Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

LED Headlights to be on new 2013 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we're all getting up in a twist way too soon. The car might have just led drl's, and not full led lighting.

Press releases have been known to make mistakes.

I wouldn't cry too much and worry about what Honda is doing even if they did have led lights. And there's all different qualities of LED lights.

Many a $50,000 Mercedes don't even have leather interior standard.

How many people protest about that?

Last edited by jperryrocks; 08-09-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than longevity, I've never understood the attraction of LED headlights.

My 2008 Lexus LS 600hL has them, and while better than standard headlights, I prefer the brighter Xenon HID lights.

By the way, while my headlights are LED, my brights are standard, which shows a strange yellow/white mix when I use the brights.

HBH
Old 08-09-2012, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Helmar
Other than longevity, I've never understood the attraction of LED headlights.

My 2008 Lexus LS 600hL has them, and while better than standard headlights, I prefer the brighter Xenon HID lights.

By the way, while my headlights are LED, my brights are standard, which shows a strange yellow/white mix when I use the brights.

HBH
I disagree. The Audi LED's really lay down a carpet of light on any unlighted road improving visability considerably.The A6 high-beams are the same pure white color and light up signage vividly as well as lighting the road for quite a distance as well. I don't expect Honda would have as high a quality LED Headlight but it does indicate to me that LEDs are the future of automobile lighting for most makes in the not to distant future. As for me, I love my LED's.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by auditron
I disagree. The Audi LED's really lay down a carpet of light on any unlighted road improving visability considerably.The A6 high-beams are the same pure white color and light up signage vividly as well as lighting the road for quite a distance as well. I don't expect Honda would have as high a quality LED Headlight but it does indicate to me that LEDs are the future of automobile lighting for most makes in the not to distant future. As for me, I love my LED's.
I agree with you on the A6 LED headlights. They blow away my 2009 A4 HID's in brightness, high beam distance and side coverage.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by auditron
"Honda says it's going to stay ahead of the competition by giving the new Accord more upscale touches and new technology. It will get LED headlights, taillights and running lights, a feature typically found in luxury cars. The four-cylinder base engine will be paired with a more gas-efficient continuously variable transmission, or CVT, rather than a conventional automatic transmission. The new transmission is "not rubber-bandy" feeling, a reputation of many CVTs, Poponi asserts. Unlike many others, Accord still will offer a V-6, too".

Here is the quote of Honda's news release that mentions the LED Headlights to those that found it hard to believe.
The press release I read on Autoblog (not saying it is correct, but could be misleading) was "...LED daytime running lights, headlights, and taillights..." They split it up in a strange way to where I think it could be read either way, most likely they are LED headlamps, but based on the sedan picture they don't look as nice as the A6 LED's. I didn't like the way the headlights looked at all...
Old 08-09-2012, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI
well, this is a jump. Accords dont even have XENON, along with 65% of the cars still offered today dont even have xenon, and car manufactures are skipping xenon straight to LED...Hard to believe but i guess with the governments CAFE rating being rased to 54.6 MPG they have to do what ever it takes to save 1/10th of a gallon here and there.

BMW is working on lasers and nearly have it perfected, give it three years and LED will be standard across the board and LASER will be the next innovation package. but i can almost guarantee that honda will offer LED's as a upgrade, it wont be stock

i didnt shell out the 1400 for the LED, i dont like the way the LED DRL looks split up and i also think its too new for the market and gimmicky....for now
Sensible post, although I'd say there's no guarantee that LEDs like HID become the norm.

I also didn't go LED and have no regrets. I think the car looks far more complete and aggressive with the projectile HIDs, but I disagree with LEDs being gimmicky and too new. It's proven technology that's finally being widely adopted. I even run LEDs on my fishtank.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like this new trend that Honda is starting.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks like LED headlights on this Kia test car.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/27/k...totype-in-the/
Old 08-11-2012, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tucker74
Sensible post, although I'd say there's no guarantee that LEDs like HID become the norm.

I also didn't go LED and have no regrets. I think the car looks far more complete and aggressive with the projectile HIDs, but I disagree with LEDs being gimmicky and too new. It's proven technology that's finally being widely adopted. I even run LEDs on my fishtank.
ohh no, i completely agree with your LED statement. I know how LED's work and what has to go into them to keep them cool so they dont burn out as quick especially in cars where they produce a tremendous amount of heat because of the brightness they have to be.

personally i dont think a heatsink is enough to keep them cool and lasting, especially under a hot hood. They are the way of the future for all lighting (all my christmas lights, accent lighting under the kitchen cabinets and my shed all have LEDs) but in a car application there are so many variables i doubt they will have the longevity down. im curious to see how they are holding up 3 years from now.

I feel the only way to keep these lasting is using an active cooling system rather then passive, they should be liquid cooled IMHO.

and personally i like the look of the Projectors/LED ribbon much better then the LED headlights. I think it gives it the same aggressive look if not more because of the projector location. We do not regret our decision at all.

I do feel that LED's are definitely not ready for the mainstream car like an accord
Old 08-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very true. Many folks make the mistake of believing that LEDs don't generate heat. In fact, they generate a TON of heat, they just don't radiate that heat like a filament type bulb. Most LEDs have some fairly robust passive cooling built in (i.e., heatsink). And while LEDs CAN last forever, their durability scales down dramatically if they pass specific temperature ranges. When heat is managed properly, LEDs can last upwards of 20k-30k hours, even at high intensity levels.

The big benefit that LEDs have over HID and incandescent is that they're much more efficient in generating light (think lumens per watt). Recently, with the proliferation of electrically driven systems on cars, some OEM auto manufacturers were contemplating leaving the existing 12 volt electrical system behind in favor of a higher voltage system. One way to stay with 12 volts is to use the existing system more efficiently. I suspect that LEDs help that cause considerably.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights to be on new 2013 Honda Accord