S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Changing brake pads

Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing brake pads

Any tips for changing the pads on a 2002 s4?
Going to change them tonight. I read the article from resources.
Also, Do i NEED a brake caliper tool?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

depends if your doing the front pads you can just use a c-clamp to push the piston back in, if its the rear you need a tool to twist and push the piston back. also make sure to lube the slide pins and use disc brake quiet on the pads so they dont make noise.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm doing both. front and rears (thought front is needed more atm).

The 2 slide pins that get removed from the inside of the caliper?

And I'm not sure what disc brake quiet is.... I know some brakes have "silencers". if that's what you're refering to.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've removed and reinstalled the brakes a whie ago when I did the wheel bearings (rear), also think i took the fronts off too. just been a while. and that was in a friends shop with a lift / tools.

I think this time might be in a small garage or driveway.. so im trying to prepare...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok so your gunna need the special tool to twist the piston for the rear you can get it from harbor freight or I think ecs, and yea the 2 slide pins that go into the caliper you want to clean them up and lube them with caliper grease which you can get at any auto parts store, also check for deep scratches on them and replace if needed. Disc brake quiet You can also get at any auto parts store which is a paste that you put on the backing plate of the pads so they don't squeal
Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt01A4
Ok so your gunna need the special tool to twist the piston for the rear you can get it from harbor freight or I think ecs, and yea the 2 slide pins that go into the caliper you want to clean them up and lube them with caliper grease which you can get at any auto parts store, also check for deep scratches on them and replace if needed. Disc brake quiet You can also get at any auto parts store which is a paste that you put on the backing plate of the pads so they don't squeal
Yip you will need one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...kit-69053.html

OR

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...25961363-P_x_x

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

The harbor freight style tool can be obtained from Autozone for just a deposit, although it only has one screw clamp so you'd need to do one wheel at a time.

Don't the HP2 brake pads just slide out of the caliper without removing the caliper from the mounting bracket? I thought that one just needed to remove the retaining spring and the pads slide right out, then the caliper can be removed and the rotor comes off of the hub. I'd use a large screwdriver to push the old pads back in to reset the pistons before removing the retaining spring.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

for those wondering, the ONLY tools required are:
jack
tool to remove tire
pliers
large flat head screw driver
another large flat head screw driver, but anything to pry will work
(optional) brake quiet.

Here is a video that shows how to replace them.

Very easy.

Apply brake quiet to the backs of the new pads first.
Remove wheel.
Remove brake fluid reservoir cap.
Inclip the brake pad sensor wire.
Unclip the spring holding the pads in place.
Pry the caliper lose (there is a small notch you can get your flat head in). and just work it until the calipers open up, and then you can just slide the brake pads out.

insert the new pads in the same way the came out (assuming they didnt just fall out the back side).

For the front side: the large nipple on the back side has to line up with the hole it fits in to.
The back side (inside) the 2 small nipples just fit in to where the large hole for the caliper.

You want to make sure the Make and female sections at the tip of the pad are lined up, and inserted fully (i used a hammer to tap it in, very lightly)

put the metal clip back in place

Pump the brakes a few times to get the the calipers to close, make sure the nipples fit in to the hole.

Put wheel back in place

I believe i got it all. Hopefully people will See this when they google (likely on their phones)