Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Buying Q5 - 2.0T or 3.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default It's a matter of degree

The Q5 2.0T (the gas part of my Hybrid) feels generally smooth through the steering wheel or otherwise. There is a very modest bit of vibration at idle, but it isn't very noticable. Smoother than prior fours I have owned, both N.A. and turbo. Since I have a Hybrid that cycles from gas to electric as part of the design and includes stop-start in that same set up, I would definitely notice if the two modes were a lot different at idle/stopped.

On the other hand, no it's not quite as smooth as my prior A6 4.2 and obviously can't compete w/ a W12. Again though, if I compare those two, I could feel the 4.2 motor a bit through the steering in that car at idle if I really thought about it, though it in turn was smoother than my preceding A6Q 2.8 V6. For the less subtle, having had a 2013 Q7 TDI loaner with about 2500 miles on it last week, there was a vehicle where it was pretty darn obvious through the steering and otherwise, particularly down toward idle and when not as warmed up. Surprised me some actually; I would have thought the electrically controlled motor mounts would have done more for it.

Back for the OP, even owning Audis w/ a bunch more cylinders, I'm very satisfied with the 2.0T's smoothness. I have more torque when needed relative to a standard 2.0T, but no complaints on basic gas side driveline feel.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-22-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You may regret getting a 2.0, but you will never regret getting a 3.0. It's like driving with and electric motor. It's that smooth.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my experience...

On May 31st I purchased a 2.0 because I knew it was enough power after test driving, although I loved the feel of the 3.0. After driving the 2.0 for 2 weeks (600 miles) with lots of time in heavy stop and go local and highway traffic I realized my error. The 2.0 drives more like a slingshot. What I mean is that you get that Turbo kick after a second or two which makes the car all the more difficult to slow down with powerful momentum at work. My wife did not like driving it all either. Even though it was for me, I did not want to own a car my wife was not comfortable driving.

I went back to the dealer and paid what I term a "stupidity tax" to upgrade to the 3.0 since I obviously lost the leverage in negotiation I had making a purchase at month end. Fast forward 6 months and I love love love the 3.0. It is so smooth and wonderful to drive. With a 6 month old in the back it is a much better choice for me as well. Also, perhaps my 2.0 had a build issue, but I find the build quality on the 3.0 to be significantly better. My 2.o rattled on bumpy roads. I've never heard anything resembling a rattle on the 3.0.

So, if money is not the deciding factor make sure you drive both to understand the differences in drive and feel so you don't regret the decision afterwards as I did.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Dan,

I bought the Q5 3.2 is 2009 - first year it was available.
Fast forward August 2014. I did not consider the 3.0 as I felt the 2.0 had enough power, but more importantly was the $$$$$ consideration. The 3.0 was simply more than what was in my budget. Had it been in my budget, I would have opted for the larger engine. To this day, I'm wondering if I should ponied up and bought the 3.O.
While the 2.0 has plenty of power, it's still hauling 4 tons and more than that when you have 4 passengers and luggage. Some people like to hear the louder engine, I prefer the quieter, smoother larger engine. I also wonder - and I could be dead wrong, that hauling 4k +, puts more wear on the engine and the turbo, than on the 3.0 engine.
Regarding the sport seats, they are way more comfortable than the standard seats and I don't know why Audi limits your color choices. Regarding exterior color, I have the moonlight blue and, looks pretty ok when clean, but looks very dull very fast with any type of dust, snow/salt residue etc.If I could go back in time, the only thing I would have changed is the color and held out for the black pearl.

Bob

Last edited by bob m; 12-23-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:36 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

3.0 TDI FTW!
Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They both have the pluses and minuses. If you have been driving a small displacment engine, you may like the 2.0T. We have had a couple of 3.5 V6's over the last decade and the 2.0T just did not have enough get up and go for us. The 2.0T just seemed to struggle until you got the RPMs up. The 3.0T, even in D, has plenty of power for our tastes. It is even more fun when driven in S. Fuel economy was only a small part of the decision and the 3.0 fell into the high end of our price range.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

You folks are makin' this very tough! LOL. I'm baking for the family Christmas dinner right now, so I'll have to save a detailed reply for later.

Thanks for the great feedback

Regards,
Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we were shopping I came across a couple of comparison tests which featured the X3 2.0 and Q5 2.0. In both cases the X3 got noticeably better performance and very similar gas mileage vs. the Q. Same with the base/only V6's in the GLK and RDX.

We liked the X3, and others, well enough, but much preferred the overall Q5 package when it came time to buy.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dan,

I drove both back-to-back and couldn't discern much of a difference between the 2.0 and the 3.0. I went for the 2.0 because I didn't feel the extra money was worth it. Better gas mileage with the 2.0 is a plus as well. The only thing thing that made me waver on the choice was ego. After driving it 120mph on the autobahn during my European delivery and not breaking 4000rpm, I can live with the less-than model.

As for the seats, mine is moonlight blue with the sport seats in black. My dealer never indicated that there were exterior color limitations by getting the sport seats. And, I do recommend the sport seats.

Everyone should be so lucky to have only these types of choices before them. Good luck with your decision.

Chad
2014 2.0
Moonlight Blue
Black Sport Seats
19" wheels
B+O
Side Assist
Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default My 2014, 2.0T accelerates smoothly....

Originally Posted by dnajar
Here is my experience...

On May 31st I purchased a 2.0 because I knew it was enough power after test driving, although I loved the feel of the 3.0. After driving the 2.0 for 2 weeks (600 miles) with lots of time in heavy stop and go local and highway traffic I realized my error. The 2.0 drives more like a slingshot. What I mean is that you get that Turbo kick after a second or two which makes the car all the more difficult to slow down with powerful momentum at work. My wife did not like driving it all either. Even though it was for me, I did not want to own a car my wife was not comfortable driving.

I went back to the dealer and paid what I term a "stupidity tax" to upgrade to the 3.0 since I obviously lost the leverage in negotiation I had making a purchase at month end. Fast forward 6 months and I love love love the 3.0. It is so smooth and wonderful to drive. With a 6 month old in the back it is a much better choice for me as well. Also, perhaps my 2.0 had a build issue, but I find the build quality on the 3.0 to be significantly better. My 2.o rattled on bumpy roads. I've never heard anything resembling a rattle on the 3.0.

So, if money is not the deciding factor make sure you drive both to understand the differences in drive and feel so you don't regret the decision afterwards as I did.
no slingshot sensation, no turbo lag, no hesitation. This 2.0T is as smooth as my previouse 3.0 A4. I really see no difference, it is quiet with just a little rumble from the exhaust, much the same as the A4 did.

I really need to drive my cousin's 2011 2.0T to see any differences, but I really do believe that they refined the 2014 2.0T. It has a 9HP gain, and other tweaks that must have made some great improvments. This thing is quick, nice linear power, easily modulated, I'm very happy with the engine, it's the giggly ride that me and family don't care for.

Quick Reply: Buying Q5 - 2.0T or 3.0T?