A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

big problem

Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big problem

hello guys
im new to the forum
and i need help

i have a 98 A6 quattro
with 168000 miles on it
about a month ago the abs light came on and the brake light kept flashing
and today i finally decided to go and check the car

they found 3 codes

1-16795 p0411 035
sec.air inj.sys
incorrect flow detected

2-18014 p1606 035
rough road spec engine torque ABS-ECU
electrical malfunction

3-16486 p0102 035
mass or volume air flow circ.
low input
sporadic dtc

they told they wanted around 3000$ to repair the car
and i want to try and do it myself with your help guys
anyone has a sugestion
im desperate
Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I'd start by testing the MAF. It can be related to most of those codes.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think these are "big" problems - I would GUESS (and it's just that without further diagnosis) that you can do this for under $1000, possibly under $500, and maybe even less.

If you had a Vag-Com, you could do more diagnosis - but the first thing that comes to mind for #2 is the ABS/Wheel Speed sensors in the wheels being dirty (they collect dirt and grease in the wheels - you can gently remove and clean), being bad (they are about $150 each to replace I think), or the brake switch being faulty. Worst case scenario is the ABS module went bad, which I've never had happen - but that would $150-300 to rebuild at module masters and quite a bit more new. Not sure if this is a module that others on the board would rebuild or not - I know the Air Bag Module shouldn't be rebuilt.

If you don't have a VAG-COM, visually inspect the ABS sensors and clean. If that doesn't work, my next step would be to buy a new brake switch for $30 which may be the problem - but I'm not sure. Others on here may chime in and say this is definately not it...but for $30, it's a part that often fails and isn't a hassle to replace.

The next guess on #3 is a bad MAF, which you can replace yourself but may cost a few hundred $$ for the part.

If you have a vag-com, you can run more tests on much of this to see how things react.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

clean your air mass meter for the last code, or it may need replaced, but clean it and see if the code comes back

for the first code, probably a vac leak or your pump isn't working. this is very comon on this car you may get lucky and find it quickly or could take some time. Start with the big plastic lines going to the valve covers make sure they are not cracked, then remove the suction pump (the big black Y pipe it's about 4 inches long) make sure it isn't clogged, I bet it is. clean it or probably best to replace it if you don't know how it is supposed to work, they are about $15 thru ECS tuning.
if all this is good confirm your air pump is working check the fuse in the ECU box, and jump the motor to confirm it works, or on a cold start see if it is comming on Sounds like a vacuum motor,
If you are not familiar with these items do a search, these are the most common issues with this car!

as for the ABS, the module could be bad, can you access the module with Vag or how did you get this code?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jschick
clean your air mass meter for the last code, or it may need replaced, but clean it and see if the code comes back

for the first code, probably a vac leak or your pump isn't working. this is very comon on this car you may get lucky and find it quickly or could take some time. Start with the big plastic lines going to the valve covers make sure they are not cracked, then remove the suction pump (the big black Y pipe it's about 4 inches long) make sure it isn't clogged, I bet it is. clean it or probably best to replace it if you don't know how it is supposed to work, they are about $15 thru ECS tuning.
if all this is good confirm your air pump is working check the fuse in the ECU box, and jump the motor to confirm it works, or on a cold start see if it is comming on Sounds like a vacuum motor,
If you are not familiar with these items do a search, these are the most common issues with this car!

as for the ABS, the module could be bad, can you access the module with Vag or how did you get this code?
i took the car to a shop,they do just audis and vws
they did the diagnostics
and i wrote here in the forum what they wrote in the paper