Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Buying Q5 - 2.0T or 3.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsackman
Yes, and it is fantastic overkill. I moved up from a 2.0T to the 3.0T when they came out. I agree it appears to be less nimble, but there is nothing wrong with the agility of the 3.0T.

If you can swing it, treat yourself and get the 3.0T.

While I am generally happy with our 2.0, there is no denying that it's hauling around 4,000+ pounds. I can see how the 3.0 would be appealing.

For someone shopping they really have to drive both and be aware of the differences, see what meets their needs before pulling the trigger.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing, if you do order 19s on your 2.0T, avoid the Goodyear tires if you can. They are lousy, even for all season tires.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Scott Evil
One more thing, if you do order 19s on your 2.0T, avoid the Goodyear tires if you can. They are lousy, even for all season tires.
I have Goodyear Excellence 20" on my Q5, and am happy with the performance. Certainly much quieter than the P-Zeros. As far as comparing the 2.0 to the 3.0, I test drove both, and while the 2.0 does well, the 3.0 performed better for me, and the extra cost is worth it. Much more power in the mid range band.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Sean, something wrong....

Originally Posted by stash64
The only thing I don't like about the 2.0T is harshness below 2000 rpm. I can feel engine vibration thru the steering wheel. I have been keeping my Q5 in Sport mode most of the time to keep the engine above 2000 rpm.

This trait is a disappointment in particular because I never noticed any engine harshness on my 2006 A3 with 2.0T. My A3 had the DSG transmission, which may have something to do with it, but I think it is more likely due to the higher load on the engine with the Q5. It could also be due in part to the steering... hydraulic assist vs electric.
I don't feel any harshness at all through the steering wheel of my 2014, Q5, 2.0T. No vibration, quite smooth.

You may want to have the dealer check it out.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Even in a turbo/supercharged world, there is still no substitute for cubic inches. 3.0T
Old 12-22-2013, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I don't feel any harshness at all through the steering wheel of my 2014, Q5, 2.0T. No vibration, quite smooth.

You may want to have the dealer check it out.
It sounds like something the dealer should look at. My steering is smooth and direct too.

Any nuances I feel with the engine are felt with the throttle and the seat of the pants vs. the steering.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just came back from a short trip...

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
It sounds like something the dealer should look at. My steering is smooth and direct too.

Any nuances I feel with the engine are felt with the throttle and the seat of the pants vs. the steering.
ran it in both S and D modes, with many times cruising in any gear less than 2K rpms, and zero vibrations or harshness in the steering wheel. Super smooth.

Bob P.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Depends, this is going to be a sweet 4 banger....

Originally Posted by GreyCoupe
Even in a turbo/supercharged world, there is still no substitute for cubic inches. 3.0T
http://www.benzboost.com/content.php...-call-the-M133
Old 12-22-2013, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that the 3.0 will be faster and that was my experience. And that the 2.0 will have decent performance and that was my experience. But some folks have indicated that the 2.0 feels more nimble and handles better. And again, that was my experience - nimble, with better handling. And I think that is what I was feeling when I drove the 2.0 - "nimble". And nimble means fun. For me, anyway.

Your feedback has helped me crystalize my thoughts. The 3.0 has a little better accelleration and a bit poorer gas mileage, and costs a bit more than the 2.0. But frankly, there's not enough difference to sway me one over the other. Within the next two weeks, my dealer should have a 3.0 and 2.0 with 19" wheels available for back to back test drives. Unless something about the 3.0 knocks my socks off, I'm getting the 2.0.

Regarding color, the Lava Gray may be a great color, but the Seattle weather is gray much of the year. The local weather doesn't show off the Lava Gray at its best. The Lava Gray doesn't ring my chimes, but if that's what is available with the sport seats, then "that is that"

Again thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
Old 12-22-2013, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was making the decision, it was between Q5 3.0 vs. Q5 2.0 vs. Allroad 2.0.
If you want nimble, the allroad wins - it also feels about as fast as the 3.0 Q5.
The Q5 3.0 runs 0-60 in about 6.0 seconds, and Car & Driver clocked the Allroad at 6.3 seconds. The 2.0 is very torquey and as you know the allroad sits lower than the Q5 and you easily get up to 90 mph - 100 mph. I'm getting 25-26 MPG for city driving with the allroad, which is a surprise. The Q5 3.0 will eat more gas. Look for a slightly used allroad. I paid considerably less for a slightly used one.

Originally Posted by Dan Clark
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that the 3.0 will be faster and that was my experience. And that the 2.0 will have decent performance and that was my experience. But some folks have indicated that the 2.0 feels more nimble and handles better. And again, that was my experience - nimble, with better handling. And I think that is what I was feeling when I drove the 2.0 - "nimble". And nimble means fun. For me, anyway.

Your feedback has helped me crystalize my thoughts. The 3.0 has a little better accelleration and a bit poorer gas mileage, and costs a bit more than the 2.0. But frankly, there's not enough difference to sway me one over the other. Within the next two weeks, my dealer should have a 3.0 and 2.0 with 19" wheels available for back to back test drives. Unless something about the 3.0 knocks my socks off, I'm getting the 2.0.

Regarding color, the Lava Gray may be a great color, but the Seattle weather is gray much of the year. The local weather doesn't show off the Lava Gray at its best. The Lava Gray doesn't ring my chimes, but if that's what is available with the sport seats, then "that is that"

Again thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Buying Q5 - 2.0T or 3.0T?