S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Tweaking the stock exhaust for a little more sound....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Do you know what they do then with the wires running to the valves?
The AWE exhaust includes caps - but they are not electrical; all they do is keep the connectors clean. The car will still store a code, but it doesn't light up on the dash or have any other effect.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
The only feedback to the ECU from the exhaust system comes from the exhaust gas temp sensor (usually in the exhaust manifold) and the oxygen sensors before and after the primary catalytic convertors. This is why you can use almost any cat-back exhaust without issue. Both the Milltek and AWE exhausts, for instance, have no flap mechansim whatsoever.
Hmmm, I thought AWE had valves. In this drawing of their S6 exhaust it looks like the valves are a little forward of the central muffler. Right by the red arrow that says "X-Pipe for Enhanced Sound and Power."

If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Delurker
The AWE exhaust includes caps - but they are not electrical; all they do is keep the connectors clean. The car will still store a code, but it doesn't light up on the dash or have any other effect.
Thanks. I will definitely look into this.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

No valves in the AWE exhaust.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I really didn't think the stock exhaust made any sound but just rushing air on my car. All of the sound is artificial inside of the car - and it did sound quite good too! I say did because since I went with the AWE exhaust, I only hear the healthy exhaust growl when I want to, and total silence when I want to. It's really that good, and I'm very particular with aspects of my cars.

As mentioned, there are no electronic flaps in the AWE system. An X pipe is as old as dirt as far as performance exhausts go. It provides a crossover of gasses for better flow and scavenging in a dual exhaust system.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M Traitor
I really didn't think the stock exhaust made any sound but just rushing air on my car. All of the sound is artificial inside of the car - and it did sound quite good too! I say did because since I went with the AWE exhaust, I only hear the healthy exhaust growl when I want to, and total silence when I want to. It's really that good, and I'm very particular with aspects of my cars.

As mentioned, there are no electronic flaps in the AWE system. An X pipe is as old as dirt as far as performance exhausts go. It provides a crossover of gasses for better flow and scavenging in a dual exhaust system.
Please explain. I know BMW plays "exhaust sound" through the car's audio system on the M5, but I don't believe that our cars are doing that. Porsche pipes in the actual exhaust sound into the cabin in both the Panamera and Cayenne nowadays. So what happens in the S6? I saw a video on youtube that had a GoPro cam attached to the back of an S6, and there was real exhaust sound.

Last edited by Vijay; 01-19-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The sound I like is when the windows are rolled down halfway. At this position the interior sound cancellation is switched off and you get to hear the deep tone of the exhaust. I agree that with the windows up most of the exhaust sound is absent.

Here's info on what ///M Traitor is referring to:

Old 01-19-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm almost 100% the S6 does not have that. It has active noise canceling when it's in 4 cylinder mode which is what the exhaust flaps are for. There is no artificial engine sounds however.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm also interested in a little more growl. A friend has the Merc E63 AMG wagon and that has a nice full sound. When he looked at my car he said "fire it up" to hear the exhaust but there was nothing, LOL. I like the tone inside when hitting the gas but I'm not sure if that's enhances or not.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
I'm almost 100% the S6 does not have that. It has active noise canceling when it's in 4 cylinder mode which is what the exhaust flaps are for. There is no artificial engine sounds however.
I copied this from the 4.0T study guide and I had found the part in ETKA in the past, so I'm pretty sure it's there. It doesn't get piped in through the audio system though so maybe it's more subtle.

Quick Reply: Tweaking the stock exhaust for a little more sound....