S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by turbonator
How are these on dry winter roads? Do you give up a lot of handling and steering feel?

I'm in the NYC area and we usually get 2-3 major snow storms each winter and the roads are cleared pretty quickly. I was looking at something like the Michelin Pilot Alpin which is a performance oriented snow tire.
The studded tires, as mentioned, give up some performance on dry/wet roads (a dry road will feel damp, for instance). For the standard "R2" model, they won't exhibit any squirm or mushy handling characteristics. Like any winter tire, you can't corner at 9/10ths because the rubber compound is too soft. Top speed is also limited, but this is pretty academic in the winter. My S4 Cab has the Hakka R (predecessor to the R2) and they're a fantastic tire on cold, dry or wet roads.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get a chance could you let me know if there is a website you can order off of that you trust. Tire Rack and Discount Tires didn't have them.

Thanks. I can go down to STS, and I think they will order them for me, however if I can do it on my own online, I would prefer. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gpj111
If you get a chance could you let me know if there is a website you can order off of that you trust. Tire Rack and Discount Tires didn't have them.

Thanks. I can go down to STS, and I think they will order them for me, however if I can do it on my own online, I would prefer. Thanks.
I got mine through Tires By Web. When you order, ask for a discount and you'll usually get one. It was a painless transaction.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'll check that out...thanks.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered mine same place.

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I got mine through Tires By Web. When you order, ask for a discount and you'll usually get one. It was a painless transaction.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I owe you guys an apology... with a little effort on my part I would have seen the recent responses you gave from an earlier 'Winter Tire' question in the forum.

Appreciate you guys duplicating the responses. Ordering the tires tomorrow.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just ordered the R2's in 245/40 19. They also have the R's at tiresbyweb for a little less. I would recommend getting them sooner then later as their stock is dwindling. Ask for Ryan and a discount.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gpj111
Thanks. I'm in NJ where the roads are not always covered with snow, rather more often slush. If the roads are primarily cold pavement/slush are studded tires still ok? Or doesnt it make a difference either way.
I'm in NJ as well and purchased some Pirelli Sottozero Serie 2 and ran them all last winter (19 inch wheels). Was very pleased with them - good in snow, not too noisy (which is a tradeoff some manufacturers make) and the handling was pretty good. Got them at Tire Rack.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just ordered some Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60s from Tire Rack in 255/40R19. They are on clearance for $210/ea with a $50 Visa gift card. I ran these on my S4 and currently run them on my wife's Tiguan (soon to be Q5). Not too noisy, a bit of squirm when it gets above 35 degrees or so, but overall great tires.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Just ordered some Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60s from Tire Rack in 255/40R19. They are on clearance for $210/ea with a $50 Visa gift card. I ran these on my S4 and currently run them on my wife's Tiguan (soon to be Q5). Not too noisy, a bit of squirm when it gets above 35 degrees or so, but overall great tires.

I'm thinking of ordering these too. I was deciding between these and the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Blizzaks and save myself $200.

How do they hold up? Denver has a lot of dry warmish days in the winter, and I'm afraid I'll burn through them quickly. How many miles did you get out of your other sets?

Quick Reply: Winter Tires