Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Extreme cold vs TDI

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A3 TDI sat outside and started right up yesterday morning at -17.

I am using power service anti gel, and it was plugged in, so it's kinda cheating...
Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
my diesel trucks and leave them plugged in. I am get surprised VW/Audi does not offer and engine block heater.
Both of my 2011 A3 TDI's in the family plug in with block heaters.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Having been born in Maine, going to school at Syracuse and being stationed in the Air Force in Great Falls Montana, I finally decided to move south to just outside Green Bay Wisconsin (yeah, it's true I don't do heat well). In my opinion, the deal with diesel isn't the vehicle it's in, it the fuel itself. When they say "gel", it really does look like sludge that no fuel pump will pump. If you get your fuel from a dealer that sells a lot of it (truck stop) probably not a problem. If from the local dealer in nowhere I'd add the gel fluid as that fuel may be from this summer.
My brother had a 63 Series II Land Rover diesel in Maine in the 60's. We just let it run all the time in this weather. Can still smell it.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

10°F overnight here in NC and Q5 TDI stays outside. Started up no problem this morning (actually quicker than it does some other times - delay to glow).

Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

If y'all want to see what's happening to the much larger TDI community this week, look over here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com//search.php?do=getdaily
Old 01-07-2014, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow I haven't been paying attention to the news lately. It's just another cold front here in Boston with temps in the teens today. I didn't know it was the same temp in NC and OK too, holy cow! Sorry I have no problems with starting mine up since it's garaged.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Do your fuel retailers sell "Winter Diesel"? Here in Oklahoma they don't mention any seasonal additives....it's always just plain old low-sulphur fuel regardless of season.
I called around to several stations near my house near Tulsa asking if they get winterized diesel at their station. Most didn't know what I was talking about but I finally found a Shell station that said that the last bill for their diesel delivery specifically stated that it was winter diesel. I assume that means that the other Shell stations also get it but not sure. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One station here has a sticker stating it's treated to -10. But here in Iowa we have to look out for biodiesel as well as I don't want that crap in the Q. In fact, the sticker on the fuel flap states no biodiesel... not a big fan of gasohol in my vintage cars either and in Iowa you can get shot for not liking gasohol!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Guys, in the USA, fuel is treated at the distributor for anticipated low temps in that region. There's a map I've seen showing the treatment strategy across the country and how it varies month to month. You have to believe that if fuel is being sold in a cold climate, it's been treated for local conditions. They couldn't pump it othewise.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default D975

from Wiki, likely dated info:

Originally Posted by Wiki

United States

In the United States the states do not have legislation on a fixed time frame when winter diesel must meet a specific temperature characteristic. The ASTM D 975 standard does not specify the cold flow requirements of diesel fuel. Instead, it suggests that the cloud point be no more than 6°C higher than the 10th percentile minimum ambient temperature for the month the fuel will be used. The 10th percentile temperature corresponds to the minimum temperature that would be reached no more than 3 days out of 30 for the month (decile). The ASTM D 975 contains overview maps that show the expected tenth percentile temperature for every month for each state.<sup id="cite_ref-34" class="reference">[34]</sup>

Using these guidelines gas stations offer "winter ready diesel" for sale to the Motorist - there are two ways to achieve this:
  • winter blend - the gas station has blended the No.2 diesel with No.1(kerosene) by some percentage.
  • winterized diesel - the No.2 diesel has been treated with additives by the diesel supplier.
As the treatment with additives (1:40000<sup id="cite_ref-35" class="reference">[35]</sup>) is a cheaper way to enhance No.2 fuel in winter, most stations offer winterized diesel in cold weather conditions. In regions with colder weather, most gas stations offer No.1 fuel at the same pump allowing drivers to decide for themselves on a winter blend.

I suspect the trend is away from use of kerosene. It's less expensive for them to add anit-gel and anti-icing agents. Also, kerosene has poor lubricity which could do harm to these ultra high pressure injection pumps.

October, USA:

Name:  map_zps29b88cad.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  221.2 KB