A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air strut height sensitivity to temp changes

Old 12-31-2013, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air strut height sensitivity to temp changes

Hi. You guys have me paranoid with regards to the air suspension.

Does anyone have any evidence that temp changes will change the height? IE car is hot, parked at a hot time of the day. Car cools/as well as ambient by about 25 degrees or so, overnight. How much of a drop in the car would one see?

on the flip side has anyone seen the height of the car raise? i am sure i was in a situation last week when i initially started the car (sat overnight) that it dropped ever so slightly.

i don't have any real reason to believe that i am having problems as of yet, but this AM shortly after touching the door handle button, the accumulator dumped some air into the front struts. this has never happened before, and i parked the car yesterday at the peak temp of the day after driving for a while, with overnight we had a bit of a temp change.

i have never heard the compressor run before, until i tested all outputs today via VCDS. obviously it does, just not frequent enough that i have ever noticed it and like i said you boys have me paranoid, (fueled by the fact that my indy won't play ball with Arnott). car only has 42k miles on it and is a 2008.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same sort of issue also. The car would be fine all day, sitting at the same height. Overnight parking would find the front "aired out". Now that even colder weather has set in the car would be lower by the end of the work day on occasion.
The reservoir will put air back into the system when the car is unlocked (door handle sensor) prior to starting. There are threads throughout here which touch on suspension issues and I have heard of the "overnight issue". Best bet would be to browse through those, I am sure the experts will chime in here.
I am guessing I am going to have to do a leak check on my own system in the near future, hopefully struts are not on the list.