Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Windshield wiper fluid low warning constantly on

Old 04-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay. I couldn't stand it anymore.

Went out to get a siphon pump, failed because, I'm guessing its the way the reservoir is bent and designed. But, from what i got out and saw on the pump, there was a lot of residue and gunk on the pipe. So draining and flushing it with water may not clean it properly, thus needing a sensor replacement.

Ill try clearing out the fluid via the stalk and flushing it that way. Might have build up on one of the nozzles too....
Old 04-16-2014, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This might sound dumb, but how about warming up some water and putting that in the reservoir and running through? Just not boiling water, but fairly warm??
Old 04-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not dumb at all. But the thing is, I went home and washed my hands and the siphon with warm water and the combination of the water and the reside made it kind of sticky. And some of the reside that got scrapped off at the end of the tube was still on there.

I'll try my luck again tomorrow or when the freak cold front moves on.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jack-e-son
Not dumb at all. But the thing is, I went home and washed my hands and the siphon with warm water and the combination of the water and the reside made it kind of sticky. And some of the reside that got scrapped off at the end of the tube was still on there.

I'll try my luck again tomorrow or when the freak cold front moves on.
I'm experiencing this on my C6, and I'm wondering 1 year out how this gets resolved. Indeed I put in RainX and am now having trouble. I'm planning to empty it around the next rainy day, flush with some warm water and then fill it with some other low-cold non RainX brand. Does anyone have a recommendation of a -20 or so fluid? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2015, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had my sensor replaced under warranty for the same problem. I was never advised that Rain-X was the cause, so I'm glad to have stumbled onto this thread. I'm shocked that Rain-X would make something so different that it would break sensors -- this is a very bizarre problem.

Last edited by peterp; 03-31-2015 at 06:56 AM. Reason: removed comment about Audi sensor being sensitive because it happens to other cars according to Rain-X amazon reviews
Old 03-30-2015, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just looked at Amazon reviews -- affects a lot more than Audi! -> Amazon: Rain-X Windshield Washer Fluid - 1 star reviews
Old 04-03-2015, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Quick fix for poor souls who suffered from evil Rain-X. Go to nearest pharmacy, buy two 22 oz bottles of 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Empty your washer fluid reservoir by constantly running the pump for 2 min. Pour both bottles of rubbing alcohol into reservoir. Put a few drops of dishwasher soap in each empty bottle, fill with hot water (I used my instant hot water faucet in the kitchen) - be careful, use thick gloves. Add hot water/soap mix into the reservoir. Drive around a bit to have it mixed, spray windshield (and back window if Avant) for a few seconds until Rain-X stops coming out and your clean soapy mix starts spraying and leave your car for an hour. The light will be gone by then. Use the soapy mix as usual washer fluid (if summer) or drain it immediately (if winter) then re-fill with blue liquid, or any Prestone brand washer fluid. God luck and good speed.

Rosty.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Jack-E,
Rosty's method works like a charm... Light was out in 45 mins ! I told my dealer how I cleared it and they may even try it INSTEAD of going thru the wheel well !

Thanks again Rosty ...
Old 04-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Went to the dealer to remedy the problem awhile back. They swapped out a few parts, forgot which ones. Been sticking to the blue stuff since and no problems whatsoever. Since people aren't encountering any problems with the Prestone, i might swap to that when its warmer. and I'll keep in mind with the isopropyl alcohol in the future if i were to run into any problems.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RostyVyg
Quick fix for poor souls who suffered from evil Rain-X. Go to nearest pharmacy, buy two 22 oz bottles of 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Empty your washer fluid reservoir by constantly running the pump for 2 min. Pour both bottles of rubbing alcohol into reservoir. Put a few drops of dishwasher soap in each empty bottle, fill with hot water (I used my instant hot water faucet in the kitchen) - be careful, use thick gloves. Add hot water/soap mix into the reservoir. Drive around a bit to have it mixed, spray windshield (and back window if Avant) for a few seconds until Rain-X stops coming out and your clean soapy mix starts spraying and leave your car for an hour. The light will be gone by then. Use the soapy mix as usual washer fluid (if summer) or drain it immediately (if winter) then re-fill with blue liquid, or any Prestone brand washer fluid. God luck and good speed.

Rosty.
Awesome! This works for me. I actually had about 40% of the rubbing alcohol as specified in my house, but I tried it anyway.

Thank you, thank you!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield wiper fluid low warning constantly on