A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Audi longevity and maintenance?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi longevity and maintenance?

I've got a used 2006 Audi A4 2.0T which I believe is a B7, that's going to be coming up on 60,000 miles in the next few weeks or even days. I've been advised that I should make a "wise financial decision" and trade it in for a basic Kia or Hyundae. The reasoning here is that maintenance will be expensive because it's no longer under warranty.

I really don't see the logic here. The car runs fine and hasn't required anything other than regular maintenance. And beyond the fact that I loathe the idea of downgrading to a basic-level scooter, I have Scheuermann’s kyphosis and the seats in my Audi are the only seats that don't murder my back. A basic-level car isn't going to have the support/comfort I need.

So I can either drop thousands of dollars in repairs if something goes wrong with my Audi, or I can maybe, possibly, potentially save money by trading it in for a cheaper car, then have to drop thousands of dollars in repairs on my spine when I get older. I don't like my options.

So what's the longevity of an Audi? After 60,000 miles, how much longer should I expect it to run without costing a fortune?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you regularly change your oil every 4k to 5k miles, and keep up with the standard maintenance schedule, it really isn't a money pit. Audi has done a nice job addressing major mechanical issues such as coilpacks (full recall), cam follower wear (extended warranty), PCV valve (extended warranty), intake flap motor (not sure if recall or extended warranty), etc. to name the big issues with the B7s.

If your car is unmodified (i.e. not chipped, etc.) you will have no issue getting Audi to cover the full costs of these repairs should something occur before 120,000 miles.

The big scheduled maintenance job is the timing belt which you'll need to change somewhere between 85k and 100k miles (Audi says 100k miles, but I think it should done sooner). This job can cost upwards of $900 if performed by the dealer. If you are mechanically inclined you can purchase the kit for something like $250 bucks and perform it yourself...though it is time intensive.

Ultimately: Be nice to your Audi and she will be nice to you.....

Last edited by Shanster; 05-09-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

it really isn't a money pit. Audi has done a nice job addressing major mechanical issues such as coilpacks (full recall), cam follower wear (extended warranty), PCV valve (extended warranty), intake flap motor (not sure if recall or extended warranty), etc. to name the big issues with the B7s.
What are the limits of this extended warranty? At the time of purchase it had about a year left on warranty, so that would have expired about two years ago. The only thing about that previous warranty that I recall is that coil pack replacement wasn't covered, however the dealership replaced mine for free after we found out the previous owner washed the engine and messed up the coil packs.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

For the Cam Follower/Cam Shaft/HPFP and for the PCV it is 10 years/120k miles, which ever occurs first. I believe that also goes for the intake flap motor, but I'm not sure. Just call Audi of America and give them your VIN number and they can tell you what recalls/warranty extensions you qualify for.

Coilpacks should have been replaced regardless of whether it was in warranty or not.

I also recommend doing a search for typical issues/problems with B7s. It has been covered pretty extensively.

I hope that helps. Plus saying "I drive an Audi" sounds waaaay better than "I drive a Kia." lol
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

By the way, the Cam Follower/Cam Shaft/HPFP repair is a doozy. It can cost somewhere near $2400 if you have an independent mechanic perform the repair and I've only heard of Audi reimbursing a max of like $1800. I would check to see if there is a hole in the cam follower (or have someone else check it) and if there is, reassemble it all and head straight to an Audi dealer to have them do a full replacement. You could have audi check to see if there is a hole in the follower, but I would expect to pay for labor if it is not worn through.

Do not let them only replace the follower if it is worn all the way through and not the cam shaft and high pressure fuel pump.

If it is showing wear (which is normal), but not worn through, replacing just the cam follower is acceptable. This will not be covered under the extended warranty because this is preventative maintenance according to Audi (bull**** if you ask me).

Last edited by Shanster; 05-09-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks; I'll give Audi a call and see what's covered on my vehicle.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

My experience Audi's and German cars in general can get expensive with repairs after 120K.
Do not confuse maintenance with repairs. Warranty is for repairs not maintenance
My B7 calls for timing belt service at 110K and may do it sooner if we still have it then..
At that point, almost all will need control arms, cv boots and or joints, calipers repairs etc.
They tend to hold their value until about 90k miles and then drop pretty fast in value.
If your car looks good and runs well, I would keep it for a while and start looking now to figure out what you want.
No disrespect to Hyundai or Kia, but they don,t really compare driving experience wise.