'll probably need to turn the wheel so the damaged area on the tire is closest to whatever it's hitting.

It could well be that the knuckle is hitting only when the wheel is fully turned and the car is pulling a U-turn. Although that might be what is happening, it isn't the source of the problem which would be something else, like a bent carrier/arm and the alignment guy used the tie rod ends to straighten out the wheel.

Also, check the crossmember attachment bolts to the subframe, etc. and retorque them.

Quick Reply: 2004 A6 w/ 17" rims - tires keep shredding