Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Reading an Audi Dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reading an Audi Dipstick

I'd like to know if the dealership over-filled my engine oil. I've got a real dipstick for the check (the MMI shows full, but really no way to show over-full as far as I can tell).

Bare dipstick (top image below):

Dipstick from engine currently (vehicle on a level surface) (second image below):

Note that the oil level covers the "MAX" mark completely. Is this the way "full" should look, or is "full" supposed to be to the right of "MAX" at the bend in the dip stick?

When I changed oil at 1000 miles, I had the oil level to the right of "MAX" at the bend, and the MMI display read full.
Attached Images   
Old 10-05-2013, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks overfill to me. Let is sit overnight and check Again. If it's above the line again, you've got issues.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Looks overfilled

Should be no higher than that upper slight bend of dipstick at most AFAIK. I've seen better marked dipsticks from Audi, but it's either that or only where those diamond pattern marks are stamped into it further toward the center of the offset bend area.

I have the regular 2.0T dipstick (assuming that is what you are using), so I'll stick it back into the Hybrid when it's back tomorrow night and report back. It still has the Euro factory fill, the display last read full, and none has been added.

I'm guessing that like me, you found that dipstick won't fit in there permanently and clear the top motor Hybrid trim cover.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, and I bought it in part to leave it in all the time.

BTW, the vehicle had been sitting for at least two hours. The engine was cold.

I suspected from the dipstick reading that it was too full, but I wanted confirmation .
Old 10-06-2013, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gtwagon941
Looks overfill to me. Let is sit overnight and check Again. If it's above the line again, you've got issues.
2nd that - No matter how good the dealership is mistakes happen and why I don't rely on the MMI either
Old 10-06-2013, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can confirm that my dipstick is the commonly accepted part for the 2.0 TFSI engine (PN#: 06J-115-611-E).

Can someone who does their own oil changes on this engine confirm what this dipstick reads with the engine nominally full if oil?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On this topic...just picked up our SQ5 and I'd like a physical dipstick...is that a possibility on the SQ5?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by gtwagon941
On this topic...just picked up our SQ5 and I'd like a physical dipstick...is that a possibility on the SQ5?
I'm not 100% sure but I think you need S / N: 06E-115-611H
Your model has the same tube for oil dipstick S/N: 06E-115-630B as well as other models that use the S/N 06E-115-611H

http://www.europaparts.com/oil-dipstick-06e115611h.html
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/06E115611H/ES280765/ or http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/06E115611H/ES2070647/

Last edited by spijun; 10-06-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Remember they suck your old oil out...

Originally Posted by Steppenaudi
I'd like to know if the dealership over-filled my engine oil. I've got a real dipstick for the check (the MMI shows full, but really no way to show over-full as far as I can tell).

Bare dipstick (top image below):

Dipstick from engine currently (vehicle on a level surface) (second image below):

Note that the oil level covers the "MAX" mark completely. Is this the way "full" should look, or is "full" supposed to be to the right of "MAX" at the bend in the dip stick?

When I changed oil at 1000 miles, I had the oil level to the right of "MAX" at the bend, and the MMI display read full.
to do the oil change, and if they don't suck it "all" out and replace it with the specified new amount it will be over filled. I persoanlly don't think that you have any problem here with a slightly overfilled level. The crankshaft needs to hit the oil to make foam to cause any problems. Your oil level is way below the crankshaft at this point, the Audi engineers know that with this sucking out the old oil that potential for overfilling exists and they gave you a lot of room for error. My 2002 A4 required 6.7 quarts of oil, I always dumped in all 7 quarts, zero problems. You will be surprise how little oil is needed to be removed to bring it down to the "X" on the MAX mark. My factory fill was at the "X" of the MAX mark and is still there 1500 miles later so I hope I got a good 2.0T that doesn't consume oil.

Have you ever thought about how high the oil level gets towards the crankshaft in the sump when the vehicle goes up/down a very steep incline? So that tells you there is ample clearance from the oil level to the crankshaft.

If it really bothers you just go to the dealer and let him suck out a few oz/mL to give you what you want. It should take only a few minutes. For a DIY, all you need is a hollow rod/tubing of plastic and a turkey baster (1$ at dollar store) duck tape it on to the tubing and suck out the oil overfill quantity.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 10-06-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
to do the oil change, and if they don't suck it "all" out and replace it with the specified new amount it will be over filled. I persoanlly don't think that you have any problem here with a slightly overfilled level. The crankshaft needs to hit the oil to make foam to cause any problems. Your oil level is way below the crankshaft at this point, the Audi engineers know that with this sucking out the old oil that potential for overfilling exists and they gave you a lot of room for error. My 2002 A4 required 6.7 quarts of oil, I always dumped in all 7 quarts, zero problems. You will be surprise how little oil is needed to be removed to bring it down to the "X" on the MAX mark. My factory fill was at the "X" of the MAX mark and is still there 1500 miles later so I hope I got a good 2.0T that doesn't consume oil.

Have you ever thought about how high the oil level gets towards the crankshaft in the sump when the vehicle goes up/down a very steep incline? So that tells you there is ample clearance from the oil level to the crankshaft.

If it really bothers you just go to the dealer and let him suck out a few oz/mL to give you what you want. It should take only a few minutes. For a DIY, all you need is a hollow rod/tubing of plastic and a turkey baster (1$ at dollar store) duck tape it on to the tubing and suck out the oil overfill quantity.
I'm a first-time Audi owner, so I no experience with how much engineering margin was provided in the oil level and crankshaft clearance. I would estimate from the dipstick that there's at least a half-quart too much oil in the engine. I could suck out oil until I hit the right level on the dipstick with a hand vacuum pump if necessary. I did this for an oil sample before the 5K service for a UOA.

However I'd like to know if the dipstick reading is valid based on an owner-performed oil/filter change with the specified oil volume in the engine. Since the vehicle didn't come with a dipstick, what I have may be over-estimating the fill level.

Quick Reply: Reading an Audi Dipstick