Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Took delivery of my C7 (details in signature) on Saturday and wanted to share my initial thoughts and some information. I also wanted to say thank you to all of you. Especially to Snagitseven, ManishAudi, MileHighJC, German Garage and Grapeking. Your threads and responses were very informative.

My car had a build date around the last week of September. I mention this because when I checked the software version it was different from K0566 most had mentioned and replaced with K0609_2

The Drive: Nothing short of amazing. It has been very hard to keep it under the speed limit even while keeping the revs under 3.5k. Handling is really good. How do I know? From the screams of "daddy" from my son sitting in the back seat as i was coming off a clover on ramp onto the highway. He thought i was going too fast but at no point did I feel the car get unsettled or begin to understeer. Very well balanced. Ive heard a lot of complaints about Audi steering feel. Being a life long Honda and Acura guy, i see it, but i dont see it. My last car was Nissan GTR R34 (Japan Model). Compared to that, yes steering is sluggish and animated. However it seems just fine for $60k luxury SEDAN. Suspension not quite what i was expecting but i attribute that to the 20's and sportier suspension settings. I was expecting a softer Luxury SEDAN ride.

Interior- Its a masterpiece. In my Acuras and Hondas, you get an overdose of Buttons. In the Audi its just right. Nice mixture of buttons, *****, lights and trim. I would add one button, a previous track button or at least give the programmable button the ability to multi-task. Single click skip to next track, double click go back a track. As discussed in other threads the floor mats are crappy. Will be ordering some new ones ASAP.

Music- Thanks Snagitseven for the Delivery pickup checklist as my dealer initially gave me the blue grommet AMI cable which i had them exchange for the red one. I know it worked because i watched Gangnam Style video from my ipod to help me with my celebratory delivery dance!! The Bose is not nearly as bad as what everyone makes it out to be. I was surely going to do the sub upgrade until i listened to it myself. I listen to a lot of hip hop, r&b, pop, dance, rock so *** is important to me and the bass levels were sufficient. At least that's what i thought while the car was sitting still. Shooting down the freeway at 65 its a little bit different. The low lows are gone unless the volume is over 23. Other than that i think it sounds good enough that i dont want to sacrifice trunk space to do the upgrade.

Technology- Sensory overload. There is too much going on in that cabin!! Thankfully most of it is behind the scenes. I felt like a little school girl the way i giggled through an hour of traffic on the 405 as the Adaptive cruise control did its thing. It was like a leap of faith the first time but once it worked for 10 minutes I couldn't get over how awesome it was. I was still scared and covered the brake the whole time. Seamless integration with my iPhone 5. Bluetooth streaming was easy and my phone book was copied over flawlessly. The only area i would say needs improvement are the voice prompts during navigation, and routing. Twice the system had me drive all the way around the block instead of telling me to make u-turn, and the voice prompts came a little too late or not at all on some turns. The online searches, online destinations and wifi hotspot all functioned very nicely. Yes I got the 50% off T-Mobile deal.

Exterior- The car looks so mean with the LED headlights. Its just beautiful. Brake Dust!! After lunch today as I approached my car I noticed that a bird left me a nice present on the hood of my car. I wasnt sure if it happened in the parking lot at the mall i was eating lunch at or the night before in the Hotel parking garage. To make things worse was nearly 150 miles away from home, so there was no way I could clean it. I went to the closest auto parts store and bought some micro fiber cloths and had them direct me to the nearest touchless car wash. After a quick wash and drag dry I noticed a light film on the wheels at that point i only had 146 miles on the car.

My Dislikes and Concerns. I dont like how much noise the car makes when it starts up. Too much humming, buzzing, clicking blowing and whirring for my taste. Especiall the steering wheel. It makes a noticeable jerking motion and clunk everytime i start it. It's not that it's annoying, I'm more concerned with the longevity of all these moving parts. 3-5 years from now is that symphony of noises at startup going to become the Terry Crews Old Spice Music Muscle commercial.

No good pics yet as i picked the 1 of the 4 days it rains in southern california to take delivery. :-(

Again thanks to all the AWers and i look forward to solving problems with you.
Attached Images   
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats! C7 is an awesome car!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Rings4AL
I would add one button, a previous track button or at least give the programmable button the ability to multi-task. Single click skip to next track, double click go back a track.
Congrats, nice looking car, You can do next track/previous track using the two buttons below the volume control on the centre console
Old 12-18-2012, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. Looks nice!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Took delivery of my C7 (details in signature) on Saturday and wanted to share my initial thoughts and some information. I also wanted to say thank you to all of you. Especially to Snagitseven, ManishAudi, MileHighJC, German Garage and Grapeking. Your threads and responses were very informative.
On behalf of my fellow AudiWorld members, you're welcome; glad we could help.

My car had a build date around the last week of September. I mention this because when I checked the software version it was different from K0566 most had mentioned and replaced with K0609_2
Does your emergency brake always come on when you turn off the car and does the engine turn off when you open the driver door? If no, these are likely among the reported updates to this later software version.

Suspension not quite what i was expecting but i attribute that to the 20's and sportier suspension settings. I was expecting a softer Luxury SEDAN ride.
Check your tire pressures. Use the PSI for normal load as shown in the manual. Dealers typically set the pressures to the MAX load settings as shown on the door pillar which, frankly, are too high unless you have 5 passengers and a full trunk of luggage.

I dont like how much noise the car makes when it starts up. Too much humming, buzzing, clicking blowing and whirring for my taste. Especiall the steering wheel. It makes a noticeable jerking motion and clunk everytime i start it.
Have the dealer check the steering wheel when starting. It shouldn't be "jerking and clunking" but will make a small motor sound when moving smoothly. The other noises sound normal. The whirring may be your LED headlights self leveling. There's a lot of stuff going on when you wake up the car. (BTW, my wife says I exhibit all the noises you mentioned when I wake up in the morning).

Welcome to the club!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome to our bliss!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, you are officially now in Audi heaven.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Drive: Nothing short of amazing. It has been very hard to keep it under the speed limit even while keeping the revs under 3.5k. Handling is really good.
Welcome! You have now have the illness. There is no cure. Fortunately, driving helps calm it. Every time I turn onto an on-ramp, I find this silly grin on my face as I squeeze off the throttle. The acceleration is addictive. A friend of mine is planning on an S6. I'm afraid to drive it or I may consider selling a kid to fund a purchase (IM ONLY KIDDING!!!)

Ive heard a lot of complaints about Audi steering feel. Being a life long Honda and Acura guy, i see it, but i dont see it.
I have heard that too. It is more vague than my A4 was, but the A6 is built to be more of a "luxury sports sedan" than a "sports sedan" (if that makes any sense). In the end, I was coming down to an S4, or the A6 - very different cars, and I decided that THIS time, I wanted a little smoother driving car. I have been rewarded.

Interior- Its a masterpiece
You will get endless compliments on the interior.

As discussed in other threads the floor mats are crappy. Will be ordering some new ones ASAP.
I will wind up with two sets. I have already installed the winter mats (OEM). They work great this time of year. I was seriously tempted for the Weathertechs which a probably better functionally, but maybe not quite as attractive to me. I will be ordering new fabric mats in the spring - I'm leaning towards the Lloyds right now.

Congrats!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again thanks to all the AWers and i look forward to solving problems with you.
Originally Posted by snagitseven
On behalf of my fellow AudiWorld members, you're welcome; glad we could help.
+1 What snagitseven said.

All the other members here have been a great help to me. It is great to be able to keep that tradition going.

Happy motoring!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
+1 What snagitseven said.

All the other members here have been a great help to me. It is great to be able to keep that tradition going.

Happy motoring!
+1 to snagitseven and manishaudi. This forum is a fantastic resource. It was great when I was in the buying process, and it continues to help me get the most out of the car. Always good to hear that others are also getting value out it it...

Quick Reply: FIRST IMPRESSIONS