Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Intro! From E90 M3 to SQ5? wtf

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks amazing!! I just bought a 2010 Q5 3.2 Prestige yesterday and love it!
Old 12-28-2013, 04:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats on the purchase. Not sure I could give up my E90 M3 for an SQ5. I find with snows my M3 still works very well in the snow.

Currently love our Q5 and will be upgrading to an SQ5 or macan. Very hard choice now that the macan is out and very similarly priced and of course is supposed to drive better than the Audi. Will have to test drive but damn, too many options on a porsche makes ordering very difficult
Old 06-26-2014, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So I've had my SQ5 for 7 months and almost 7k miles now. I still check M3Post forums and drool over M3s all the time, but as someone who wanted to get away from the track setting (too expensive, technically a bit dangerous) and get more into the mountains, I'm still a big fan of my decision. I'm speeding out to the trails several days a week for mountain biking or hiking and that is waaaay more rewarding than getting tickets in my former cop magnet or replacing brake pads and track tires.

BTW I also put on Michelin PSS summer tires and they really make the SQ5 even more enjoyable if you drive with a lead foot like me.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
So I've had my SQ5 for 7 months and almost 7k miles now. I still check M3Post forums and drool over M3s all the time, but as someone who wanted to get away from the track setting (too expensive, technically a bit dangerous) and get more into the mountains, I'm still a big fan of my decision. I'm speeding out to the trails several days a week for mountain biking or hiking and that is waaaay more rewarding than getting tickets in my former cop magnet or replacing brake pads and track tires.

BTW I also put on Michelin PSS summer tires and they really make the SQ5 even more enjoyable if you drive with a lead foot like me.

The PSS are awesome tires, did not know they made versions for SUV's that meet the load ratings. Will have to look into that. Fortunately I still have my M3 to enjoy. Our Q5 has served us very well over the past 4 years but we have been drawn away by the Macan! It has been a long wait but we should be picking in a week! Still love the Audi interior, hope the Porsche button mania will be ok to live with.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by anselmw
The PSS are awesome tires, did not know they made versions for SUV's that meet the load ratings. Will have to look into that. Fortunately I still have my M3 to enjoy. Our Q5 has served us very well over the past 4 years but we have been drawn away by the Macan! It has been a long wait but we should be picking in a week! Still love the Audi interior, hope the Porsche button mania will be ok to live with.
Turbo or S model? Congrats either way! You'll have to let us know what you think of it compared to your M and Q5. I could see myself in a used Turbo in a few years.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by anselmw
Our Q5 has served us very well over the past 4 years but we have been drawn away by the Macan! It has been a long wait but we should be picking in a week! Still love the Audi interior, hope the Porsche button mania will be ok to live with.
Well, it's still a VAG, and still essentially an SQ5 at its heart, just with a healthy dose of Porsche slathered all over (good or bad, depending on which piece and what your preferences are). Definitely let us know what you (and anyone else making the same sort of switch, or even just buying the Macan without coming from a Q5) think of the Macan. Hopefully the existence of it is justified, unlike the Cayenne when it came out, where unless you were getting the Turbo even the Porsche guys were recommending just getting a Touareg and saving a boatload of cash.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
Turbo or S model? Congrats either way! You'll have to let us know what you think of it compared to your M and Q5. I could see myself in a used Turbo in a few years.

We first put an order in for the S but by the time we put the options on that we wanted, we were well into Turbo price so we ended up getting a turbo and then putting even more options on. At least from an ordering perspective, Audi has more features standard than Porsche. If you compared and SQ5 fully optioned up and a Macan S optioned with the same features, price is significantly more.

Hopefully the driving experience justifies the switch, will let you guys know once we get it.