Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Using SD card in B&O stereo

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wunsch
You can set the MMI to play in random order. It stays within the folder you're in, but randomizes the order. So, lay out the folders on the SD card the way you want things grouped together, and you can then randomize them.
Is that a change for the 2013 MMI? In my 2012, you can randomize through the MMI, but you have to do it every time you start the car. You cannot get it to default to randomizing the music. Hence, I have one folder for all my music and play the songs in alphabetical order (pseudorandomization).
Old 11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Heresy64
Is that a change for the 2013 MMI? In my 2012, you can randomize through the MMI, but you have to do it every time you start the car. You cannot get it to default to randomizing the music. Hence, I have one folder for all my music and play the songs in alphabetical order (pseudorandomization).
Oh hmm. I didn't check whether the setting would stick, although it looked like one that would. I'll try that next time I'm out. If it does, I guess it's a 2013 change.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Heresy64
I have a 2012 and at least with my iPod, I have to reset random each time I start the car. I wish there was a way to make it stick.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wunsch
Oh hmm. I didn't check whether the setting would stick, although it looked like one that would. I'll try that next time I'm out. If it does, I guess it's a 2013 change.
My 2013 does indeed retain the "random" setting.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've downloaded music to the Jukebox, including some soundtracks. Is there a way to get the Jukebox to play the songs in the correct order? When selecting the album all of the songs are shown in alphabetical order, which isn't what I want for a movie or broadway album. I have a 2011 A4.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by A4rodo
I've downloaded music to the Jukebox, including some soundtracks. Is there a way to get the Jukebox to play the songs in the correct order? When selecting the album all of the songs are shown in alphabetical order, which isn't what I want for a movie or broadway album. I have a 2011 A4.
It's not a real elegant solution, but try renaming the tracks and putting numbers in front of the original track name. If you have 10 or more tracks you'll need to start with 01, 02, etc.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This may not be new information but I discovered that random playback does stick as long as the playlist files are at the very top level along with the artist folders on the SD card. If you put the playlists in a folder, random will not stick. I've tried it both ways and that's how it works for me on my 2014.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have my SQ5 to try it yet, but in my GTI it understands playlists on my USB and SD cards.

I never use them because I like to listen to whole albums but it is an option.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Just to clarify, An SD card will only randomize a single folder. If you organize your music by placing all songs from a single album in one folder (Artist folder>Album folder), it will just randomize that album folder and after all songs in that album are played, it will move on to the next album folder. The Jukebox, as with an iPod/iPhone via AMI, can differentiate by ignoring folders and randomizing all songs on the hard drive (it also includes the album browser feature). Note that the 40GB Jukebox can hold approx. 20GB of media files with the other 20GB used for the MMI and Nav data. Audi specs SDHC cards at up to 32GB but reports indicate 64GB SDHC cards are being used successfully.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Just to clarify, An SD card will only randomize a single folder.
And playlist, of course, which is treated in the same fashion. Comes down to needing to select the first song to play and the system queueing the rest of the songs shown on that screen (which is just a basic file browser).

Quick Reply: Using SD card in B&O stereo