Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

Need to find sport springs that don't rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to find sport springs that don't rust

I used to have an Infiniti FX45 before moving to a Q7. I had installed Eibach springs to lower it and get rid of that huge wheel well space. Years later, I was driving and heard a huge bang, with my steering going crazy. Luckily I did not lose control, but I did find out my front spring snapped on me. Shortly after, noticed the back spring was snapped too.

My guess is that our Canadian winters and salty roads slowly eroded away at that corrosion coating around the spring, and eventually ate away at the steel spring.

I now find myself wanting to drop the Q7, but I do not want to risk my life, or lose control of the truck, just for the sake of making it look good.

Does anyone have any recommendations for drop springs that are really rust proof, and not just coated with a paint to protect it.

Thanks
Neil
Old 03-18-2013, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

In quickly reading around on the net, it seems that H&R has the same rusting issues that I had with Eibach, so H&R will be scratched from the list as well. I read somewhere that ACS springs are better built and can withstand rust a lot better. Any comments on ACS springs or any others to withstand rust and harsh winters ?

Originally Posted by neilsakaitis
I used to have an Infiniti FX45 before moving to a Q7. I had installed Eibach springs to lower it and get rid of that huge wheel well space. Years later, I was driving and heard a huge bang, with my steering going crazy. Luckily I did not lose control, but I did find out my front spring snapped on me. Shortly after, noticed the back spring was snapped too.

My guess is that our Canadian winters and salty roads slowly eroded away at that corrosion coating around the spring, and eventually ate away at the steel spring.

I now find myself wanting to drop the Q7, but I do not want to risk my life, or lose control of the truck, just for the sake of making it look good.

Does anyone have any recommendations for drop springs that are really rust proof, and not just coated with a paint to protect it.

Thanks
Neil
Old 03-18-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is there anyone out there with drop springs in harsh winters with salt ?? Looking for recommendations on springs that I can rely on that won't rust and snap on me like the Eibachs did.

Thanks
Neil
Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like poor maintenance................

Wash your car under.

Funny how people don't get it...................................
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Trust me when I tell you my car was washed under. You have to understand something, with a lowered vehicle, it sure looks nice in the summer, but in the winter, you just removed half the space where snow can accumulate. The original height allows for some snow to blow thru, but when dropped, it's a snow plow in there. Now even though I did try to clean the snow out, sometimes it is next to impossible to get it all out in one shot. Luckily I park inside at work, so it does have time to melt away. But point here is, no matter how clean you keep the car, you will always get thru snow storms, pick up a ton of road salt etc.

These guys who make these springs (H&R, Eibach) don't care about the Eastern folks. Would be nice for them to send their springs down to some test centers in the East for testing in the snow and ice and salt, and not just a few weeks of testing, but leave them on for a couple of years on some test cars.

If you do not believe me, just Google snapped springs, there are hundreds if not thousands of stories out there, and odds are, mostly from guys in the East who do not garage their cars for the harsh winters. I am just one of the many numbers out there.

So having said all the facts now, my question is simple folks. OEM springs hardly snap or rust (they probably do but not by the thousands like the aftermarkets), there has got to be some companies out there that make drop springs to OEM spec that can withstand the harshest of winters.

Thanks !!

Originally Posted by ProAudi
Sounds like poor maintenance................

Wash your car under.

Funny how people don't get it...................................
Old 03-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Um really ?? My mustangs all lowered and never rust ???

They are POWDERCOATED, SO HOW ARE yours so rusted. U say U washed the car, did U really ???

Just saying, never seen it with powder coated springs.

BTW I LIVE in Montana...................
Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I thank you for your response nonetheless, and am glad you have had success with drop springs and winter and salt. I will continue looking for a better made sport spring (compared to Eibach).

I am wondering if I am any better ahead with perhaps a coilover setup, sounds overkill for a Q7, but at least the 2 are mated better compared to aftermarket springs with OEM shocks, and in the winter I can raise the truck to get better snow clearance, and in the summer lower it down to the height I want. Sure the springs will still be powder coated and exposed to salt and snow just the same, but perhaps a better option. I know that coilovers are a LOT more expensive than just springs.

Thanks for your support. Hoping to hear back from others on this topic, I can't be the only one concerned with rusting sport springs and the only one on this forum with snapped sport springs.

Thanks guys !!!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just confused, Do U have any idea where a mustang spring is located ???

Its a WHOLE lot lower then a Audi, so how are U getting so much snow/salt so high up ???

I am from NY and NEVER had rust issues with a 78 Blazer. Called washing the truck with fresh water............

SO still confused WHY U have a issue when OEM springs are NOT powder coated...............................

So do tell.............
Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

No clue dude, maybe it was a defect, but had 2 snapped Eibach springs, and when speaking with buddies, they were not surprised at all, they knew many others in their car clubs that had also experienced snapped springs. I am not going to debate this one, washing, how many times per week, how low a spring is, that is not the point of my thread.

I just want to know from forum folks here what is the ultimate sport spring out there with the best corrosion resistance, ideally would like to find a spring that is stronger than OEM, not just metal coated with some paint.

I hear you on the point that OEM has no paint, aftermarket does, but it will take only 1 snap for you to come over the fence and be in my boat, where you lose faith in the craftmanship of what many consider to be a good product from the likes of Eibach and H&R. Not going to risk my life or my family's to some mediocre finishing done in California where they rarely see a salt truck.

Will just continue doing some more research on coilovers vs superior built sport springs.

Thank you for your time !

Neil
Old 09-08-2013, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am too from New England I go snowboarding 40 plus days a season. I buy steel rims and v rated snowtires and run them for the winter. Istead of hunkering down in a snow storm I HEAD on out in it. On my Ford Focus i had the spring snapped on me due to rust. I have an B5 now and i recently bought some coilovers that are used. I sent out the coilovers to be rebuilt/revalved. I have pair of H&R springs no idea which ones no sticker . While I wait for the rebuilt units to be ready I am lookjng at springs options. I am installing them and just raise the car when winter hits. I need to know if you were able to find any further info?