A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Does anybody else hate their rain sensing wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All 3 of my cars have rain sensors and none are perfect. In general they work well but at times I wish it would wipe more (even set to max sensitivity) especially in very light rain or fog. Having said that, It's still better than intermittent wipers.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine seems to agree with my needs.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nothing better than when a big juicy insect sets off your wipers on the highway.....
Old 05-29-2009, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sid77
Nothing better than when a big juicy insect sets off your wipers on the highway.....
it sometimes does this? I guess the system is far from perfect.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default you can always turn auto wipers off

If you leave the stalk at the 2nd lowest setting the auto sensing wipers don't come on. When it's raining if you bypass the next highest setting (it would be intermittant on a non auto wiper sensing car) to the 4 th lowest the wipers come on and stay on.

What setting in the MMI do you have your auto headlights set on? The auto wipers use the same sensor to determine when to come on. If you have the headlights to not come on till it gets quite dark, your wipers don't come on until your screen is very wet. I have mine set on medium and have no complaints.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Mist
What setting in the MMI do you have your auto headlights set on? The auto wipers use the same sensor to determine when to come on. If you have the headlights to not come on till it gets quite dark, your wipers don't come on until your screen is very wet. I have mine set on medium and have no complaints.
If I don't use the "auto" headlight setting then what happens to the wipers?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mart242
it sometimes does this? I guess the system is far from perfect.
My 08 TT did it constantly. My A5 not so much, however it still happens.

Insects in the summer are really bad where i live. After an hour on the highway, there are so many bug hits that the front of the car looks like its growing fur...
Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dark_Mist
Are you kidding me? Is this mentioned in the owner's manual? I read that thing cover to cover (months ago, for sure), but don't remember seeing anything about the wiper's initial sensitivity being linked to the Auto-headlights' Early/Medium/Late setting. That would be kind of cool and ridiculous at the same time (to me), akin to linking a ceiling fan's light switch with it's fan speed selection (which has no obvious relationship).
Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Are you kidding me? Is this mentioned in the owner's manual? I read that thing cover to cover (months ago, for sure), but don't remember seeing anything about the wiper's initial sensitivity being linked to the Auto-headlights' Early/Medium/Late setting. That would be kind of cool and ridiculous at the same time (to me), akin to linking a ceiling fan's light switch with it's fan speed selection (which has no obvious relationship).
Its the same sensor, but not sure if the two functions are linked. But i have mine as medium too and not complaints.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by A4DK
Its the same sensor, but not sure if the two functions are linked. But i have mine as medium too and not complaints.
how do you all know it's the same sensor? AFAIK the rain sensor is part of the windshield mount on the windshield (the dark circle,etc.). I know this because when I was thinking of replacing my windshield, the glass guy told me to make sure I specifically ask for the windshield with rain sensor (i.e. there's a windshield with and one without). The sensor for the headlights is definitely not on the windshield and I find it hard to believe they use the same sensor. I think someone is just making this up. Last time I read, rain sensors use infared light to detect drops of water, etc. how the hell could this be used for headlights?!?

Quick Reply: Does anybody else hate their rain sensing wipers?